Home

A-Wings

RC2080

Well in other games, such as the flight sims, the A-wing and x-wing are very different units.

The A-Wing was designed to be fast and manuverable. It sacrifices fire power, shields, and hull strength to achieve this goal.

The X-Wing was made as an all purpose fighter. It wasnt near as fast as the A-Wing even with S-Foils closed, though its shields and hull strength were better. The X-Wing also included torpedoes instead of concussion missles, which the A-Wing had.

That is the SW lore, but if you look at the XML specs and in game, the A-Wing is better than the X-wing in just about all respects...except for their special abilities.

I was going to post some numbers to show you how they stack up. I was interested in game balance for now instead of the demo modding, in that shields are way too easy to knock off capital ships and such.

I want all ships and stuff to last longer, I want a long drawn out slug fight. I think the fights are way too quick and arcadish to allow for much tactics. Thankfully, the game is mod friendly.

-------------------------------------------------------EDIT

A-Wing owns the X-Wing pretty much???

Speed: 4.5, 4.0

ROT: 4.0, 3.0

bank: 50, 40

Shield points: 30, 20

Health points: 50, 60

Shield Refresh: 3, 3

Energy Capacity: 600, 500

Energy Refresh: 300, 300

The X-wing is good against TIE, Vader proto, bomber

The A-Wing is good against TIE, TIE Scout, bomber

X-wing special ability is 'S-Foil' to move faster, but slower fire rate.

A-wing special ability is 'Taunt Enemy' to lure enemy with no penalty.

The TIE Scout has shields, and how often is Vader proto will be in the game? Maybe that is the TIE Advanced - then it would be a nice counter.

Overall though, the A-Wing is more maneuverable, 15% faster than X-wing.

The A-wing Shield is 50% stronger at the expense of the Hull 20% less than X-wing. Plus it has 16% more energy capacity to draw from.

I do not see that the X-wing was given any missles to succeed over the A-wing. The X-wing should have some missles (protons or concussion) to make worth more over the A-wing as a 'all purpose' fighter.

I should add the X-wing may have "stronger laser hits" over the A-wing, I need to check that too.

Every star wars vehicle has disadvantages and advantages. :)

Yeah, are you going to add to that or leave it as a blanket statement with little relevance? ...

That is the SW lore, but if you look at the XML specs and in game, the A-Wing is better than the X-wing in just about all respects...except for their special abilities.

I was going to post some numbers to show you how they stack up. I was interested in game balance for now instead of the demo modding, in that shields are way too easy to knock off capital ships and such.

I want all ships and stuff to last longer, I want a long drawn out slug fight. I think the fights are way too quick and arcadish to allow for much tactics. Thankfully, the game is mod friendly.

Well, could you post those numbers?

Another check. X-wing has no missles at all. Plus the recharge rate is 1.5 seconds, the A-Wing is only 1 second!

This would mean the fire rate is lower too for the X-wing. I am going to look at the armor to armor damage table and see if it is made up there.

Both craft shoot four shots at 0.1 second in quick succession.

The AI considers the "Combat_Power" the threat level for the A-wing at 80, but only 60 for the X-wing.

It would seem the X-wing is not what we think it is from SW lore and Lucas Arts great sim games - X-wing and Tie Fighter.

X-wing really should have got a "Special Ability" instead of S-Foil, an ability "Torpedo". So it could fire missles, but not many, having to wait in between to get damage pass shields.

Maybe the logic can be added once the full game is out. I am playing around with adding some missile capability to the X-wing (or any thing that will pass damge through the shields) to mimmick its true role as a all purpose fighter/bomber combo.

X-wing should have proton torps on it so it can attack hard points on capital ships (with less firepower) so that way its actually an all purpose fighter that is slightly worse than an A-wing at dogfighting and slightly worse than a Y-wing at bombing. Oh and maybe the closed S-foils should make it faster than an A-wing (I'm not sure about that one though).

The A-wing is a speedy interceptor, basically a "pair of Novaldex engines with a pilot and weapons strapped on."

Which means that if an A-wing dogfights, it's dead.

The X-wing in the demo is the fastest ship in the game with S-foiled in cruise mode, which is counter-lore as well...

The A-wing was designed as the light armed scout not as the superiorety fighter. For that purpose you have the X-wing.

But let's see what is in the final release because as they stated this build was made in early december and since then they are doing tweakings and balancings.

Well in the sims the a-wing was a great dogfighter, just a bit more fragile than an x-wing. Taking on shielded ties should be it's weakness since it has 2 guns instead of 4, and t/a's have light but quick to recharge shields.

Only in the previous LA simulations X-Wing and Tie Fighter.

In this game EAW the A-Wing kicks the X-Wing's ass. A-wings are really good at taking out Imperial Tie Fighters.

The A-wing shoots out four bolts just like the X-wing (in the EAW game!) does the same damage, but refires it laser charge in 1 second compared to the X-wing 1.5 second according to the XML data.

The X-wing should have got some missile abilities along with its regular laser to make it a all purpose fighter/bomber. Or if not possible, increase its fire rate.

Archived