Home

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth II

Will you take the plunge?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will you take the plunge?

• Heck yes, I'm buying it!
    • no way! EA is just milking a dead franchise!

Yes, you've heard about. And most of you voted against it in a recent poll between BFME II and EaW. It's the sequel to Battle for Middle-Earth. An okay game that many thouht it was a dissappointment. Well, now its sequel is being released. Now, you can create-a-hero, play on maps from the books, naval combat, and much more. There is also a demo coming out very soon and the game is going to be released in about three weeks time. Well, there you have it. I certainly am hyped up about the game.

Anyway.....here are some links to the game site.

BFME II

BFME II Demo

BFME II Gamespot

I thought the first one was more of a Hero RTS than anything else. Sure there were other units around, but when push came to shove, the heroes and powers won the battle. In that sense, I thought it was awesome. But as an RTS with full scale armies clashing, it was lacking. I'll be buying this one most likely, unless the demo really turns me off.

Well, anyway, right now I am downloading the demo. But I restarted it. Well, when I got home I downloaded from Gamespot. I reached 10% after two hours of downloading. So, then somebody told me about Internet Download Manager and I had the reset my PC. I did but this time I used File Planet (but doesn't reall matter what you use. Anyway, I have reached 15% in about 15 minutes. So, I'd suggest trying IDM.

Well, anyway feel free to ask any questions about it and I'll post some screenshots.

Just finished playing part of the first tutorial. It sure wasnt as captivating as EaW's tutorial was, but of course I am slightly biased. It really felt to me like the same old RTS formula only LoTR style. It is becoming apparent that game developers are gonna have to change up the formula or else only specilized customers will buy. What I mean is, only LoTR fans will buy this game, not the general RTS fans. Of course, this may not be the case but for me it is.

I'll give it anouther go tommorow, just a skirmish or the advanced tutorial. But the basic one was just boring and it had bugs in it. I could tell it was the same old engine as Generals too, even after all these years they cant start fresh. Im sure glad EaW has a new engine to play around with.

So far, im not impressed, but i'll give it anouther go tommorow.

After playing it a few times, I am actually impressed. The game poses more of a challenge than the first game. I have mostly played as the Dwarves and have only used 2 of the Heros. Dain and Gimli (there is also Gloin), Dain is pretty good and Gimli is still the same as in BFME. Though he is still powerful the units are pretty sweet.

Now, there is mines for your resource collector (at least for the Dwarves and Goblins)but the Goblins do have Lumber Mills also.) For the Dwarves, you can get such powers as, Barrage (Rocks barrage an area), Earthquake, "Building Healer" (can't remember what it's called :xp:), and Heal. Though there is more than that. And for Goblins, you have War Chant (increases attack), Dragon, Balrog, and allies such as Wild Men, and Goblin/Cave Liars. And there is more than this.

Though I wasn't able to create a hero. I can't wait to create own when the game comes out. Anyway.....

-Commander Obi-Wan

Nice demo, but I stilll think EAW is much better. But at elast they dropped the castles and stuff and used a free build mode. And I would like to create my own heros as well (without modding one in that is). Walls aren't really usefull though, unless you build them to place weapons on them. It's a vast improvement of the previous game, but some things still need a few changes.

So what? Doesn't make them more cost-effective.

You're just saying that if you have more ressources you can afford more expensive stuff. Well, that ain't news to anyone.

However, this is pricing a 1990 Honda Civic the price of a fully armored Humvee. It's overpriced compared to its usefulness.

I was just pointing out the possibly of increasing it so you'd have more resources to spent on walls. I personally don't think they are that expensive.

Anyway, if you go to the official site BFME II (hopefully this link works XP), there is some new videos under Middle Earth Monday. There is a sweet video for the armies of Mordor and Isengard.

Isengard has the Tower of Orthanc has its "advantage" on the fortress. The special ability for Orthanc is a lightning-type of attack. And Mordor has the Tower of Barad-Dur. It has a fire ability.

I agree that walls are way too expensive to be of any use, especially when the goblins can just climb right over.

And holy crap, some of these powers are insanely powerful. The earthquake can demolish most of the enemy buildings and knock off all the additions to the fortress.

All in all, I like the game, but EAW will be taking priority. It just seems to be more balanced and doesn't have the worry of taking an hour to beat your foe back to his base only to have a dragon spawn in yours.

well im not a lotr fan because i think they copied star wars with the good and evil stuff(alot of movies are starting to do that) and i dont really like movies that are obsesed with objects(ring) im giving the demo a try but nothing can ever match star wars ever IMO

I was just pointing out the possibly of increasing it so you'd have more resources to spent on walls. I personally don't think they are that expensive.

Are you sure? A tiny portion can cost 300 gold + the wall hub. Pretty darn expensive when you compare it to the units.

Again, pointing that out was fairly useless since this is more of a balance issue then a monetary one.

well im not a lotr fan because i think they copied star wars with the good and evil stuff

Yeah, LotR copied Star Wars even if the books first came out back in the 60's and Star Wars only came out in 1977. Yeah...and Star Wars invented the whol e good vs evil concept...because it only existed in the late 20th century and not since the dawn of time.

Are you sure? A tiny portion can cost 300 gold + the wall hub. Pretty darn expensive when you compare it to the units.

Again, pointing that out was fairly useless since this is more of a balance issue then a monetary one.

Ummm......it cost me about 100 gold per wall portion for me. And a wall hub 200 gold. What you said sounds expensive, though.

im not even going to try the demo, doesnrt look appealing to me and ya i am getting tired or gathering resources for like an 1 hour and soon die in 5 mins...i dont like heros being so strong that it might take 100 or more units to kill it

I don't mid collecting resources. I think EaW is influencing gamers away for resource collecting....meh. You don't die in like 5 min if you stratigize your attacks and defense. Also, using the armies advantages help. Meh. I am stilling getting the game and I like the game.

is there any places were i can get a 400kbps+ and almost no wait im still in line at filefront because im only getting dial up speed every where else including gamespots website(i do have cable internet)

Try http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/lotrbattlemiddle2/bfme2demo_english_final.exe.html and I'd suggest downloading Internet Download Manager.

Archived