Home

Which is stronger Light side or Dark side or are they equal?

Aenon Jurtis

thats what i though i was just wondering because i just got into an argument with a friend who thought that the dark side was stronger because the sith wiped out almost all the jedi except those that hid. and i was arguing that, like what you said, that neither was because neither force managed to destroy one another throughout the history of the whole starwars history that we know

Lol and you can tell your friend that the only reason that the Jedi where wiped out was because of Anakin and Sidious. They where not normal force users and plus Anakin is belevied to be created by the Mediclorians themselfs so thats why.

"...to become the most powerful Jedi, and the only way you can really do that is to go to the Dark side because the Dark side is more powerful. If you want the ultimate power you really have to go to the stronger side, which is the Dark side..."

- George Lucas [AOTC commentary]

QED

According to Yoda (Empire Strikes Back), the Dark Side is not stronger (no "Light Side" is ever mentioned in the movies). According to George Lucas, the Dark Side is stronger (AOTC DVD commentary). According to video games like Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight II, and Jedi Academy, the two sides are basically equal, just different (game mechanics for balance sake). Now across Star Wars mythology, going with authorial intent, good triumphs over evil in the end (even if evil happens to be stronger) and the Dark Side IS evil, whereas the Force is a power for good. It's better to be good than it is to be bad, says Lucas. Life works better that way, he says.

In the early scripts of Star Wars, the Dark Side is the "para-force" a corruption of the Force, which is all over the place. So it's a cancer growing. Does that mean it would one day overcome the Force itself? Perhaps, but at least at the present time, it's less all encompassing as the Force itself, so it's not "more powerful" in that sense. But that idea isn't really touched on in the actual movies, at least not until AOTC and ROTS with the "shroud of the Dark Side" idea, but even then it's rather vaguely explained.

Now if you go with some silly New Jedi Order character, then the Dark and Light Sides are just mistaken philosophies and the Force is really completely differnet than everybody thought for millennia. But that doesn't really tell us which is "stronger."

Palpatine seems more powerful than any of the "Light Side" Jedi, but then he has weaknesses, like his overconfidence and his faith in the Dark Side of the Force and in his apprentice, Darth Vader.

yes but-

"is the dark side stronger?" - luke

"NO.....but easily more seductive" - yoda - The Empire Strikes Back

lolz...you obviously dont read the posts above yours ! :p

@Prime - c'mon, who do you believe, GL or YODA ! I cant believe he's contradicted himself so magnficiently !! Unless Yoda was lying of course, the sneaky little booger :p

mtfbwya

Is there an article on the internet that shows that George Lucas said that the Dark Side is stronger?

han sala ffs read the above posts in a thread before posting,

Prime posted: "...to become the most powerful Jedi, and the only way you can really do that is to go to the Dark side because the Dark side is more powerful. If you want the ultimate power you really have to go to the stronger side, which is the Dark side..."

- George Lucas [AOTC commentary]

@Prime - c'mon, who do you believe, GL or YODA ! I cant believe he's contradicted himself so magnficiently !! Unless Yoda was lying of course, the sneaky little booger
Lucas hasn't contradicted himself at all. Yoda is simply a character created by Lucas that is expressing what he views as the truth from his point of view. There are other characters created by Lucas that view things very differently, such as Vader and Palpatine. Because their views are different than Yoda's and Kenobi's does that mean Lucas is contradicting himself in that regard as well? Of course not.

Yoda knows (and Lucas states it as well) that the dark side will ultimately be the undoing for those who use it. So if using the dark side ultimately "destroys" you, then in that regard it is not stronger than the light side (for lack of a better term) because that does not destroy you. So Yoda very reasonably thinks that since the dark side leads to your undoing it isn't really a viable option, and so is not stronger in the long run. Which can be argued is correct.

The context in which Lucas states that the dark side is stronger is dealing with gaining access to powers that otherwise would not be available. We already knew this to be the case with things such as Sith lightning. This point disregards the downsides of doing such things. He is saying that technically the dark side is more powerful because it provides access to more abilities as well as being easier and quicker to use (another form of "powerful").

yes but-

"is the dark side stronger?" - luke

"NO.....but easily more seductive" - yoda - The Empire Strikes Back

That is what a character says, which may or may not be entirely accurate (for whatever reason) in regards to how the universe actually works. Also, the character may have views that take morals and experience into account. There are other characters also created by Lucas that have different views.

Ultimately, what Lucas says trumps everything else, but it needs to be viewed in context.

either can be stronger, from a certain point of view.
That still is probably the best way to discribe things in the end. It depends on the definition of "strong" and what the end goal is.

According to Yoda (Empire Strikes Back), the Dark Side is not stronger (no "Light Side" is ever mentioned in the movies). According to George Lucas, the Dark Side is stronger (AOTC DVD commentary). According to video games like Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight II, and Jedi Academy, the two sides are basically equal, just different (game mechanics for balance sake).
All these are accurate, depending on your point of view. :) And point taken on how implementations in games take into account gameplay. In the end I don't think any of the above are wrong, they just come from different contexts.

