Home

More Boot Camp?

Kurgan

Should I "finish" Republic Command "Boot Camp"?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should I "finish" Republic Command "Boot Camp"?

• YES!
    • No. (waste of time)
    • Don't care (even after reading it).

Okay, back before RC came out I had this grand plan to make a beginner's multiplayer strategy page done in the spirit of a patriotic and often grumpy Republic drill sargeant. After the sad excuse for a patch and general lack of support for the game from LucasArts I kind of got discouraged and moved on to other things. But lately I've felt a little bad, like I left it incomplete.

So I was wondering, for those of you who've seen it (and for those of you who haven't, visit RepublicCommando.net and click on the "boot camp" sidebar pages), do you want me to "finish up" the pages? Do you have any input for me? Obviously I'm not planning to change the layout, only add content if I have such content to add. I could use some articles to flesh things out (especially from any of the hardcore players who know me from the early days and/or continued to play in the months since I left the game), fill in details, fix typos. Basically I don't want to leave it looking "unfinished." It doesn't have to be the Encyclopedia of Everything, just not like it looks like it was abandoned.

So please leave your comments and send me anything you'd like posted on there that fits in the spirit and would be useful for players. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

well im hearing rumors aboud some lucas arts guy talking to a member of the clan aboud the bugs and evrything dunno mutch aboud it but it would be realy nice if thay should get the bugs out or at least some

and yes its to bad its not posible to take one weapon out of a server

• 1 month later...

Here's some stuff you can feel free to use, Kurgan (I haven't played the game in a while so I'm going off memory, forgive some error in details):

Weapons

DC-17M (Blaster Attachment)

Strategy for: Dodge continuously side to side, up and down, but make sure to keep firing and adjusting the aim for your evasions. If you are moving it will hurt your enemy aim more then yours. Reload at every convenience, you need to hit with as many shots as fast as possible with this weapon, so having a full clip ready versus a half clip can make the difference.

Strategy against: Again, evasion is important. You have to be able to deal damage faster then the other person, or attrition will wear you down.

DC-17M (Sniper Attachment)

Strategy for: I don’t have much to add here, I’m horrible with the sniper. The thing that best works for me is to find some high ground that is not easily noticed in a wide area, and try to pick off anyone who doesn’t notice me.

Strategy against: I’m pretty bad against the sniper too, but I guess the best defense is to avoid good sniper areas, and to make yourself as difficult a target as possible.

DC-17M (Anti-Armor Attachment)

Strategy for: This one’s pretty easy. Don’t waste ammo, and don’t stand too close when you use it.

Strategy against: Stand too close when they use it.

DC-15S

Strategy for: The key advantage to this weapon is the enhanced run speed. Especially in Assault and CTF I like to hang on to this in addition to the weapon I'm primarily using, so that I can have the extra speed when I need it. As for attack, find something better. If you really have no other option, I guess the best advice is go for the head.

Strategy against: Don’t let them sneak up on you, look around as you go. Shoot them first.

ACP Repeater Gun

Strategy for: See Blaster Attachment

Strategy against: See Blaster Attachment

ACP Array Gun

Strategy for: Sneak up on your enemies. Don’t take the first shot you get, wait until you are at point blank range and can get the one hit kill. Try not to let the other person notice you. Also useful for narrow areas where it can’t be avoided easily.

Strategy against: Keep the other guy as far away as possible. Be aware, don’t let anyone get the drop on you.

LJ-50 Concussion Rifle

Strategy for: Don’t underestimate its melee abilities. It is one of the best melees, especially due to the fairly low ammo count and explosive nature (if they are close the main attack will kill you too). Aim for the ground or walls near the person rather then the person itself. If you miss when aiming at the person you are unlikely to hit them, but if you miss your target near them, you are still likely to at least do good damage.

Strategy against: Pay attention to where the shots hit and move away. Try to keep close enough that they can’t shoot you without killing themselves, but watch out for the melee. Staying just out of melee range or to the sides/back of the person are safe places.

