Home

Which is stronger Light side or Dark side or are they equal?

Aenon Jurtis

no the films don't but this is an EU forum
Touche. :)

But surely you will agree that the films and related comments by the creator are relevant even when discussing the EU?

you said the dark side is a corruption of the force which is an opinion of the jedi
It is not an "opinion" of the Jedi, they just recognize the fact that the dark side is a corruption of the force. For example the ROTJ novelization explains that Sith lightning is a dark side power and a corruption of the Force, as in not natural. Palpatine even aludes to the fact that the dark side is unnatural (i.e. a corruption) in ROTS.

the force itself never laid down guide lines on how it was to be used like i said
The Force itself hasn't, since it can't talk. :) But the creator has. Lucas has explained that Force lightning in fact requires the use of the dark side, and as of ROTJ lightning is completely the domain of the Sith (in fact, until Dooku used it on Anakin, the Jedi did not know of it [AOTC novelization]). We also know that use of the dark side requires emotions such as anger, hate, and aggression. We also know that use of these feelings go against the Jedi code. A Jedi who would continue to use such emotions and go against the Code would cease to be a Jedi. We also have been told that continued use of such emotions and the dark side will lead to that person's undoing, as we have seen time and again.

before the jedi use the terms light and dark as a simple understanding when really there are no sides
Not according to the creator of Star Wars. And I think he has the final say. :)

Besides, if there are no sides, how can it be out of balance?

so you agree, like i said before, the sides are equal and its down to experience and skill.
We've already shown that this is not the case. In terms of actual abilities to has been explicitly stated that the dark side is stronger. In other words, if two otherwise identical beings used opposite sides of the Force, the one using the dark side would be stronger.

Touche. :)

But surely you will agree that the films and related comments by the creator are relevant even when discussing the EU?

of course

Not according to the creator of Star Wars. And I think he has the final say. :)

yes touche :) but he says in the interview that the dark side is stronger however you can't destroy the dark side it isn't a mortal thing same with the light side so in the end even if the dark side is stronger there will always be two sides so if you really think about it stregnth doesn't really matter it does between jedi and sith but between the force itself theres no need they're both immortal .

Like mentioned earlier Lucas has said the dark side is more powerfull but it has its limits. Let me explain by an example. If you read Dark Rendez-vous Yoda challanges Dooku to turn him to the dark side. The following occurs:

Dooku: With the dark side you can have everything you want.

Yoda (holding out a rose): Good, I want this.

Dooku: No, you could have power...

Yoda: I don't want power I want this...

(note: these are not the exact lines, I quote from memory of a translated version)

So the dark side gives power which translates into worldly power, power to manipulate, dominate or destroy. The dark side does not create life, it manipulates it as seen in ancient Sith alchemy. Even in ROTS Palpatine's says that Darth Plagious manipulated the midichlorians to create life. This is a nice reference to the old Earth Alchemy of trying to change lead into gold.

George Lucas has stated on the RotS dvd in the "The Chosen One" featurette that Anakin indeed brings balance to the Force at the end of RotJ by killing Palpatine and destroying the Sith. (so it's not about numrical balance) Off course post RotJ material has Jedi falling to the dark side. Why? I think like in analogy with a cancer defeated, a small part remains but is contained but potentally dangerous. Or compair it to the Lord of the Rings, also a modern day myth, it has a similar ending; The Great Evil is destoyed, but all evil will never be destroyed...

Pfff this is getting very metaphysical for this time...

Like mentioned earlier Lucas has said the dark side is more powerfull but it has its limits. Let me explain by an example. If you read Dark Rendez-vous Yoda challanges Dooku to turn him to the dark side. The following occurs:

Dooku: With the dark side you can have everything you want.

Yoda (holding out a rose): Good, I want this.

Dooku: No, you could have power...

Yoda: I don't want power I want this...

(note: these are not the exact lines, I quote from memory of a translated version)

MAN! I have heard so much about that book... maybe I should read it. I find Count Dooku's fall just as tragic as Anakin's despite his advanced age.

