Home

That doesn't sound good...

Ack

Don't die!

I've been watching this Mod for so long, It far surpasses almost all other SP mods, and its only a demo of three levels so far.

Please don't give up, your doing such a great job, even if the final product ends up feeling a bit like a glorified map pack, it would be such a shame.

Oh well, good luck...

Yeah I kinda expected this unfortunately :( Being a third-year in college now I know what it's like running out of time to work on projects like this. I started learning mapmaking with Radiant over summer, along with model creation and texturing in Blender... hoping I could help a little. But, I spend a lot of my free time working on X-Plane stuff during the school year which pretty much excludes anything else.

You guys have done an outstanding job with what you've completed already. It'd be awesome to just have six levels in the end, six complete levels is quite an accomplishment for a small group that isn't getting a paycheck for their work. Even if Testbase and Dtention don't get entirely finished, we'd love to see what was accomplished. Also what came of the earlier version of the Robotics facility? Anyway, thanks for all you've done!

That really doesn't sound good, and it shocked me to be honest. I've watched this forum and have been waiting so long to play another demo, but now it seems that all the long waiting and hoping was for nothing. :-( It's so sad, I wish there would be more of you guys who are skilled enough to continue this had work. I wish you good luck and I hope that this won't be really the end for this project!

I say release what you have...the next 3 levels, and call it a done deal. Any team that can make a highly detailed 6-level MOD should at least finish the last 3 levels. Your work is simply awesome, and inspiring to the rest of the modding community. It is because of your spectacular MOD that the DF2MOD and SOTE MOD were started in the first place. We all remember how this saga started, with DF...and you the DF MOD Team resurrected a great original game, with the already spectacular new Q3AJA engine, raw talent, sheer will and determination, global (really...this team is worldwide) coordination, and no form of a paycheck whatsoever for your hard work and efforts except a "thanks" from the entire modding community. Now you'll excuse me if I'm curt with you because time is short...so pretty please, with sugar on it, release the f-in' MOD (yes I borrowed from Pulp Fiction lol). Thank you all again, best of luck to all of you in whatever you do with your creative talents and exceptional skills, and as always, MTFBWY!!!

MG

Like anyone else I'm disappointed to hear things might not continue and worried not only because I have a personal stake in this (DF2Mod shares forum space with DFMOD) but because they have produced a great mod thus far, as everyone else has said. From what I've seen, Gromas, is nearly finished so that could get released and I could be wrong, but I don't think anybody wants to quit without finishing the first 6 levels. And, hell, if they want my help, I'm in. I'll pick up DFMod mapping if it will help keep this thing alive.

That the mod team has stuck with it this long is a testament to their tenacity. I certainly hope the next few levels can be brought to completion and released, but I don't see how the whole mod could be completed in any reasonable amount of time at the current rate of progress without some sort of magical time-altering device.

This actually makes me want to join the mod team myself and help. Granted, I've expressed that desire before, but now that I think of it, I'd probably have enough free time to be of help if I could manage my time properly, which is a big if considering how badly I've done that for the past few years. Still, with an actual objective in mind, like helping out the mod, I think I might be able to manage it. I guess you'll find out based on whether I actually end up doing anything or not.

:( I really hope this mod lives on.

I can understand that suddely you might run out of time, that happens. A lot.

But should it be that the mod dies on your hands, could you then give the work to someone who would be interested ?

(I am not interested.. well I am, but I wouldent know how to work with it...)

It is saddening to see the mod come to a close, although people should realize that the news on their website was remarked on the possibility of an incomplete end. They didn't say, "We're dead, goodbye."

This mod showcased amazing effort in recreation and detail; the design of the maps in the second demo could easily be considered as above the quality of Raven's work in JO and JA. Unfortunately, a potential failure to produce the entire recreation hasn't suprised me before; many mods of this size in numerous game communities never see the light of day as a finished package. This mod could have used more personnel, which would have been available if the community was larger (consequently being more supportive), which traces back to the internal problems of JA.

If you want to see a similar mod that has been more privileged and will probably survive, check out Black Mesa: Source.

NO!!!!!!!!!!

Why dont you just let everybody who wants to, join the team?? I dont really have much experience, but I would help with anything I can!!!

I was so excited for Nar Shadda and Arc Hammer!!!

I wasn't under the impression that there was a large number of people clamoring to join the team but being denied. Have you actually tried to join the mod team?

That said, would you really want to see such abuses of punctuation marks in a mod? :p;)

Only if it was a punctuation mod ;-)

About joining the mod, we simply cannot take anyone, sorry.

We need a "minimum" of experience in mapping and modding.

Although half of the team has learned the how-to's while working on the mod,

we can't give such huge maps to work on a trial basis now.

They are simply too large and need much more than just basic mapping.

We always write: it will take the time it takes.

We could have done the DF maps 1:1, and we would have finished much earlier.

But that was never our intention, instead, we try to make the maps better!

Of course, everyone is welcome to help, but please understand we will ask

to present us good proof of work!

We are continuing, slowly, but we are continuing :p

But for how long? I've got no problem waiting, years if need be, because I believe that this will be worth the wait. But from the sound of it there might never be a "this" to be worth the wait.

That would be ... well I can't find a word, bad sort of fits. Wish I could help but I lack all skill.

But for how long? I've got no problem waiting, years if need be, because I believe that this will be worth the wait. But from the sound of it there might never be a "this" to be worth the wait.

That would be ... well I can't find a word, bad sort of fits. Wish I could help but I lack all skill.

Ahh, don't be so cynical, chris the cynic. :p

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting, we already received one help offer, but its not enough yet ...

To clarify:

It is not about console scripting, as some might think.

We need abilities in ICARUS and ROFF scripting.

ICARUS scripts can be used for e.g. animating characters in cutscenes,

but also to perform actions in a map like moving elevators,

opening doors, more advanced logic behind buttons etc.

ROFF are special scripts that make models move around in a more complex way, opposite to just straight forward (like platforms).

E.g. we want to let the Crow fly inside a level, or TF or X-Wings.

Remember the Crow taking off after Kyle starts a mission,

and picks him up later at a different place.

If you think you can do both, or are really willing to learn how to do this,

please let us know.

But you should already know how to map and to script to as certain degree,

or have enough time to work on this mod.

Thanks.

Thanks for posting, we already received one help offer, but its not enough yet ...

To clarify:

It is not about console scripting, as some might think.

We need abilities in ICARUS and ROFF scripting.

ICARUS scripts can be used for e.g. animating characters in cutscenes,

but also to perform actions in a map like moving elevators,

opening doors, more advanced logic behind buttons etc.

ROFF are special scripts that make models move around in a more complex way, opposite to just straight forward (like platforms).

E.g. we want to let the Crow fly inside a level, or TF or X-Wings.

Remember the Crow taking off after Kyle starts a mission,

and picks him up later at a different place.

If you think you can do both, or are really willing to learn how to do this,

please let us know.

But you should already know how to map and to script to as certain degree,

or have enough time to work on this mod.

Thanks.

Tried asking around on Map Review? Some of the folks on there may be able to lend a hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, did I miss something? If you guys do decide to bail though, may I suggest something? Release all your source to the public. At least that way some intrepid souls can get working on a Multiplayer pack.

In any case, MTFBWY. ;)

Archived