LS-150 Heavy Repeater

Strategy for: Keep it reloaded. Having to reload in the middle of a fight is likely get you killed (very long reload time). Keep an eye out for grenades. You have to move right away to get to safety from a well-placed grenade.

Strategy against: Use grenades to exploit the slow running speed. Use a weapon that can take the other person down in one or two shots, you wont be able to survive a long battle.

Wookiee Bowcaster

Strategy for: Practice a lot, this is a difficult weapon to master. Keep it on full charge, ready to go at all times. Aim carefully, you are likely to get only one or two good shots, make them count and it is a very good weapon.

Strategy against: Don’t make yourself a good target. Try to stay out of a range and area where a scoped shot is effective, but stay far enough that you are a more difficult target to hit unscoped.

Wookiee Rocket Launcher

Strategy for: Be patient, get a targeting lock. Stay out of “suicide range”. Watch out for grenades. Don’t get the full lock, firing all your rockets is 99.9% of the time (at least) a complete waste. If you have to fire without a lock, aim for the feet.

Strategy against: Get in close fast. Use obstacles to block homing rockets. Use grenades to exploit reduced speed.

Also, feel free to use anything I posted in any other thread here.

If anyone has any pictures of floorplans for some of the maps, I'd be happy to make some kind of guide with recommended routes and key points for defenders in Assault and CTF. I might even put in some key weapons locations.

Here is some more stuff that could be included in the boot camp, although my memory is a bit hazy on some of this stuff (and I'm out of touch on the modern strategies), so someone should probably look this stuff over and make sure it is valid.

Maps – (Team) Deathmatch

Arena A17

Key weapons: Blaster Attachment/ACP Repeater, Anti-Armor Attachment, Shotgun, Heavy Repeater

Basic strategy: This is a small map with lots of open room, expect a lot of killing. As a result, most of the killing will just be done with the regular blaster attachment, if you are good with it you can pick up a nice score here. There is a heavy repeater in the middle of the map which can help out, as well as an aa attachment and a shotgun on each side. There are corridors on the ends of the middle of the map that make grenades very useful.

Arena G9

Key weapons: Blaster Attachment/ACP Repeater, Concussion Rifle, Rocket Launcher

Basic strategy: This is a lot like Arena A17, with a few adjustments and different weapons placements. The key difference is an anti-grav area on each side of the map. This allows you to quickly move from one end of the map to the other, but leaves you somewhat vulnerable to attack. Another important thing about these areas is they give you access to two weapons that cannot be gotten on the ground, the Sniper Attachment and the Rocket Launcher. To reach these, you need to get a running start toward the anti-grav areas while looking towards the floor. Just before you enter the anti-grav area, jump and move your sight to looking up. This will launch you very high, and if you move out of them in the middle, you can land in an octagonal area that will have either a Sniper Attachment or Rocket Launcher (one on each side). This maneuver requires practice, it is recommended to create a solo game to perfect it. The Rocket Launcher is very good in this level, so it is worthwhile, but don’t let trying to get up there distract you, or you will not do well score-wise. This map also has a good number of grenades available, so expect to see them widely used.

Gunship

Key weapons: Shotgun, AA Attachment, Heavy Repeater, Rocket Launcher

Basic strategy: This is another small, open map. On one end there is an enclosed area, but it is very easy to be killed there. The relatively open nature of the map makes target locks with the Rocket Launcher very easy, so it is a good weapon to use. The small size of the map provides a fairly target rich environment, so the Heavy Repeater can rack up good kills (but beware the reload time, target rich means you are a target for many people, too). The easy access to these two weapons means that keeping a few grenades handy can be a valuable countermeasure. The small size also means its easy to reach close range, and the Shotgun can be used well here, too.

Depot

Key weapons: Shotgun, Bowcaster, Heavy Repeater

Basic strategy: This is the last of the small maps, but it is much less open. Consisting primarily of two small areas with a few paths connecting them, this map can be good for turning a corner and taking out an enemy with a reflex shot. As a result, weapons that are effective at close range and can take down an enemy in one shot (Bowcaster and Shotgun) can be very useful. Also due to the small areas, grenades are very effective (no where to run), especially when the Heavy Repeater is easily attainable.

