Home

Shield Generators Pointless?

Dirk Pitt

I agree the ISD shields are way too easy to knock out. I think the twin shields would be cool (as they were in X-Wing and Tie Fighter). Practically speaking, just up the Health Points like I did for the single shield hard point may be what only can be done for a quick fix. You can play around with the Armor_Damage Type Matrix, if you seen it you know what it is, for a more elegant solution. It changes the ratio of damage for type of weapon-craft to other weapon-craft combos.

The Y-wings AI is suicidal. I try to keep them from going after the Imp Patrol Craft on their own! They are set for instant S&D and get themselves mauled by them. I want them to stay put out of the way! Until I eliminate threats to them.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Group your Y-wings with a number and keep them away from the Patrol Cruisers by giving them a whole target (Target a ship's hull instead of a hardpoint) they'll be there a while.

Anyway, about the shields on land. When upgraded, the shields stop all kinds of fire not just lasers. The upgrade is available from the shield gen itself. Just keep units barely within the shield and the enemy won't get a look in. However, a shutter shield is probably more powerful as it stops reinforcements and also deactivates the bombing run ability until it's destroyed so it's just a simple search and destroy for the enemy's starting forces.

if i remember correctly, they had to use torpedos on the DSI to achieve enough damage or "place" the damage deep enough

and i think the magnetic field shouldn't be described as a "classical" shield

and imo, the "theatrical" (visible) shields could be explained by some reasons

1) the shields used in E1 were not really "high tech", they evolved later and you couldn't see them anymore

2) atmosphere. maybe the atmosphere of naboo had different elements than hoths (or also than other planets)

or maybe they based upon a completely different technique (like the gungan cities, i think there were energy shields to keep the water out if i remember correctly)

could also be the distance, that the shield gen on hoth was way bigger (the gungan shields were mobile ones with small gens and the horizon of hoth is... well, white and foggy)

3) gameplay, to make the player able to say "aha, there is a shield, this or that color -> these abilities, there has to be the gen" (if the gen always builds the center of a circle)

i mean, in the movies, the shields in space combats have also never been visible (that's just another reason why i prefer star wars before star trek because i didn't really like this shield effect) and neither were they visible in games like XWA

as mentioned before, there also those shield effects in space combats and the red glowing etc

"They resemble the Gungan theater shields in Episode I. That's the one and only time we've ever seen such shields used in Star Wars that I know of."

Well in ESB the Rebels get a shield generator up before the Imperials arrive and vader is annoyed because he can't simply bomb/bombard the base, and is forced to order a ground assault, so we can assume this shield generator works in the same way, though much larger and more powerful..

I think I posted about this yonks ago.. I'm really glad they decided to do it this way as it's far superior to the old "give shields to all units within the radius"

I wonder if the Gungan natives will have fambaa shield generators.. they could be put to really good use in this game..

The shield around the rebel base was a PLANETARY shield. I don't know if you guys ever played Rebellion or "supremacy" but you could build planetary shields that prevented the fleets in orbit to just simply bombard it into oblivion.

The shields in this game are more like the gungan shields from Ep. 1. It's not a planetary shield, just a proximity shield. It is done this way simply b/c it's a balancing feature.

Actually, I think its a Shutter Shield that was used on Hoth. It prevents reinforcements from landing anywhere close to your base and no air attacks can get through(ie no bombing runs or orbital bombardment) This type of shield has no effects on ground forces already on the planet. its more like a big umbrella. But the normal shield generator is like the one the gungans used in Episode 1; stops lasers but solid objects can push through it. The shield generator can be upgraded during land tactical battles to a particle shield which means it stops all weapons fire, solid or not. Land units can still push through it.

As for the shields gens on Cap ships... I think some tweaking needs to be done here. First off, ISD's, VSD's and SSD's all have 2 generators located right ontop of the ships superstructure or Bridge. So, adding another shield hardpoint on the star destroyers would be great.

Second, and this applies to all capital ships, when shields gens are destroyed it should not drop the shields on the ship. Instead it should stop any and all shield regeneration. With the star destroyers, you blow one shield gen hard point, and its regen is halfed to 50% of normal, you blow both and all regeneration is stopped.