Now across Star Wars mythology, going with authorial intent, good triumphs over evil in the end (even if evil happens to be stronger) and the Dark Side IS evil, whereas the Force is a power for good. It's better to be good than it is to be bad, says Lucas. Life works better that way, he says.
And not destroying yourself is always a good thing. :)

Now if you go with some silly New Jedi Order character, then the Dark and Light Sides are just mistaken philosophies and the Force is really completely differnet than everybody thought for millennia. But that doesn't really tell us which is "stronger."
With the latest Dark Nest trilogy a lot of what was portrayed in the NJO as "fact" (again this what characters are stating) in regards to the Force is being "undone", in the sense that they are showing the mistakes and what the downfalls are from that philosphy and how they can lead to your undoing. They have been going out of their way to line up many NJO views with Anakin.

Ultimately, they are finding out for themselves what the OR Jedi found out millenia ago, and what Anakin learned first hand. :)

but in the end the message we get through all of sw is that the two will be at war for all eternity light and dark andnone will defeat the other so in fact they are equal - end of story
Incorrect. The whole point of the prophecy was that Anakin would destroy the Sith and the dark side and bring balance to the Force (i.e. no dark side). Ultimitely, that is what happened. In its natural state the Force exists with no dark side.

Incorrect. The whole point of the prophecy was that Anakin would destroy the Sith and the dark side and bring balance to the Force (i.e. no dark side). Ultimitely, that is what happened. In its natural state the Force exists with no dark side.

not inncorrect at all! the prophecy said was he would bring balance to the force i.e an equlibrium which if there was no dark to contrast the light would not be possible - (that is why i'm right and you are wrong................ha)

I just knew you were going to bring that "certain point of view" point up !
But every character in the story has their own point of view.

You are seeing what they say as absolutes, which we know is the way of the Sith! :)

not inncorrect at all! the prophecy said was he would bring balance to the force i.e an equlibrium which if there was no dark to contrast the light would not be possible - (that is why i'm right and you are wrong................ha)
But the prophecy isn't saying that, which is why what you are saying is incorrect. :)

There is no light side per se (the films never mention such a thing), only the Force in its natural state. In that state it is balanced, and there isn't really a light side that needs to be equalized by dark. The dark side is a corruption of the Force, and tips the Force out of its natural state. The presence of the Sith (and so the dark side) meant that the Force was out of balance, and the prophecy was to destroy the Sith, and thus bring the Force back into balance.

If what you were saying was true, then the Force would be out of balance because there were 10,000 light side Jedi to 2 dark side Sith. Thus bringing the Force back into balance would be killing all but, give or take, 2 Jedi (which ironically happened anyway), or eliminating both sides altogether.

What would the Jedi want to do in this situation? Of course they would do everything in their power to prevent the prophecy from coming true, since it would mean the Order's destruction. And yet we see the Jedi break several of their rules to train him because he is the Chosen One and to help the prophecy to come true. That would be the last thing they would do if what you are saying was correct.

And how could such a prophecy bring balance to the Force and destroy the Sith? If it was an issue of numbers, the Jedi are the ones that are tipping the balance, not the Sith. Destruction of the Sith would make the imbalance worse, not better, and so the prophecy would be conflicting itself.

Anakin fulfills the prophecy only at the end when he destroys the emperor and is redeemed, thus destroying the Sith once and for all. Again, if what you are saying was true, to fulfill the prophecy he would presumably have had to kill Luke (and Liea too I guess) as well before he died, leaving no light or dark side beings at all.

But the prophecy isn't saying that, which is why what you are saying is incorrect. :)

There is no light side per se (the films never mention such a thing), QUOTE]

no the films don't but this is an EU forum and the light side and dark side are explained in full detail in 'I , JEDI'..................... you said the dark side is a corruption of the force which is an opinion of the jedi the force itself never laid down guide lines on how it was to be used like i said before the jedi use the terms light and dark as a simple understanding when really there are no sides so i guess in the end this whole thread is a misconception in terms

I think it takes longer to master the light side, than the dark side. Since the dark side puts an emphasis on passion for their strength, they can achieve much more in a shorter period of time because basically, they have no restrictions.

Light side users have a certain moral code to adhere to. Possibly why Yoda was such a strong light side user is because his species is long lived, therefore he had alot of time to study up on the light side and become very powerful. Although, a light sider technically isn't after power - they are after after enlightenment.

To the casual observer the dark side does seem to be more powerful, in fact we are almost led to believe the dark side is more powerful. However I think it is much more interesting to see a light sider in control of his emotions, than having a dark sider running amok.

A light side master can counter dark side master, and vice versa. Then it is up to fate to decide the victor really, or who has the more experience, or who thinks more tactfully than the other. Yoda and Sidious were pretty much at a stalemate, if Yoda hadn't fallen I'm sure Sidious would've found a way to retreat - since neither were really going to win that battle. I think that was pretty obvious to both of them, if anything they may have destroyed each other in the process... I'm sure Yoda would've been fine with that, since the Emperor would've been destroyed, I don't think that would've been an acceptable outcome for the Emperor because he had way too much to lose at that point.

Archived