Home

Redesigned DS: Confirmed for japan

BongoBob

8 year olds have reflexes that haven't been dulled by years or substance abuse.

(all this talk has made me nostalgic, i think this evening i might crank out the mariokart 64. Majora's mask has been disappointing sofar anyway, so i could do with a change. )

(Unless i get sidetracked playing advance wars on my micro again :D Now that really is like chicken!)

*points accusingly* MAJORA'S MASK IS SO DAMN UNDERRATED! IT IS ONE HELLOVA GOOD GAME!! DIE *stabs*

Mario Kart 64 is so hard to play now, I mean other than the fact that the controllers I gave my nephew are about 10 years old and reaching the end of their life... the game itself is still hard to control now. Especially after playing Mario Kart DS. The DS version is so precise and so clear, and then you go back to MK64 and its so hazy and you can't quite move your Kart the way you want to despite the fact you're using an analog stick instead of a D-Pad.

I got sidetracked with advance wars again... so i didn't play either mk64 or Majora's mask.

This is the first time i've played MM, and while certain sections have touches of Ocarina genius i'm finding it a bit annoying to be honest.

The time resetting thing is a great idea (in theory) but it kind of takes the fun out of your achievements when everything resets each day. (and was VERY annoying when i finished the Deku temple with 4 minutes to spare and then didn't have time to follow that butler through the deku shrine and get my "prize", whatever it was. :( )

there isn't as much of an overarching plot as ocarina either, at least not yet. But then I've only just beaten Snowhead so maybe it will all come together soon.

I just think maybe they overcomplicated it, when you have to worry about timing, songs, changing masks etc.. The user interface (and 3 c buttons) just don't seem up to it. You seem to have to press start and re assign items to the c buttons over and over again, simply because there are rooms than need the use of about 5 or 6 items/powers. Need more buttons!

hey lynk, is the GBA version of mariokart any good, since i'm not going to have a DS until the new one comes out?

The first thing to remember about Majora's Mask. It's not traditional Zelda like Ocarina of Time is. The best way to describe Ocarina of Time is that it's comfortably predictable. That's not to say that I hate Ocarina of Time... I love it, one of my favourite games of all time. All I'm saying is that there is a lot to Ocarina of Time that is wrong which people choose to ignore while pointing out every single "flaw" with Majora's Mask.

Majora's Mask as you've already noticed doesn't follow the grand story arc type thing Ocarina of Time does. This is on purpose, it's trying to introduce you to a different form of story telling. This type of story telling is something which is also present in Metroid Prime. With these two games YOU are the one who has to figure out what's going on by talking to people, piecing things together yourself by your own investigations. Of course I can understand why most people don't like this, they prefer things to be told to them in order... There is a plot, it's a very deep and profound one that when you do figure out, makes this a much darker game than Ocarina of Time. You haven't yet experienced the insanity that is Majora. I've seen that Twilight Princess is influenced heavily by Majora's Mask with what I've seen of it so far...

I'm assuming you don't know how to slow down time or jump ahead a day do you... bleah, well if that's the case, no wonder you've been having problems. It's true that there are a lot of songs and masks, but Ocarina of Time had quite a lot of items too. The difference between the use of these items from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask is that the majority of Majora's Mask focuses on "side quests" which really can't be called that in this game since it really is the meat of the game and tells you everything you need to know. If you interact with all of the people in clock town, and the surrounding lands in different ways and at different times, you'll find that this game has been put together very well with every possibility in mind.

Remember what I said, this isn't Ocarina of Time, what you think is your main quest isn't what's important. It's those supposed side quests which is what makes this game truely special. I remember by the time I got to the point when I was about to head off to defeat Majora, I was over at Romani Ranch..... *cries* it was a heart breaking scene when the moon was just minutes away from crashing into Termina... It was my first time versing Majora and I went after him so damn pissed off at all the crap he had pulled... XD yeah I really got into it lol

*points at everyone* You don't know the power of Majora's Mask dammit!

Anywayz, Mario Kart Super Circuit? Well I've only played it briefly and I like some of the tracks from it that are also on Mario Kart DS... but MKDS is so so so so much superior.

I'll be getting one, but only if it has backward compitbily. Othewrwise my standard Ds will be fine

One feature that has yet to be clarified is whether the unit will be backward compatible with Game Boy Advance games.

im doubting it will be backwards compatible...

I think it was confirmed immediately that it would be. (well gba anyway.. ordingary DSs don't do the larger, older carts either. )

If anything this is because the GBA port is/can be used for a lot of peripherals.

@lynk: I'm not hating MM or anything, or even trying to review it, as i've only played probably about 1/4 of it. I'm just finding it more fiddly and annoying than Ocarina. I'm sure that as i play through it more and the story becomes clear it'll grow on me.

Having to get money and loads of other items again each time you restart is annoying though... and they really need a new invenroty system for the new game. I hate assigning things to c buttons just to use them once!

(an example of the things that CAN be annoying is: get to temple, want to save, equip ocarina, play song of time, restart, need coins and items again, play song to slow time, play song of soaring, unequip ocarina. All that to be back where i started. :( )

(or equip deku mask to jump water, equip lens of truth to see hidden ladder, climb ladder, equip bottle, get hot water, unequip mask to jump off ledge into water, equip goron mask to be able to roll quickly, roll to ice, use bottle.. then repeat times 3 until you manage to discover the hot spring underground - thats 4 items needed and only 3 c buttons.)