On topic, I like the theory brought about in the New Jedi Order series of books and to a lesser extent by Palpatine (yes, DARTH SIDIOUS!). It dictates that the Force is neither good or evil, light or dark but merely determined by how it is used or is intended to be used. The Jedi Order of the prequels where stogy and too conservative to realise this and that is why they failed to defeat the Sith. Only through a rebirth of the Jedi was the Sith finally defeated (at least for the time being).

According to Yoda, the Dark Side is not stronger, only quicker, easier and more seductive.

According to Lucas, the Dark Side is stronger, because it lets Sideous overshadow the power of the Jedi to weaken them with the "shroud of the Dark Side" and be undetectable in the Jedi's midst for over a decade.

You could interpret Lucas's statements that the power of the Dark Side in relation to the non-DarkSide of the Force waxes and wanes over time. Perhaps at certain times in history it seems stronger, other times not. Or you could just take it at face value as an absolute statement and say that Yoda was simply wrong, or lying to Luke so as not to discourage him too much.

Another view is that the Force is so powerful and all encompassing that the entire Prophecy thing being fulfilled was to flush out the Dark Side in order to wipe it out. Sort of like giving the Devil the impression that he's winning in order to set a trap to defeat him for good in the end.

Or you could just take it at face value as an absolute statement and say that Yoda was simply wrong, or lying to Luke so as not to discourage him too much.
I think it is more the fact that Yoda knows the downside to using the dark side, and that offsets the powers it provides. So overall it isn't more powerful because it harms as well as "helps." But no doubt he is trying to limit Luke's curiosity.

Surely there is no victor, obviously this discredits what has been stated by Lucas, but I thought the force did not dictate strength, but the person did. Surely there disposition is the reason for their strength and will, not their accredited side.

Anyways, I suppose GL has shredded my hopes on that...again...

• 8 years later...

if you look at the movies the dark side takes the whole Jedi council with members, blinding the whole Jedi order in their conquest. also palpitine continues to live on multiple bodies after the movies turning Luke to the dark side briefly. although Luke does rebuild the Jedi order the dark side does seem stronger and definitely more bad ass.

The darkside is stronger because there is always the temptation of power & greed it runs in the blood of anyone who's ancestors once turned plus it also leads to their demise the lightside is a conflict of staying in a life of peace not engaging in any wars but it is also sad they need to not to bad things or have corrupt thoughts the lightside is a short time period is someone's life the rest is a test.

• 1 month later...

I typed up every Jedi name into a Notepad document (1 on each line), then I used a sorting program to sort them alphabetically. After that, I removed duplicates and counted the number of lines in the document, thus giving the number of Jedi. I did the same for the Sith. However, I made some typos when making the lists, and the above numbers are wrong. The actual numbers should be 877 and 386 (notice that the number of Jedi is prime). That's definitely a lot of Force-sensitives, 1,263 to be exact. That's about one Jedi/Sith born every 28 years, over the whole Legends timeline, spanning 36,591 years. No wonder it's hard to remember all those names. I wonder how many people, both Force-sensitive and Force-blind, were born (and died) during that period. I bet it was in the quintillions or even sextillions, given such a long timespan and the present galactic population of about 100 quadrillion (as of 0 ABY).

I typed up every Jedi name into a Notepad document (1 on each line), then I used a sorting program to sort them alphabetically. After that, I removed duplicates and counted the number of lines in the document, thus giving the number of Jedi. I did the same for the Sith. However, I made some typos when making the lists, and the above numbers are wrong. The actual numbers should be 877 and 386 (notice that the number of Jedi is prime). That's definitely a lot of Force-sensitives, 1,263 to be exact. That's about one Jedi/Sith born every 28 years, over the whole Legends timeline, spanning 36,591 years. No wonder it's hard to remember all those names. I wonder how many people, both Force-sensitive and Force-blind, were born (and died) during that period. I bet it was in the quintillions or even sextillions, given such a long timespan and the present galactic population of about 100 quadrillion (as of 0 ABY).
Well George Lucas was busy his brain must have been sore thinking all those names but it was worth effort I wonder how many new names will be added to that list when these next three movies come out.

Archived