Home

The Separation of Church and State

SkinWalker

@TK-8252 -

I have to agree with Jimbo Fett66 on his case. A quiz holds no weight over the Consitution or Bill of Rights. What is important is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights holds steady.

Bill of Rights

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html#amendmenti

When you are talking Founding Fathers, from the looks of things, Congress cannot force people into religion. In contradiction to that, Religion is protected by congress, and they can freely become involved with the government.

The Amendment does not say "Religion shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A quiz holds no weight over the Consitution or Bill of Rights.

Never said it did.

When you are talking Founding Fathers, from the looks of things, Congress cannot force people into religion. In contradiction to that, Religion is protected by congress, and they can freely become involved with the government.

The Amendment does not say "Religion shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

I refer you to Mike's post:

Semantics don't work here mate. First Amendment states what Congress can and cannot do yes, and it does not interfere with the operations of a church. However if a Church interferes with the operation of the government that is not Constitutional, thus Congress must uphold the First Amendment allowing equal religion for all. If one religion influences the government then religion is not equal for all.

By saying that Congress can neither advance nor inhibit religion it is establishing a separation of church and state. Church cannot become involved in government and government cannot become involved in church. This is the idea behind the whole "freedom of religion" thing. To argue otherwise is to argue with Thomas Jefferson.

• 4 weeks later...

16 out of 21!

Congratulations! You scored 16 correct out of 21!

14 - 17: Congratulations! Better informed than most Americans

:cool:

It should've had an option to inform the site you were non-American. From the form underneath it I gathered it was intended for Americans only.

Oh well, I've lived in the States, so I almost count:o.

Archived