Home

Does Jan Ors have a robotic hand?

Katarn07

Alright I'll take your word for it.

One other situation I'm wondering about... in Jedi Outcast you can spawn in "Jedi Jan" and I swore the model was slightly different (npc spawn jedif). Then again Jan was never a Jedi so perhaps you could ignore it if she lacked the "glove."

So the only question that remains.. just what is this "glove" really?

I was never really taken with FMV in games. Jedi Knight was an excellent game, but I didn't care much for the acting in the cutscenes. I've forced myself to forget the cutscenes in Rebel Assault II, the entire game for that matter.

I know when Wing Commander became a FMV game I lost interest in the series, I enjoyed WC1 and 2 alot, but once 3 came along I just wasn't interested in playing the game anymore. I'm glad we are away from those sequences in games.

Oh, and the first time I really noticed Jan Ors gloved hand was in DF II Jedi Knight, then when playing the first DF I started noticing it as well. I've never pondered whether it was a cynthetic replacement until this posts - could be though.

I'm surprised the dreaded WOTC RPG hasn't written or re-written this detail yet, as they've pretty much screwed with every other detail of the Dark Forces/JK series thus far it seems...
Can you be more specific??

You really need a third canon source to override two games that conflict (and the databank doesn't count).
What do you take as an official canon source?

An official canon source would be like a liscensed Star Wars novel, guidebook, movie reference, recent George Lucas quote, etc. Not another game, not some wiki page (none of which are official), not the databank.

A lot of the game stuff becomes murky because of the game mechanics that are there by nature. Comic books exaggerate things (as does the Clone Wars series). So it's not that such things can't contain canon, just that it's far easier to see it elsewhere. It's much easier to read things into games when we take them out of the game context (like one person interpreted Dark Forces as showing that Kyle Katarn always had high force ability because he used the Force to carry all those heavy weapons in the first game!).

Of course when you're talking about game stuff you also have to check it for accuracy. For example I think the NEG to Characters said that Kyle Katarn spared the life of Sariss. However in the game and the novelle he clearly kills her (the author probably got her confused with Tavion, who is dead anyway later on after the book was written).

An official canon source would be like a liscensed Star Wars novel, guidebook, movie reference, recent George Lucas quote, etc. Not another game, not some wiki page (none of which are official), not the databank

Jan has been integrated into WoTCs RPG stuff. (I linked to it earlier) Some of the story about her and Kyles adventures after the YV War are from WOTC sources(as well as DH sources)

In Star Wars Tales #21 - Equals and opposites you can see clearly that Jan has a mechanical right hand. This story takes place during the Yuuzhan Vong war, so it isn't certain that at the time of the DF/JK games her right hand was already mechanical. But I think it probably was.

excellent - a (possible)confirmation that she *does* have a mechanical hand -though it'd be nice to have a pic. Any chance of a page scan or even just a digital pic of that ?? Though teh events of DF1 and JK are FAR before the YV war :) So that still doesnt explain why/how.

Kurgan of course will tell us that the Tales comics are a dubious canon source, but since Jan is a game character, any information is good information, as stuff on her is very scarce :)

mtfbwya

Kurgan, you know ive rigged VB3 so that use of Wiki in the EU area as a reference will cause you to contract leprosy :p

re- "Tales" canon status - I'd prefer to hear that statement from Leland Chee as opposed to some fat guy in a jedi robe typing a wiki article on his momz computer :p bah !

Back on topic :

Ive come across my old Dark Forces novels... going to check them out myself, to see if any relevant details have been missed :)

belated edit- A friend has also let me borrow her uber rare DF audiobooks...I'll eventually get around to listening, and will advise if I hear anything special...

mtfbwya

My point was even your beloved wiki claims the first 20 issues of Tales aren't canon. One can't be too careful. ;)

Ive come across my old Dark Forces novels... going to check them out myself, to see if any relevant details have been missed

Roger, that.

Archived