Home

Review News

Guest DarthMaulUK

he said all planet maps are nearly the same, because there wasnt many open maps, and most are like fighting in a hall way, which loose devercity in stratagy. which i hope is a lie.[/Quote]

Nope on this one they were OK. Units can't pass through the forest. Ok for vehicules but what with the infantry ?

On other maps you have like 2 or at most 3 ways to pass. If you are looking for Total Anhilation kind of strategy then you will not find it here. And at the end yes they say true ground battles are way too repetetive.

I didn't try skirmish yet just the campaign.

Nope on this one they were OK. Units can't pass through the forest. Ok for vehicules but what with the infantry ?

On other maps you have like 2 or at most 3 ways to pass. If you are looking for Total Anhilation kind of strategy then you will not find it here. And at the end yes they say true ground battles are way too repetetive.

I didn't try skirmish yet just the campaign.

I havnt got to try campain yet. Galactic Conquest is so fun (not the impossibly large map). The rebals raid ability can be the ultimate weapon if u bring the right units (Obi-One, Han and Chewie, and a squad of Plex Soldiers) u can take almost any planet.

ok, germanys biggest pc magazine gave EaW 81 %

And here is why :

+

Effects, Animations

Soundtrack, Sound-effects

Balancing

Comfort of using

good MP Mode

star wars missions

galactic conquest mode

-

boring ground battles, boring maps

campagne much too easy

no original voices (german version)

you have to zoom out while playing the game, this destroys athmosphere

boring goals in star wars missions

boring story at all

Fazit:

What would EaW have been without the star wars license : just a normal game, nothing spectacular.

What could have been better :

galactic map looks boring and is lightyears away from rome:TW

classical base building on planets

diplomacy

more interestring story

not so generic-looking maps

Did anybody read the GamePro review? It's here: GamePro EAW Review

My favorite part is the last paragraph.

Ultimately, Empire at War isn't just RTS-lite--it's RTS extremely lite. Hardcore RTS fans will rapidly grow bored, and even fans of the franchise are better served with Battlefront for its galactic conquest games, or Galactic Battlegrounds for a Star Wars RTS experience that's actually an RTS. This game squanders much of its potential and, in the end, is simply unmemorable.

I think what he meant to say was "a Star Wars RTS experience that's actually Age of Empires 2 with different graphics." The reviewer makes it pretty clear that he doesn't want an RTS that differs at all from the Warcraft/Starcraft/Command & Conquer mold. No innovation is allowed apparently.

I also like how he complains about the few number of units available, then whines about the rock-paper-scissors balance of the units. So he'd prefer to have tons of units that all act the same, but just have varying strengths? I don't get it.

Yeah, I really just don't look at Gamespot, IGN, or any of those to see how good a game is. I only look at them for previews. I decide for myself, and thats that. Some of the greatest games aren't popular. What is good is not always popular, and what is popular is not always good. *Cough* Halo. Sorry, but I really enjoy Empire at War.

Action Trip gave it a 84 out of 100

http://www.actiontrip.com/reviews/starwarsempireatwar.phtml

SCORE

Very Good

Highs An engaging and complex real-time strategy, playing both as Empire and Rebellion, great audio;

Lows Might be a tad overwhelming for beginners, interface issues, a few minor AI hitches, land battles could've looked prettier.

Stability: A few odd bugs Learning curve: High

Eventhough I won't be playing my first game until about 9:00 pm tonight, I can honestly say that the booklet shows very little veriety in characters and technology advancement. Gallactic Battlegrounds had more characters, buildings, etc...

I know they are different, but one cannot ignore that KotOR II was extrodinary in design and content. EAW lacks content and variety on several levels. In Gallactic Battlegrounds, you can choose from about four to five races. In EAW you are limited to two. Buzz Kill. I would love the chance to play as anoher species.

I think this game will be enjoyable and worth the replay value. However, I won't be replaying this like I did with KotOR II. Gallactice Battlegrounds did get boring from time to time, so I expect that EAW will at some point.

Eventhough I won't be playing my first game until about 9:00 pm tonight, I can honestly say that the booklet shows very little veriety in characters and technology advancement. Gallactic Battlegrounds had more characters, buildings, etc...

I know they are different, but one cannot ignore that KotOR II was extrodinary in design and content. EAW lacks content and variety on several levels. In Gallactic Battlegrounds, you can choose from about four to five races. In EAW you are limited to two. Buzz Kill. I would love the chance to play as anoher species.

I think this game will be enjoyable and worth the replay value. However, I won't be replaying this like I did with KotOR II. Gallactice Battlegrounds did get boring from time to time, so I expect that EAW will at some point.

Four to five races? Um, not in the original one, the expansion maybe. The original is just The Empire and the Rebellion. The expansion is what gives you the Gungans, Naboo, Republic, and Confederacy. So actually your comparisons are false. Also the extra units in the original SWGB were just upgrades of regular units that took room for more characters.

My Personal Review

At the moment, I am looking and playing the game on my second computer. I just went through a few levels.

IMHO - Don't buy it. I will never be able to return this game, for the stores around here will only let me return it for the same game. Everything is allready preplaned, and there is no logical thinking to do. Just point and click to hell. From what I saw in screnes, they give a bad impression about the game logic. This game was made for kids between the ages of 7-12.

The logic in how the perspective changes from mouse scrolling is cool, but that is the only thing that is neat about this game.

I thought I could build my bases anywhere, but I was totaly wrong. Everything is preplanned. This game is so bad that this is my last post in the EAW forums. I heading back to KotOR II.

My Personal Review

At the moment, I am looking and playing the game on my second computer. I just went through a few levels.

IMHO - Don't buy it. I will never be able to return this game, for the stores around here will only let me return it for the same game. Everything is allready preplaned, and there is no logical thinking to do. Just point and click to hell. From what I saw in screnes, they give a bad impression about the game logic. This game was made for kids between the ages of 7-12.

The logic in how the perspective changes from mouse scrolling is cool, but that is the only thing that is neat about this game.

I thought I could build my bases anywhere, but I was totaly wrong. Everything is preplanned. This game is so bad that this is my last post in the EAW forums. I heading back to KotOR II.

Another person expecting Galactic Battlegrounds 2. Some people would actually PREFER the same RTS over and over and over again? Innovation is a good thing, in my opinion.

Four to five races? Um, not in the original one, the expansion maybe. The original is just The Empire and the Rebellion. The expansion is what gives you the Gungans, Naboo, Republic, and Confederacy. So actually your comparisons are false. Also the extra units in the original SWGB were just upgrades of regular units that took room for more characters.

wrong, the original gives you access to The Empire, Rebellion, Gungans, Naboo, Republic and Confederacy. The expansion was based on the Clone Wars.

• 2 weeks later...

Good review, A lot of reviewers though have knocked the land battles, i admit at first they were different from any other rts i have played but now i can't get enough of playing the land battles online.

Something just so satisfying having the emperor and darth vader under your control and dishing out mega punishment :lsduel:

P.S. i see he mentions the new clone wars t.v. series does anyone have any more info about when that is out.

Archived