Home

Redesigned DS: Confirmed for japan

BongoBob

Basically your information is out of date.

While it was announced in Japan, the DS Lite will be released globally, no release date has been specified for other regions but you don't have to get your lil panties in a twist, it'll be available to all of us.

What's different with this new model? It's smaller, lighter, has improved brighter screens and a 4 level brightness control. It retains all of the features found on the regular DS but at least this time you'll have less people complaining about how bulky the system looks. It also has the Micro/Revolution D-Pad, which is pretty sweet cause I've used that D-Pad and it feels like sex.

In this case the DS has still failed against the PSP, maybe if they'd released it a year earlier they would have made more money.

Uh... the DS has sold nearly triple the PSP.

I suggest you get your head out of the ground and take a gander at the real world.

Nintendo releases different models of handheld systems because one handheld is not for every type of person. It's called working the market.

@ Sithy: Damn straight.

@ MachineCult: At the moment the focus of Nintendo attention is on the handheld market, but that's probably because the DS has surpassed all expectations and is doing so well that's all anyone can focus on at the moment. But why not focus heavily on the handheld market? It's what's driving the industry forward at the moment and attracting new kinds of gamers. Plus it's highly profitable, at least for Nintendo.

But just wait, once E3 2006 comes around the thing people will be talking about the most will be the Revolution.

I have no idea where you based your opinion on about the whole PSP vs DS thing but it looks like, no offense, you have no idea what's actually going on do you... XD

It's also doing surprisingly well in Europe. The PSP and DS are going head to head in the US, and Australia... well no one ever bothers to figure out what goes on down here so I don't actually know for sure. I do know that nintendo is having a lot of success with the DS down here but I don't know how Sony is doing with the PSP.

All the people I know that bought a PSP got it for the movies, music, and pictures.

The system cost too much money, the media costs too much money, the battery life on the thing sucks, but I'll give it that it's one of the best looking systems ever made. The DS, on the other hand, is cheaper, has cheaper games (and plays GBA games), and as mentioned, is a serious contendor for Sony's handheld.

I'm pro-Nintendo after having bashed them all these years. I don't plan on getting a Revolution, or redesigned DS (which I think was a poor redesign but I know it'll appeal to some DSless people), but I have a lot of catching up to do on GBA games and I can't wait for a lot of the upcoming DS games for my big, fat, bulky one :D

Its about time. The DS has been kicking ass in terms of games, but the oldfashioned look and size was putting a few people off (me included). I'd finally decided that the games looked cool enough that i'd buy one anyway... and then they announce this... which is a heck of a lot sexier and more handy... plus i have a micro and the screen and pad are ace!

I think i'll preorder one from japan if i can get one at a reasonable price..

Not much reason to upgrade if you already have one, as its mainly a cosmetic upgrade... but for those of us who've been on the fence its great!

*thinks* its a shame it didn't look this nice when they brought it out initially... it'd have kicked the PSP's ass even more!

I'll be getting one, but only if it has backward compitbily. Othewrwise my standard Ds will be fine

its the same as the old DS in terms of functionality, just smaller, lighter, better screens and better looking. Bascially its how they should have done it from the start.

At least for once the timing has worked in my favour! ;)

One of the main reasons for these redesigns is because Nintendo has made a deal with another company to get better hardware for a cheaper price into their systems. They create redesigns for their handhelds because handhelds get worn out a lot faster than home consoles which usually just sit there next to your DVD player or sound system...

It's also a chance for Nintendo to fix a lot of design issues. And no matter how well you design something, don't think that it's going to be perfect first time around, or even second time around. The only way to know if your design works is if you release it to the public. So Nintendo listened to all of the comments that were made by us, the people and tried to redesign the DS to make it better for us to play.

- I like how the DS is smaller, and don't worry about those who don't like their handhelds to be too small. Hasn't anyone noticed how the D-Pad and A,B,X,Y buttons have been moved up to compensate? It's given your hand more surface area to grip :p

- I'm glad they're giving us the Micro/Revolution D-Pad and hopefully buttons. Those buttons feel like sex, they honestly do. I have to say that the new D-Pad is the best D-Pad I've ever played with.

- The mic has moved. Where? Into the connector, inbetween the top and bottom screen. This is one of my favourite parts about the new design, the fact that the mic has a centralised location.

- Brighter screens is a nice addition, especially after trying to play the DS in the car and not being able to see ANYTHING cause of the orb in the sky we call the sun... It's one hellova good screen, every thing is bright and crisp and far more superior than what the DS has now.

- Brightness control, cause we all need to conserve battery power :p And compensate for the dark and the sun.

- Power button and lights moved. I'm assuming the power button has been made a switch and is now located on the side of the DS just like on the SP. That's some good news since the power button, to me, didn't feel like it belonged up there above the D-Pad on the original DS. Also I like where the lights have been moved to. It's a lot easier to see them up there and you can also see them clearly while the DS lite is closed too.

There has been a lot of work put into the DS lite,,, and I think it's all worth it.

- The mic has moved. Where? Into the connector, inbetween the top and bottom screen. This is one of my favourite parts about the new design, the fact that the mic has a centralised location.

Thats the only bit i'm not sure about.. won't we end up fogging up our screens? ;)

I'd have tought putting it in the hinge at the opposite end to the lights would be the best place.

In Mario Kart you use the mic to inflate your balloons in battle mode... Blowing hot air and blowing cold air involves you to shape your mouth differently. Think about it, if there is a person stupid enough to blow hot air onto their screens then that same person wouldn't be able to figure out how to play the games in the first place ;)

Also talking in the area near your DS for games like Nintendogs won't fog up your screens. Neither will any other activities games want you to do... unless you blow hot air onto the screens on purpose.

XD @ Katarn: In the standard battle mode, you start off with one balloon and to inflate more you blow into the microphone. You can only inflate the other balloons when you're not pressing down on the accelerator.

It's pretty easy... I can't imagine anyone not being able to do it... unless you have jack all lung capacity.

Archived