Home

Shield Generators Pointless?

Dirk Pitt

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the tactical shield generators. It made for a challenging assault on the Imperial positions on Tatooine in the demo. I choose to punch tanks through the shield, clear a route, and destroy the generator. Then the artillery came in. I suppose I should have tried to bombard it, since I assumed my arty attacks wouldnt breach the shields. Hum.

Oh and Please, please devteam, no mobile Gungan-style dino-mounted shield generators though. The lessa the ep1 the betta.

Wow, when did this become a nerd discussion? The game doesn't have to be canon. Base shields start with stopping energy weapons, and apparently we can upgrade them to stop solid objects as well.

Besides, if they tried to make shields visible in the OT, it'd probably look as bad as David Lynch's Dune movie. It nearly killed me to watch Picard and Muad'Dib fight with those horrible shield thingies.

uh this is confirmed by the Dev team chat today

-----------------------

Empire at War Dev Team

Total Posts: 43

"One of Ptro employees said something about upgrading shield generators to particle shields. What is the difference?"

The regular shield just stops energy weapons. The upgrade stops all other projectiles as well.

------------------------

so low tech shields are good but not so good and the upgraded shields is uber! I LOVE SHIELDS!

It does block artillery and bombers before the upgrade, that's why you can't target inside the shield until it's taken down.

The shutter shield is not the upgrade, it is a seperate shield to stop bombing runs and re-enforcements around the base.

we cant be shur of anything untill the game comes out

for example in the demo on tattonie the empiers sheild and power gen were inside the shield dome

in the full game this will be fixed and the power gen will be outside

the devs said them selves that the levels in the demo werent the real ones

Considering Darth Torpid and DANDANBinks (another designer) held off my imperial assault today in a multplayer game because of their shield gen, I would say they are very useful. =P

Just out of curiosity....

Was the generator inside the shieled and did they have the the big turret under shieled ?

If the awnser is yes then I understand why.

Since we are on the subject, if you lose a bomber group to aa fire, does that disable your bombing button?

This wouldn't make sense with 15 ISDs in orbit. (of course those 15 ISDs not being able to bombard the planet with Turbolasers doesn't make sense either)

The AI will go after your bomber Y-wings alot since they are the only real threat to a ISD. The Y-wings have missles only (for the most part -there are graphics where they shoot laser a little?) that can penetrate and take out the shield generators on the ISD.

I use squads of A-wings set to guard the Y-wings. And make sure the Imperial Patrol craft are not around, they will decimate all your rebel fighters very quick. Use your fast rebel corvettes special ability to fly up quick to the Imperial anti-fighter craft and take them out quickly.

After that, I can take out several Imperial cap ships very easy.

I think that it should be a little harder to take out the shield generators on capital ships. It's one thing to be able to destroy a turbolaser emplacement with a few missiles quickly, but once the shield generator is gone, the ship is in trouble fast.

I agree that ISD shield generators are destroyed way too fast. I think their HPs could be doubled at least. Or to provide a semblance of parity the Mon Cal Cruisers should have 2-3 shield generators (reflecting their focus on redundancy) that must all be destroyed before shields drop.

I'll be very interested to see how Petroglyph may have tweaked the ship stats following the demo. And if fans don't like the stats as is I imagine a fan mod will tweak them more to our liking.

:3pdance: What can there use be, they only stop lasers from entering around it, seenms abit pointless. If u can think of how they would be good or what they could be used for please post and tell ne.

Because then i can shoot them as they move in so they cant blast me. I find is usefull look a huge imperial armys coming at you shoot them as they come slowly in only the front lines can hit you so you can kill some before they get you. Also they cant bombared the areas you have troops in. You can disable Hovering tanks with the one shield.

Archived