Other hard points need to be a bit tougher than they currently are. 1 1/2 bombing runs with a single squad of fighters to take out a hard point is just overpowered. You need to make it where 3-4 single passes are needed to take down a hard point.

Capital ships need countermeasures vs torpedos anyway. In all the SW flight sims, the ships had cuncussion missile launchers. These cuncussion missile launchers were able to take out some of the incoming torpedos, and sometimes the turbolaser batteries were able to take down the incoming torpedos as well.

For me there's nothing more fun than capital ship vs capital ship fights. As it is now a Mon-Cal cruiser (with equal fighter support) will ALWAYS beat an ISD due to it's invulnerable shield gen. Not only is the Mon-Cal cruiser a more effective ship, but it costs a hell of alot less than an ISD does. Granted the ISD has it's own fighter compliment, but it will still lose against a Mon-Cal cruiser even with the fighter compliment. It will cost the player the same amount to build a Mon-Cal cruiser and 3 bomber squadrons and 3-4 fighter squadrons as it will to build 1 ISD. Just isn't balanced.

The ISD's were reknown throughout the SW galaxy as one of the most battle hardy and efficient war machines in the galaxy. Im not asking for them to become these unstoppable juggernauts, just make it where they are balanced with the Rebel counterpart.

Ok here is a tip for ya all.

ISD is the main ship in the Empire however it needs support ships. For each ISD you should have at least the one inderdictor and one patrol ships or corvette specilized in anti-fighter task.

I tryed this in demo mod and it worked flawlessly.

1 ISD with 1 Indterdictor and 1 patrol ship. Suport ships were set to defend the ISD.

The interdictor is not only preventing the ennemy fleet from fleeing but it also prevents torpedos and missiles from hiting their targets by jamming them.

Basicly use your ISD just as the workhorse for attacking any large ship while is being supported by your smallest ships. And for this I have to say thx petro because this is the first strategy game where only a balanced fleet can win.

Not even the HW achieved this nor Imperium Galactica.

P.S.

Patrol ship never goes on his own to purchase bombers. It sticks with ISD and engage bombers at long range.

What the hell's this theater shield?!? :D

A theatre shield is a shield that encompasses a battlefield.

Theatre, if I understand correctly, is the specific area where a battle takes place. I.E. Cuban Missile Crisis would be the Cuban Theatre, and so on.

Lol. Although, I wouldn't exactly call the Gungan shield a 'Theatre' shield, since usually Theatres are entire countries, regions, or even continents, where the fighting is taking place.

For example, a war on the Pacific would be called 'The Pacific Theatre,' or the 'North Pacific Theatre,' and so on.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Thanks for your 'valued' input cheese. Two accounts is an offence on these forums as per the terms and conditions you signed up to.

DMUK

Thanks for your 'valued' input cheese. Two accounts is an offence on these forums as per the terms and conditions you signed up to.

DMUK

Lets stay on topic. JK, i accidently hit the wrong reply button. ;), um no one has told me a good use for a non particle shield generator. Why shouldnt i build that extra turbolaser, or hypervelocity gun, or something of that nature.

*On an unrelated note*

Also i know it is an offence to have two usernames, but if you dont mind me asking why?

*On an unrelated note*

Also i know it is an offence to have two usernames, but if you dont mind me asking why?

Don't forget that to ask these questions you can private message a mod/admin. Just keep that in mind for the future :D

But the reason is, at least my interpretation, is so we don't have a user who posts constant spam and has two split personalities. It sounds stupid, but trust me, I've seen it before. ;)

to clear things out:

to the guy who said the shield gen was outside the base in a movie that wasent the shield gen but the POWER gen and the shield gen uses power. Also if u look in ep 5 u can c the power gen is also OUTSIDE the shield

Also you can UPGRADE your shield gens in a land battle to amke them block projectiles which makes the color of the shield cyan troops can still pass through it though :p

thats all i wanted to say :p XD

Archived