Home

You've played the demo. Will you buy the game?

Guest DarthMaulUK

Will you buy the full game after playing the demo?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy the full game after playing the demo?

• Oh man yes!
    • Yes - but only thanks to the Mods
    • No, i wont be buying it

Guest DarthMaulUK

Personally, having played the demo, I was left stunned by what I had seen in what was, for me, and extremely short demo. Having told Lucasarts my thoughts on Friday and chatting to them about the Mods already, (which shocked them that Mods were out so quickly) did leave me a little disappointed because the demo was just too short.

Theres been alot of debate about Mods/Hacks (call it what you will) but for me, this has delivered the kind of experience we should have got in the demo itself.

Watching the large capitol ships in action, learning how the galactic map works has put this game at the top of my list and ive actually REMOVED Rebellion/Supremacy from my 2nd CD drive for the first time in over a year.

What have your overall thoughts been about the demo? Was the demo enough for you to decide, or did the Mods make your decision?

DMUK

I will definitely buy it. I think I would probably buy it without the mods out so far anyway, but seeing the mods already released shows how eager the modding community is and looks promising for the replayability of this game. I'm still playing Operation Flashpoint and bought the expansion pack thanks to that game's modability, I hope I can look forward to the same long term experience with this game.

I accidentally checked 'with mods', even though I never even used a mod for the demo. Sorry about that.

Anyway, after playing the space level I'm definately going to get this game. It feels just like the movies, all of the ships swarming everywhere while the capitol ships exchange fire. Just a great game.

Sure the demo doesn't show us everything--it's not supposed to. It's at least given me enough of a taste of the game to confirm that I'll really enjoy doing grand strategy and small-scale tactics in this game. It's like Force Commander plus Rebellion, only done by guys who really know how to do RTS!

Prolly buy it, although I prefer RPGs at the min to RTSs and FPSs, since I quickly get tired of both the last two - and since Oblivion is hopefully comming out in March, I may hang back, but we'll see. However, I will differnately be modding EAW, so I am pleased at what I have seen so far.

I ll definitly buy it I was waiting since July 2005 and there not turning back

the demo was great the game will be even better

I m a big fan of Star Wars and RTS so the only way it could be ruined:

Star Wars Empire at War: Out of Stock NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

lolz... I'll probably buy it but alot of that has to do with the fact that there isnt anything else new in sw gaming(aprt from BFII). If KOTOR3 was announced, Id probably give EAW a miss and wait till it hits the bargain bin.

yeah, ive played the demo. Look pretty, but not being a huge RTS fan it just felt like I was playing SWGB+Force Commander+Rebellion souped up for 2006.

we'll just have to wait n see :) Im sure some great mods will make it more appealing

mtfbwya

I think I expected more from the demo and from the game....the mods made me realize the demo doesnt do the retail justice. Im a big rts gamer and after loving games like warhammer 40000, ground control 2 , SC:Bw....I kinda expected larger maps, more strategies....the demo made me feel like the person with the most units will win rather than the better tactics. Im on the fence with this one. If I do buy the game it will be do to what the modders showed me whats possible with this game and not the demo( which I played 7 times without the mods haha) KOTOR3?!?!?!?! : )

I think the demo really didn't tell me much about the game... without the mods. The mods have helped me see a lot more about the game and helped me towards making a decision. There are a few bugs that are very annoying that I hope they fix. If they give this game the kind of support that I'm thinking they will from the vibe I've gotten from the Petroglyph guys and their team thus far, I think that stuff will be fixed, if it hasn't already been (since the demo is supposedly an older build).

With that in mind, I think I would probably get the full game. It reminds me a lot of Emperor: Battle for Dune, which was a great game that I also purchased back in the day. It may be worth it. I may need to buy some more RAM to get the most out of the game though... and I'm a little strapped for cash right now with having to pay for books and school supplies and such.

The big draws for me will be modability and multiplayer. Modability seems to be a given, and multiplayer we have no idea about. If it's big enough and supported enough, it could really end up being a great part of the game. If it's small and unsupported (like say, Republic Commando) then it could be one of those games that doesn't have long term appeal for me. The RAM to reduce long load times would basically be required for multiplayer, especially if you can join a game in progress...

Yes, yes and yes. I will most definitely buy the game. Without our support the developer will not make anymore expansions or other new games. I can't wait for the full retail version to come out. I'm going crazy just playing the demo and the version with the mod.

As far as I'm concerned they can say thx to moders out there for not making me cancel my order for this game. The original mod was should I say empty. Yes we had tutorials and some other things but the main thing wasn't there. For about a year they are bombarding us with screenshots where you can see large battles in sapce and on the ground. And do we get in the demo ? 720 MB file with only one little space battle and something which we should call the ground battle and the worst thing is that the battle is on the desert planet while ther is much better maps in the game.

There is no ISD nor Mon Calamari cruiser to command. AT-AT was there but we had only one. They let us play only as the rebelion and the galactic AI was turned off.

What's the point of all that ? The marketing guy who made this decision has made a poor marketing decision. The demo in such state was worse than no demo at all.

The demo is meant to give you the taste of the game to try it to see if is your style of game and not to tell you " well you know that is in the final version" or "we turned it off on purpose".

Honnestly when I finished the official demo I was like "what the hell is that all, is that what I've been waiting for since they announced it the very first time ?"

Then with mods released I decided to give it another try and boy I was happy when I was able to control the ISDs and to actually have an ennemy who will attack my planets.

Petro guys you should be gratefull to moders because I'm sure that I'm not the only one who seriously considered canceling his order for this game after the official demo.

Archived