Submit freezes my browser

mjpb3

I use IE, and am quite happy with it, thanks ;P

Anyway, sometimes, not always though, my browser freezes

when I click submit on posts and PMs. Especially PMs, I

have real trouble with those.

Also, if I click preview before posting messages, my

browser freezes.

So, is it the ads or some scripting on the site itself?

It is really annoying to write a whole message to someone,

or answer a post, to have my browser freeze when I try to

post/submit and have to go back later to send the message

when the site will actually 'let me' :/

It has gotten so bad that I have write an answer or post

in Notepad and save it on my computer to copy and paste

as an answer/post when the site let's me.

(If I don't and my browser freezes, I lose the whole

message and that's QUITE annoying :|)

So, is there something I need to do, or is this just

something I have to deal with?

When I try to submit a reply to a thread and PM, I also have this problem. I am using IE 6.0, and Netscape 7.0. Both browsers are affected by the 'Flash' or 'Director ads. I have been trying to reply to this thread, and it keeps freezing. Everytime I replay, the Football 'Flash' ad is present.

I hope the designers realize they are not compressing their ads right... Their coding is interfearing with the forums...

uggh...

yes what MacLeodCorp wrote

trying to reply to this my browser keeps freezing

and that football ad is there...

I am using IE 6 and I also use Mozilla 5

I am guessing it's the ads, because this isn't an

all-the-time thing, but it is happening enough to

annoy the heck out of me :/

uggh...

yes what MacLeodCorp wrote

trying to reply to this my browser keeps freezing

and that football ad is there...

I am using IE 6 and I also use Mozilla 5

I am guessing it's the ads, because this isn't an

all-the-time thing, but it is happening enough to

annoy the heck out of me :/

I wonder if there is more to this issue. Sometimes when I quote someone, I also get freezes..

Sometimes I can't edit my posts by adding 'Bold' Italics' or 'Underline'. I wonder if they are interrelated. Otherwords, the ads could be conflicting with the source code of the site....

Yes, all of that for me too...

and PMs...

I have a PM in my folder right now which I can't reply to

because my browser keeps freezing every-single-time I try...

and it has been since 6:00 this morning, so I am guessing

the ads...

I don't think there is anything you can do about this, other than using a different browser to read the forums.

Veritable Malware Ads made in flash/shockwave, causing the computer to slow to a crawl or even crash when they display, was one of the biggest reasons I felt compelled to switch to Firefox. The AdBlock extension is wonderful for dealing with this kind of thing, allowing you to get rid of disruptive ads with just a click.

(I don't think many TV viewers would put up with Ad spots disabling the remote control whenever they show, so I find it a bit amusing that these kinds of disruptive ads are concidered okay to put in the rotation on the Web. :) )

you know, this is a bit unusual to me. i'm using IE 6.0 on the computers up here at school, and i haven't had any issues with posting.

I am using Dial-Up, so that may be a problem. However, I never had this problem in the beginning, or in the last four months. This is pretty new.

Thanks for hearing us out..

I should see if there is an upgrade to the Flash and Shockwave plug-in. Maybe Macromedia did something, which fixes this issue.

^^^^

hehe, if there is one thing i like about these school computers is the bandwidth the network has. definately an improvement over dial-up.

anyways, i can say that i've experienced milder versions of this problem on my computer at home. since my home network uses a slow DSL connection, i'm guessing the issue could be a bandwidth related issue. but i doubt its the forums. d*** ads. :fist:

^^^^

hehe, if there is one thing i like about these school computers is the bandwidth the network has. definately an improvement over dial-up.

anyways, i can say that i've experienced milder versions of this problem on my computer at home. since my home network uses a slow DSL connection, i'm guessing the issue could be a bandwidth related issue. but i doubt its the forums. d*** ads. :fist:

I have NetZero Accelerated Dial-up... Every time I access a page, I start signing, "Hes going the distance, hes going for speed..."... Hehehe...

I just installed a new Shockwave version. I will see if that makes any difference.

If anyone is intrested in the latest Shockwave or Flash, here is a link:

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tag=srch&qt=Shockwave&tg=dl-2001

well, I have Bellsouth Fast Access DSL and I didn't have this

problem until about a month or so ago, then all of a sudden,

I couldn't answer PMs or make replies without freezing my

browser.