Lockdown

Key weapons: Shotgun, Sniper Attachment, Concussion Rifle, Heavy Repeater

Basic strategy: This map has two levels, with two sides of the top area containing bases (relatively small areas) and two sides containing small areas with Sniper Attachments. In the middle is a wide-open area. The Shotgun is very effective in the “base” and “sniper” areas, as well as some tunnels connecting the base to the ground level. The Sniper Attachment is useful in targeting the middle area, especially since the “base” and “sniper” areas have blast shields, that can protect the sniper before he/she is ready to shoot (although the sniper is still susceptible to an attack from behind). The ground area also contains a Concussion Rifle and a Heavy Repeater, controlling these can turn the tide in your favor.

Kachirho

Key weapons: Shotgun, Bowcaster, Concussion Rifle, Rocket Launcher

Basic strategy: This map has small areas along the outsides, and a large long area in the middle. The small areas are, as always, good places to use the Shotgun and the Bowcaster. The Bowcaster can also be used well as a sniper rifle, to target the open middle area from the high, enclosed areas on the sides (among other locations). The Concussion Rifle is available on the ends of the map, and in good supply. The uneven nature of this map gives lots of good places to fire the Concussion Rifle, and make this one of the best maps to use it on. The Rocket Launcher can dominate the middle area. Combining the fact that getting a target lock is fairly easy with the fact that the uneven shape of the map gives good odds on a hit without a lock, the Rocket Launcher does pretty good here, as well.

Garrison

Key weapons: AA Attachment, Concussion Rifle, Heavy Repeater

Basic strategy: This map primarily has a lot of medium sized areas, with a few small areas mixed in. Getting to the Heavy Repeater first (it is right in the middle of the map) will automatically give you a nice edge, but the Concussion Rifle is more quickly available, and can pose a major threat to the slow moving Heavy Repeater. Grenades and the AA Attachment both tend to be pretty effective weapons here, as well.

Ghostship

Key weapons: Shotgun, AA Attachment, Heavy Repeater

Basic strategy: This is the map of the Shotgun. The Shotgun is the preferred weapon by most on this map. The ready supply, the twisting corridors, the narrow tunnels, and the areas with many obstacles makes this weapon extremely powerful here. There are also a few open areas where the AA Attachment is good, and it is useful even in the twisting corridors, so don’t count it out. The Heavy Repeater tends to be a small player on this map, but that is mostly due to its relatively unnoticed position. The fact that few really notice it makes it worthy of notice. It is in the middle room, on a hanging piece of catwalk, and as is true most of the time, it is a very good weapon to get.

Engine

Key weapons: AA Attachment, Concussion Rifle, Rocket Launcher

Basic strategy: This is the easiest map to get lost in. Learning to navigate it properly is one of the most important steps in this map. Once you know your way around, you can do pretty good with just about any weapon, but the AA Attachment, Concussion Rifle, and Rocket Launcher tend to be the ones I see used most effectively here.

Garden

Key weapons: Sniper Attachment, Heavy Repeater, Rocket Launcher

Basic strategy: This map has two large bases separated by a bridge, and an alternate path under the bridge. The Sniper Attachment and Rocket Launcher can turn the bridge into an absolute killing field, and the low road, while generally less traveled, can lead to competition for control of the Heavy Repeater. Getting any of these three weapons (if you are good at using them) will give you pretty good power. But with the need to stay in one spot and line up a shot with the sniper, and the slow movement of the Heavy Repeater and Rocket Launcher, a grenadier can get a lot of kills here sometimes.

Hangar

Key weapons: Sniper Attachment, AA Attachment, Concussion Rifle, Rocket Launcher

Basic Strategy: This map is two large open spaces, with about 4 routes between them. There is a small room/corridor connecting the two directly. There is a high route that is a good place to snipe from (or pick up an AA Attachment). There is an underground tunnel where you can pick up the Rocket Launcher. Lastly, there is a low gravity area outside you can use to jump from one base to the other. Due to large, wide-open nature of the map, sniping or launching rockets are very good methods of attack.

Archived