Home

Casting Call

Bastila

I was thinking in the Role Playing forum this is just a suggesten, maybe you could make a sub forum for Casting Calls for when new threads are made for a role play and casting people as it would be much more easy for people to see what new role plays are up.

actually, i think the Dantooine Theatre could use some better organization. lately, the trend has been to first plan out the roleplay and then cast characters. quite frankly, its a great idea that really helps to organize the roleplay itself and turn it into something where everyone is on the same page instead of trying to gung-ho the whole thing.

i think having a sub-forum for the planning/casting for the roleplays would be a great thing as it would add to the organization as well as to encourage better roleplaying on the boards.

if the demand gets higher, then it gets my vote. :)

You have one thread for all characters where everyone posts their various personas. If a new RP starts up, one can just link to their post in the stickied thread for their character information. Each RP can have two threads, one for the actual RP and the other for OOC posts, which would be the planning thread. They would be similarly named, ex. "Blah blah (RP)" and "Blah blah (OOC)". This is the way it's worked for various other RP forums on LF for a long time now.

Well i have been doing Role Plays on another Forums and started to get into them, and i got lost in the Role play fourm as i couldn't really find new casting for new Role Play's so i think it would be helpful for people to find what new Role Plays are happening.

Or, how about just a thread? There's really no point in having multiple threads for one Roleplay.

Yes actually, in major roleplaying threads on most forums there's a separate discussion thread.

You have one thread for all characters where everyone posts their various personas. If a new RP starts up, one can just link to their post in the stickied thread for their character information. Each RP can have two threads, one for the actual RP and the other for OOC posts, which would be the planning thread. They would be similarly named, ex. "Blah blah (RP)" and "Blah blah (OOC)". This is the way it's worked for various other RP forums on LF for a long time now.

Personally I dislike the single Character threads, but they are a convenient starting point for newbies. Often, though, information posted them quickly becomes irrelevant as characters change (or never becomes relevant in the first place, since the poster may never join a thread).

The rest of the stuff about two threads per RPG if necessary is indeed how it's worked in other forums, and quite effectively, for some time.

We've never done casting call threads, but we've also never actively tried to recruit new members.

If you make three threads for one RPG, it could get pretty cluttered. Just two threads can get cluttery, with the discussion thread falling off the pages and going unused, etc. But I understand the potential benefit of Casting Call threads as a tool for getting attention of wandering people.

My advice: If you want to implement this, an experimental subforum for discussion/planning (I don't see a reason to have separate planning and discussion threads, one naturally becomes the other) and casting call threads might be a good idea. But you'll need to ditch any single Monothread where all character bios go, ala the one in the JK RPG forums. (A glance at the DTC tells me you don't have one anyway.)

Fitting the more rule-oriented style of these RPG forums than most, the Casting Call threads should be strictly related to casting only, to avoid spam. Especially since in this model you can still have the discussion threads.

(Hey, it is called the "Dantooine Theater Company". Why not have a "Backstage" forum?)

- My $0.10

Yes, but no need to have more than two, one to chart, and one for the actual RP.

I really see no reason to have one thread for charting, one for character listing, and then the RP.

Actually it would be one thread for charting, one for the RP, and one to attract new players.

Discussion threads tend to be immense and often don't make sense to anyone outside the initial stages of the RPG, which is why I see why the request for casting call threads is being made (would be much smaller, if I'm understanding correctly).

Would be the same amount of posts, in theory, as the currently accepted Character thread model, just more threads, which can be seen as superior organization.

Really, all we would need would be one subforum, besides the Theater Company. What you would do is post the Casting Call, then have those that join up post the character sheets in the Casting Call thread. Then, once it's ready to go, post the RPG again in the main forum and begin to play. It helps to orginize things quite a bit.

Archived