Home

Battlefield 2

Lorden Darkblade

It would appear you can run it. As for what's better, it's a matter of opnion of course but I'd say Battlefield 2, if for no other reason than Lucasarts tends to put out games, maybe patch 'em once or twice, then write them off. With Battlefield 2, you'll have a MUCH bigger community, more support, expansions, etc...

@jmac7142: cheers for that site.. thats a very handy tool. Turns out i can run a lot more recent games than i thought i could.. looks like that 9600 pro was £60 well spent!

Turns out i have an XP 1.8+ as well.. who knew...

I did the test and it says I can't run it.

Apparently it requires a 1.7 and I use a 1.6.

Oh well...

Are you sure it's not refering to Pentium clock speeds? Cause aren't AMD clock speeds slower but just as good?

Also, don't get the Expansion Pack with it, cause you might not like it, so only get it if you like it.

Also, my Xfire name is Zerstorer23, if you have it, we can play together.

I've got an XP 1.5 1800+ - but that system checker was smart enough to recognise it and said it was fast enough to meet the minimum requirements for every game I tried.

SO its shouldn't have failed him based on getting the clock speed wrong.

It doesn't meet the recommended specs for a lot of them though.

I think I could do with another 512mb ram as well.. but I'm gonna replace my desktop with a laptop in the next few months so its not worth spending the money upgrading it now.

The problem I have is that my wireless connection drops every couple of hours.. and it seems especially prone to this when the CPU is under heavy load. Which is one reason why i've avoided online games.. as it would be very annoying to keep getting dropped out of games all the time. Stupid windows wireless code :(

The demo seems to run fine in single player at low and medium settings (haven't tried high).

Thats only 800x600 - but it looks ok.

My pc is silightly better than yours, but not much:

Athlon XP 1.5 1800+

512mb

Radeon 9600pro 256mb

Haven't tried multiplayer yet as i'm still running around like a headless chicken trying to work out what is going on. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Battlefield 2 is awesome, I play it at my vocational center. Heres the thing, those comps have 1 gig of ram, dual processors at 2.8 ghz, and some sorta ATI Radeon card, can't remember the exact name. It runs decently with the graphics on medium on those machines, with occasional crashes to the desktop. I mean, this game is a flipping resource whore... no joke, it would gladly suck up more than a gig of ram if those pcs had that much...

Battlefront 2 would probably run better, but I doubt its as good as Battlefield 2, cause that game is just awesome... really... no joke. The thing I don't understand is that the graphics aren't that overly amazing... crap, some of my 'cube games have graphics that appear better than this... (even if they are at a lower resolution...)

I finally got BF2 to start running again. I downloaded the full 1.2 patch and installed it, that fixed it.

So I celebrated by getting +30 kills in Karkand as a medic hiding under the train, it was like shooting fish in a barrel cause they were all looking the other way. So I'm happy.

In other news, I'm looking for a new video card. Either a 6800GS or 7800GS for $220/$320.

I finally got BF2 to start running again. I downloaded the full 1.2 patch and installed it, that fixed it.

So I celebrated by getting +30 kills in Karkand as a medic hiding under the train, it was like shooting fish in a barrel cause they were all looking the other way. So I'm happy.

In other news, I'm looking for a new video card. Either a 6800GS or 7800GS for $220/$320.

Mail me your old card. ;)

Go for the 7800!

Mail me your old card. ;)

Go for the 7800!

Gee, well you see... I'm kinda thinking of using my 6600GT to sell on eBay and get around (hopefully) $100 to help pay for it. So like.... noes.

But yah, I've choosen that if I get one, it's going to be the 7800GS, a splurge that would be well worth it, and I would finally have a first class video card instead of a mid-range piece of monkey poo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130272

Can't wait to see how it plays BF2 and Oblivion. ^_^

Archived