Home

Drifting Space Units

RC2080

I don't know whether this has been brought up or not, so I apologize in advance if it has..

Although it adds realism, the drifting units in space is kinda annoying. It looks cool, but I don't feel very secure having my bulk transports drift slowly towards the enemy front lines. Even worse is that I have a sneaking suspicion that they may even drift into asteroid fields and get destroyed. Is there any way to have the ship AIs to know not to slowly go towards the enemies/asteroids?

heh, I know what you mean, the units drifted quite a bit and during my first time playing the campaign I was going to set up an ambush with my capital ships and all, only to find that my capital ships ended up drifting into the enemy and the ambush was ruined.

I later found that with capital ships you can usually stop their drifting...at least it seemed like it by pressing the "stop" button. That way, by the end of the battle my transports wouldn't end up being on top of the enemy space station.

Its realistic becasue in space you cant stopp movement due to friction. before you say" how do they stop after firing their engines?" they have some cool space age technology im sure. but movement in space can never stop, bu then again mabr they can have some cool technology to stop them from drifting. It doesnt bother me though.

One bit of realism in a sea of otherwise unrealistic physics in Star Wars. ;)

Of course, they could be realistic AND "less annoying to gamers" by just having an animation of constant thrust/reverse thrust to keep the ship in the appearance of being in one place.

Well, I don't see how this even needs to be explained. After all, things like Blaster ammo, how Hyperdrive works etc are never explained in the films because, due to them being Fantasy films (not Sci-Fi as people seem to think) it doesn't matter how something works, only that it does.

Its realistic becasue in space you cant stopp movement due to friction. before you say" how do they stop after firing their engines?" they have some cool space age technology im sure. but movement in space can never stop, bu then again mabr they can have some cool technology to stop them from drifting. It doesnt bother me though.

You fire a thruster in the opposite direction from the one you are moving.. it's not sci-fi technology.. space shuttles, satelites and space stations have been using it for a while.

but it never shows a thruster firing backwards:P

I don't think he was disputing that, he was just saying that it was very possible and doesn't know why it doesn't happen in the game when it's very simple and something that we use with our primative technology. Those same thrusters are mentioned in several books even, albiet briefly.

Archived