Home

An idea for a 'simplified' persistant damage

brownassociate

Here is my "simple solution" to the persistant damage debate...

Why not just use the game clock to determine repairs?

-Each day is broken down into, I think, 6 squares. Why not allow each ship to repair 5% of EVERY hard point when a time sqaure fills up.

-By oversimplifying it, there would be no need to micromanage. You could also build buildings which aid in repairing, say adds 5% each time square. If there are 6 sqaures per day, each ship repairs 30% a day, which I think is feasible.

-Hard points that are 80% damaged would take about 2.5 days to fully repair.

-Of course, ships in hyperspace would not repair.

-You could also make smaller ships repair faster than larger ships.

Just some thoughts.

Nice idea! That would also make it harder for people to make decisions as for what to build on their planets and force them to either specialize or spread out their installations even more.

And it allows for more strategy in space as an attacker might not be able to destroy all forces but could knock out the repair booster to make the next attack easier.

I still think not having persistant damage is a good idea, otherwise you might end up with people going in, doing a little damage, and then ducking out, and doing this repeatedly in a small period of time, where as the durrent system forces you to commit until you destroy your objective, not just go in and knock out shields, then run, then come back and knock out a hanger, then leave...

While I admit the idea is sound, it can cause headaches for some people as you could easily just send in a couple squads of Y-Wings to do damage, and then another squad, and another, and you'd have the potential of ending up with a scenario of an attack every so many seconds until they destroy... That'd drive me nuts...

Right now when you attak you're committed to the attack, and need to destroy something for it to be worth it..

Exactly... While admit that each Y-Wing squad would probably not last, it'd be annoying as hell to have someone do nothing but send small "damage" attacks, especially online when you don't want to suffer through 20 attacks on a single fleet which consist of only about 10 or 20 seconds of anything since they launch torpedos and run...

Stop them retreating then. Use gravity wells.

They'd arrive and realise they can't leave, and then die trying to win an impossible battle and never return with such a pathetic fleet.

Exactly. And what about the Y-wings? Their damage would be persistant too! Not to mention, the fact that the Y-wings are defenseless! The Y-wings would get mauled by any fighter let alone a gunship which can take them out while running so they can't attack it in turn. Besides, for every capital ship target, is another squad of fighters and bombers to kill the Y-wings. In conclusion I think that this an awesome idea.

Or until you go and find it....

I image if you do recon before hitting the enemy you'd be fine...

And I never said ONLY Y-Wings, I'd send them in with Nebulon B's and corvettes and some A-Wings, ships that can go in, hold the enemy at bay while the Y-Wings do their things, then run... Hell the A-Wings have that whole "Lure Enemy" thing, so lure the enemies away for the Y-Wings...

This is by far the best way to handle repairs, it keeps it simple for those new to strategy games and appeases those (like myself ) who would have prefered more involvement in the repairs. Patch maybe??

I am concerned however, that they are clearly dumming this game down, as i think it is a shame there is no diplomacy to sway un commited worlds like in Rebellion/Supremacy.

Thats more than a bit off topic, Zalcron, but yeah, you can kill off every hero EXCEPT The Emperor or Mothra Mothma. Any ways... Nakatomi, I understand that that is a possibility but keep in mind it's just a theory, you'd have to be a good player to use that technique otherwise you'd just get wasted, plus your last rebuttle said that you'd bring other lager ships, guess what? Thats no longer a hit and run attack on larger ships, thats a full scale assault!

Archived