There seems to be some kind of system to it, because like I

already wrote, it doesn't happen all the time, so that is why

I assume it's the ads

I would use Firefox, or some other browser, but I just prefer IE

(old dogs, new tricks... and all that jazz ;P)

Its the IE Privacy settings getting in the way, Once I unchecked The pop-up block I no longer had the browser freezing problem.

IE->Tools-->options-->Privacy tab--> Uncheck block pop-ups

Edit:btw if you like IE then you might like Maxthon. http://www.maxthon.com/

Ever have one of those days where you feel like a complete

fracking fool? Well, welcome to my world ;P

T7, you rock. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner.

But, instead of turning off pop-up block, I just added LucusForums

to my exceptions list.

Menu > Tools > Internet Options > Privacy >Pop-Up Blocker >

Settings > Address of the Website to allow > Type in

http://www.lucasforums.com

Thanks!

Edit: Dang!!! I wrote too soon. I just had another freeze.

Argghh!

• 1 month later...

I've got the same problem too - I just tried the suggestions in this thread, but still, it locks up the window I just tried to post in.

I've even done small posts before and it's frozen, and yet I've also done relatively large posts also and (finally) gotten through, without changing A THING.

I've also had extended periods with no problems, and others with constant problems.

Seriously - I have NO problems such as this kind with ANY other forums what-so-ever and I've experienced this problem on two different computers, each with completely different internet service providers, connection-type and hardware and software installed.

I'm convinced it's something to do with this message board - maybe not directly, but at the very least then, to do with compatibility issues.

This has something to do with the ads. Somehow, the script halts until after the ads have loaded. However it happens only when you use Internet Explorer. With Firefox everything is fine.

Edit: Also, if you use the quick reply, it won't freeze, even if you use IE.

I don't think there should be a required browser for this forum. What I do think is that the problems needs to be taken care of. Someone has to find out why the bound submit box is having conflicts with the ads.

Yes, I agree. I did download firefox and that works fine with this place now, but it's just the principle of the matter that remains - why should we have to sort it out on our end, when it's clearly something that effects at least quite a few people? And to download such a program just for one message board? Luckily, I have a very high-speed internet connection, so downloading firefox was no real problem at all, but what about the people who are using dial-up connections? Or even those who are using a public computer (and thus do not have the authority to download new software)? That's not fair, IMO.

The forums have been optimized for viewing with firefox. Nevertheless, the staff has been looking at it a while ago and they found no way of fixing this IE issue without preventing the ads to load completely (and affecting the revenues thereof without which running these forums would be impossible).

The forums have been optimized for viewing with firefox. Nevertheless, the staff has been looking at it a while ago and they found no way of fixing this IE issue without preventing the ads to load completely (and affecting the revenues thereof without which running these forums would be impossible).

Well, at least they looked into it. Thanks for the information Darth333.

• 1 month later...

Hello all! :dmaul3:

Well, my browser is consistently freezing now! :firemad::firemad::firemad:

I have made lucasforums allowable in my browser options, so hopefully that fixes the problem. Although I must admit that I don't know why IE is causing this problem, as I have been using IE 6.0 as my browser since I joined this site. Only in the last week has this been happening to me, and my posting habits and frequency of posts has not changed:

- So, I am doing everything EXACTLY the same as I did 2 weeks ago - there were no problems then, so why now? Did the conversion to Firefox happen here this week? Because if not, then I don't see where the problem lies... it don't add up, and I don't like things that don't add up! :mauls:

Anyways, I have read the posts here, does anyone have more info?

- DM.005 :maul5:

Well, my browser is consistently freezing now!

I don't know why IE is causing this problem, as I have been using IE 6.0 as my browser since I joined this site. Only in the last week has this been happening to me, and my posting habits and frequency of posts has not changed:

- So, I am doing everything EXACTLY the same as I did 2 weeks ago - there were no problems then, so why now?

I would guess it's because the Ad banners have been changed recently by the advertising companies. Some of those banners are more like malware than commercials, interfering with the operation of the site with some browsers.

(In general terms such problems aren't just confined to IE, though it seems to be the case at this site. I remember a few other sites I've been visiting where the banner ads were getting Firefox on its knees, slowing down the whole computer to a crawl while they were displayed. After I AdBlocked those banners things returned to normal.)

Archived