Home

Kotor Tool feature requests

Fred Tetra

Here's the place to request features you'd like to see added or changed in Kotor Tool.

Don't bother requesting that the Dialog Editor be made to work with KotOR II. :) It isn't something I have the patience for these days.

Please keep in mind that this thread will be pruned from time to time, removing non-request postings (once I think they've been seen) to keep it on-topic and easy to read. Don't be offended if you have your response to someone else's request eventually deleted; it's nothing personal.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't bother requesting that the Dialog Editor be made to work with KotOR II. :) It isn't something I have the patience for these days.

Perhaps it should display a warning when opening a KotOR2 Dialog file, or disable the save function when one is opened? It would help people from having to find out the hard way that the dialog editor is KotOR1-only and TSL DLG files become messed up if they save them with it. :)Added in v2.x (upcoming)

Notes by FT

Random quotes from Russian literature of your choice at the start.

:xp:

Umm...an easier way of sticking rooms together than fiddling constantly with .lyt's?

It's probably not possibly, but I thought it was worth asking.

Erh...An easier way to add columns to .2da's (I still haven't figured this one out...)

It does place things at zero by default, and there isn't any way for it to "know" what the correct Z values are for items since it doesn't know where the floor is. For flat levels, like 204tel, once you know the floor's Z, you're OK. On the other hand, places with ramps, like the Peragus asteroid exterior, are a lot more work. I have been thinking of putting either a set of text call outs on the maps for various areas, and encoding the most common Z value within the MapInfo.bfd.

(quote taken from the general KT thread)

This would be really useful as lots of Kotor 2 areas have different z coordinates (262TEL and 402DXN per example). Having an approximate idea of what the z value should be would definitely help a lot. Added in v2.x (upcoming)

Notes by FT

There's little point in adding columns to a 2DA file; the game engine is only designed to handle the ones already there.

While this is true in most cases, there are exceptions. If you add a new class to classes.2da for example, you can add new columns for your class in some of the support 2da's used by it (e.g. acbonus.2da, feat.2da, featgain.2da) which will be used by the game (since you set their column name in classes.2da for your new class), giving your class unique progressions.

You, and we know that KT is tha tool for KotOR modding.

But some (IMO) features could be added that could make it even more (IMO) usefull:

• an adress bar in ERF/MOD builder under "Add dir" options would be very handy. Added in v2.x (upcoming)
  • preview of items in character inventory editor would be helpfull too. In progress - more in v2.x (upcoming)
    Edited
  • tooltip, help under RMB for things (radio buttons, combo\check boxes, text fields, etc.) on KT forms. In progress - more in v2.x (upcoming)

Notes by FT

How about turning decompiled .pcode to .nss :D

If this is worse than K2 dialogs I'll understand if you say no.

It never hurts to ask. :)

FT: Since JdNoa created the fine DeNCS tool, I ceased putting much effort into duplicating it, especially since she made (almost?) all of the decompiled game scripts available.

It also does not support K1.
It wasn't intended to support K1, but I've used it on K1 scripts fairly often. I just swap in the nwscript.nss from whichever game I'm working on at the moment. Maybe it warns about the recompiled version not matching the original a little more often since it's hardcoded to use the K2 switch when it compiles, but I've never had any problems with the .nss code it generates.

Back to KT feature requests... it would be nice if the search results gave some indication of where the file was found. For example, when I was looking for all of Carth's appearances in K2, having a list of his .utcs was handy, but I still had to dig through all of the modules to figure out which .utc was used by which scene.

Added for v2.x release - see here:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2029172&postcount=1559

Notes by FT

Back to KT feature requests... it would be nice if the search results gave some indication of where the file was found. For example, when I was looking for all of Carth's appearances in K2, having a list of his .utcs was handy, but I still had to dig through all of the modules to figure out which .utc was used by which scene.

We already have a tool that does that: Findrefs. You can dowload it from the SWK website.