Hehe, I remember getting through the last temple, going to play the song that saves I think, and I accidentally reset everything. So I had to do the whole goddamn thing again :mad:

Still I loved that game, and it's one of the few 64 games I loved but never bought *wrestlemania 2000 and star fox 64 are right up there as well*

@ toms: I know you weren't, I just like to go on uber big rants when people mention Majora's Mask as not being that great.

Have you ever thought of going to the bank to save your rupees? And as items go you can easily recover them just by rolling through Termina field as Goron-Link. You get to keep all of your permanent items though, it's not like you're truely starting from scratch every time since you get to keep that Bow that you get from the first temple, etc...

(btw, everything sounds that tedious when you explain it that way, even the events in ocarina of time or some other game)

Well either way, it's a good game, too bad most people don't know how good it actually is. The only thing they can ever talk about is how they hate restarting the 3 days, but ignore all the different possibilities they can create within those 3 days cause they never bother to explore that way.

hey lynk, you see this:

Last week's issue of Famitsu featured professional analyst predictions regarding the gaming industry and next-generation consoles in 2006. The magazine continued its forward thinking this week by asking for the opinion of others who shape the industry. The most recent issue of Famitsu collected data from 370 gamers, 113 retailers, and 47 game publishers, and collated them into a report that creates a picture of various industry perspectives for 2006.

Gamers and publishers both selected the PlayStation 3 as the likely top-selling product of 2006, followed closely by the Nintendo DS. Retailers, on the other hand, believe the DS will sell more than the PlayStation 3, considering that the machine is currently sold out despite being more than a year old. The Revolution was ranked third by gamers, fourth by retailers, and fifth by publishers.

Interesting mix of Rev and DS news there. Interesting to note the gamers rate the Rev a lot higher than the publishers - hope it doesn't mean a lack of support like the GCN got. And the fact the retailers think the DS will sell so many will be good ammo next time you ahve to argue with someone about PSP beating DS... ;)

I already knew all of this and had the ammunition to beat down a rabid PSP fan long before Famitsu showed us this XD

I can understand why publishers aren't sure about the Revolution. It's not a traditional console and does things differently, they're not sure how they're going to port games to it with the standard controller. I don't think they're worried so much about specs though, aside from HD the Revolution will definately be able to do the things the Xbox360 can do and possibly come close to the PS3 in its own way. Remember the tech in the GCN was closer to that of the PS2 but it cost less and worked more efficiently which put it on par with the Xbox. lol.

But this all sounds EXACTLY like before the DS hit stores. So going by how the DS went, the Revolution will start off slow in terms of games but will end up getting those developers really thinking and making great unique games.

Sony doesn't like their console being called game consoles. They like them to be called entertainment systems. ;)

PSP is nothing more than an entertainment system with basic add-on. Most of the games for PSP are just mere ports of PS games. They have released some new games, but mostly, the PSP is for the movies, being able to download ROMs on it and playing it and other tasks. The battery life being short has been brought up a lot for people that have a PSP. If can survive long when it's mobile, then it's really not much of a handheld console to begin with then.

Famitsu is base that article obviously on information collected in Japan. If you went to America, then you would see the support for Nintendo down and support for Microsoft up, since Microsoft more established in America than Japan and Nintendo is not as popular outside of Japan. Though, DS being the number 1 seller? Not out of the question at all. In America? I need to check the sales figures on that one.

Revolution is releasing Smash Brothers games on it's release. Depend if the following is strong for the series, which I think it is. Also depend on the price of Revolution which I keep hearing 300, then 250, then 200. In the end, Revolution might actually start off well since Smash Brother is a launch title. Most console usually don't have a strong launch title like Smash Brother. Last decent launch of a console I remember was N64 and Mario 64. Smash Brother with online play might give Revolution a better launch than say PS3 and X-box 360. I won't put it out of the question. In Japan? I think it's going to happen without a doubt. The following for Nintendo is still very strong there.

As for Majora's Mask, I would love to get into discussion about that in another topic. :)

Well no matter how much the Revolution lacks third party support initially here's what you will definately get on launch

• Super Smash Bros Revolution
  • Mario 128
  • Metroid Prime 3

,,,and also The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, because if people aren't willing to get a GameCube to play it, they'll certainly get a Revolution for it at least. So either way, Nintendo can really have one hellova kickass launch just by those 3-4 games on its list.

Super Smash Bros Revolution will do extremely well, it will do the best out of the three Revolution games since it will be online enabled and will give people tonnes of multiplayer fun.

Mario 128 will do well because a lot of people have been waiting for it for years now and knowing Nintendo it will be the title to show EVERYONE how game control will change for the better just as Mario 64 had done so all those years ago.

Metroid Prime 3 will kick ass because it will be an FPS that is NOT an FPS. It will be fast paced, it won't be a game that can be poked fun at for kiddieness and it will also feature some damn good multiplayer madness. And you can bet that it's gonna be online enabled as well.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess will do EXTREMELY well despite the fact that it's a GameCube game. People keep talking about graphics and high definition but people seem to forget that the least powerful and graphically handicapped system is selling the most. I'm talking about the PS2 of course lol.

Note that I'm not saying Nintendo will jump to the #1 position or anything, I'm just saying that Nintendo is still gonna come out will all guns blazing despite the initial lack of third party support. And I'm sure the worries third parties have about porting games to the Revolution will fade once the Traditional Controller Expansion is revealed.

Archived