Home

Movment when engines blown up?

GhOsT-Jedi

Is it just me, or does anyone else notice that ships can still move around like nothing with their engines blown up... For me, they can turn, go at top speed and all that. So, is it just me? Or does anyone else see this?

If this has been asked or already discussed, please close as it has no point.

Turning and movement speed is greatly reduced when engines are destroyed.

A ship with its engines destroyed cannot retreat and will be lost. I've been in several tough battles where my main capital ships have lost their engines so retreat isn't an option. I have to fight on and hope the battle can be won and some of them survive.

And it some cases it can be, or at least give them hell...

I had a game as the Rebellion where I had an Ion cannon on the planet, and sent in wave after wave of Y-Wings and frigates to attack the targets while they were disabled... The station took a beating, and I dished it out as best I could... It was bitchin'... I took out like 1/3 of their fleet before they started calling in their SDs two or three at a time....

Is it just me, or does anyone else notice that ships can still move around like nothing with their engines blown up... For me, they can turn, go at top speed and all that. So, is it just me? Or does anyone else see this?

If this has been asked or already discussed, please close as it has no point.

I already made a topic on this....(close?)

For me, the Ships do move extra slowly, but I would not expect them to 'Stop.'

Space physics dictates that there is no friction in Space, therefore, no force that would 'stop' the Ship. Infact, a ship would continue on at their speed until some outside force reacts against it.

When the engines are destroyed both hyperdrive and sublight engines are gone. Though because space has no friction, your ships can still move VERY slowly.

its not because of friction or what ever. with out engines i can still stop and go.

Just to be technical, if the engine of a spaceship was really disabled, the ship would continue to move at whatever speed and in whichever direction it was moving right before the engine stopped. Without the engine, the ship wouldn't stop outright--it simply wouldn't be able to change direction or speed any more and would drift along.

--You friendly neighborhood physics major

While Wedge is right, in this case we'll say that when the engines are gone sublight and lightspeed capabilities are gone. The ship stopping and going are the result of manuevering thrusters... The kind you'd see a ship using while docking at a space station...

The space shuttle for example, it uses it's booster engines to do major movements, but uses only small thrusters for precision docking with the space station...

Okay so maybe it would keep going... but there is a TINY bit of friction in space due to sparse gases and such. So it would slowly come to a hault. But it doesnt matter lol, as this here is an example of gameplay > realism. Heh, though it would be humorous to see star destroyers ramming into one anouther. But not much fun if you are the player who is in control of them.

Not necessarily true. Even though there is no friction, there IS gravity. Everything has gravity, asteroids, dirt, a pencil, everything. In EaW we will usually be very close to the orbit of a planet, and large clusters of large asteroids as well. I imagine while a ship would keep going, it would slow a little bit and start changing direction even towards the point of the strongest amount of gravity.

Yeah, that's called 'orbiting.' But at the relatively (compared to planets, etc) small scale these battle take place in, and in the extremely low density vacuum, there wouldn't be anything to stop the ships from drifting out of range of the battle if they lost control, short of physical collisions.

But hey, I'm not asking for a perfect space simulator. I'm asking for Star Wars action, which requires silly impossible things, but is oh so fun!

i think in star wars the laws of phisics is diffrent.

like in any other scifi movie ;)

endless running engines that have been mentioned before

and the second most often mistake: sounds

damit, there are no sounds in vacuum :smash:

[nerdmodeoff]

me loves star wars sounds ;) reality go home

@Kokosmakroon: you should stop watching the episode 3 space battle that often ;)

• 1 month later...

when you lose the engine it is like losing the whole ship. If you lose an engine in a battle, the ship goes really slow, but when the battle is over, you look at the results and you lost that ship too. If you dont have an engine on a ship and the battle is over, the ship is automatically destroyed, so good for small fleets vs huge fleets which will be overwhelmed.

Archived