Home

Death Star Dilema

popcorn2008

From the latest Question and Answer over at EaW.com the developers have revealed that if you play as the empire and decide to construct the awe inspiring Death Star that if you fail to protect it from Red Squadron and they destroy it, that you lose automatically. To add to the matter, you also have to constantly research to achieve the ability to construct this technological terror :). All of this, just for the ability to destroy planets, which will reduce a planets possible income. The question I pose, is it worth it in the long run? Also you must control two planets to build the Death Star, Geonosis and Kashyyyk (thanks moeller). So with that, do you think that building this sphere of doom is still worth it?

What would you do? (Yes I couldnt resist :D)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd build it. I'd just call it in after I'd taken out the enemy fleets to blow the planet up.

Also, don't forget. The Death Star comes with a massive amount of garrisoned units which would help an attacking force a whole heck of a lot. (since an ISD or two wouldn't count against reinforcements)

From the latest Question and Answer over at EaW.com the developers have revealed that if you play as the empire and decide to construct the awe inspiring Death Star that if you fail to protect it from Red Squadron and they destroy it, that you lose automatically.
:drop2:

Come on. It took two Death Stars to substantially weaken the Empire, and even there it took years to be defeated. I'd have to disagree with Petro on this.

I think this is an interesting way to keep the death star in check. We won't be able to tell how much of a factor this is until we see both the power of the Death Star and how hard it will be to destroy it. Any time the Death Star is in a game, it is hard to make it balanced. It can't be too powerful but you also don't want the rebels to be able to easily destroy it (since the game would end). We'll see. I have a feeling the Death Star will be a topic of debate for a long time after the game is released as people discover the best ways to use it or destroy it.

Actually, I too used to think that just because you lose the Death Star, the Empire isn't defeated because of that. But I've been pondering on it abit lately, and I've come to the conclussion that to lose if you lose the Death Star makes absolutely sense.

And here's why: If you were entrusted to be the Supreme Commander of all of the Empire, given all these wonderfull toys at your disposal, and then you go and lose the Death Star, the ultimate power in the universe ..... wouldn't you expect to personally feel the wrath of the Emperor after such a blunder? ;)

The rebels will have to launch an extremely huge fleet to take on the death star. Think of dozens of corvettes and frigates and mon calamari cruisers and tons of Xwings and Y wings And of course, you need Red Squadron.

All you have to do is destroy the imperial space fleet and red squadron must be alive at the end of that battle. If you are rebels it means hiding red quadron in the corner of the map guarded by some friendly ships.

If you are imperial, it means finding red squadron at all costs and kill it before you lose the battle. That way even if the imperials lose the battle, they won't lose the deathstar. If I was the imperials, I would have a ton of those tartan corvettes ships which slaughter fighters and have them brute force their way through the rebel fleet and take out red squadron at all costs. It would be important to have plenty of reinforcements available.

These devs know what they are doing. This decisions is sure to make deathstar battles by far the most exciting and biggest events in the game.

I'd have to see it in play to make an informed decision, but here are my thoughts...

If the imperials have an instant kill switch, then the rebels are probably going to have one as well...don't get me wrong, I'm a rebel all the way and I don't mind having ONE advantage besides being sneaky. :)

It's also true that you don't have to build the thing in the first place. If anything, someone can just mod that feature out if it doesn't fly. ;)

Do we really know that you lose if the Death Star is destroyed?

"Can you create multiple death stars at once, or recreate death stars after one has been destroyed?

If the starbase building a Death Star is destroyed, then it's gone and you can start building again.

Once it's built and Luke and the pesky red squadron destroys it... then it's game over! Win or lose."

The way it sounds to me, if the Death Star is destroyed once it is built, you can't build another one; however, the game is not necessarily over, but the Death Star will not be making a reappearance.

Well, losing due to the loss of the Death Star would reflect the Pre-Battle-Of-Yavin timeline of the game..

And Red Squadron is on the same tech level as the Death Star, I think.. and since the Rebels are always lagging behind in tech (because they have to steal their's), then you'd have free reign with your sphere of doom for a while..

And don't worry too much, guys. If need be you can edit out the victory by deathstar line in the campaigns file :D

Of course that would be cheating and takes the whole point of balance out of the game :). It's a good way to keep the death star in check, though I hope when I play as the rebels it isnt too easy to win by just taking out the Death Star. I guess we will see.

Archived