1. Please add "Dialog" and "Items" to Resource Type Selector under Extract for Module Editing option. It will probably help other not so smart people like me.

Items extraction support has already been added, but Dialogs can be done as well.

See here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2002389&postcount=1533

Notes by FT

Added\Edited

Hmm, It seems that I got "special" version of KT:

- v1.0.2131.27110 (not in changes\history in readme)

- when I use "Check for program updates" options, it displays info that there are no updates (it isn`t blocked by Firewall)

So probably I`ll wait for v2.0, and sugested (by me) changes :D .

I have 2 things that i think would make a few people's lives easier.

1. Show lines for the angles of cameras. Odviously not for the 3D angles but just for the one similar to bearings on creatures (I think it's pitch)

2. In the Camera Editor a thing similar to the window that shows bearing for creatures but for all axises

3. Possibly team up with Tk102 and use his K2 dialog editor and integrate it into kotortool (with his permission of course)

• 2 weeks later...

Under Tools: Options: Project Manager Tab it would be nice to designate a path to a GFF editor. :)

Edit: Scratch that. Actually what would be very nice is to expand the Other Paths in Path Manager (File: Manage Path) to include:

- External Dialog Editor

- External GFF Editor

- External NSS/NCS Editor

with the caption including something like "(use Ctrl+Right Click)".

Under Tools: Options: Project Manager Tab it would be nice to designate a path to a GFF editor. :)

Edit: Scratch that. Actually what would be very nice is to expand the Other Paths in Path Manager (File: Manage Path) to include:

- External Dialog Editor

- External GFF Editor

- External NSS/NCS Editor

with the caption including something like "(use Ctrl+Right Click)".

I would like to 2nd this or in the least keeping with Tk's original request for a "Project Manager Tab it would be nice to designate a path to a GFF editor."

I updated K-GFF to v1.1.6 that you can use to masquerade as GFFEditor if that was your intention DK. Sorry, didn't mean it as an advertisement. :o

I never used Bioware's gffeditor so I'm unsure of what it's layout used to be. I've almost always used NWNeditor for most of my Gff Editing. Mostly because NWNEditor Allows you to open an ERF and then open the gff files in a seperate tab edit them and then reinsert them. It's one big flaw though seems to be with reading default game rim files it only likes mod files that have been recompiled by a seperate tool. That's one of many reasons I previously have asked if you could do a combo editor for K-GFF.

However I've really derailed Fred's Tool feature thread so I'll stop and hide.

Ignore where of file says that needed files are and go just by where the tool has them pathed to. To edit a couple files I have had to make copies of stated files to the location....luckly the locations were not another drive letter (Though making a virtual drive might work in this case). But I see coping or moving source files just for the means of editing one or two files should not be needed.

Ignore where of file says that needed files are and go just by where the tool has them pathed to. To edit a couple files I have had to make copies of stated files to the location....luckly the locations were not another drive letter (Though making a virtual drive might work in this case). But I see coping or moving source files just for the means of editing one or two files should not be needed.

I must say I'm a little confused at this request. What is the actual feature your looking for?

When you go to edit files like .uti's. Those files keep track of where the source files were installed when they were created. So if you don't have the source files in the same location they become unable to be opened with say KT, with out coping source files to those locations.

When you go to edit files like .uti's. Those files keep track of where the source files were installed when they were created. So if you don't have the source files in the same location they become unable to be opened with say KT, with out coping source files to those locations.

Uh? No they don't... the only thing KotOR Tool does to a .uti file is add in some nodes telling the version of KT it was edited with.

Uti files are GFF files, they are not what you seem to think they are. They do not "keep track" of anything they merely hold item information for the game. There are no source files for uti's.

The only files that have "source files" are .nss scripts, you can edit the source script .nss then compile them to a .ncs script file the game uses, you cannot directly edit compiled .ncs script files.

Archived