Home

Legacy of the Force Series [spoiler tags plz]

Foshjedi2004

Astro Edit - As the thread title states, please use spoiler tags, this is done like this:

{spoiler} text etc etc {/spoiler} Please note you must actually use the square brackets ie [x][/x] :)

Book 1- Betrayel - Released May 30th 2006

Betrayal takes place in the era of Luke Skywalker's legacy, where the Jedi Master has unified the order into a cohesive group of powerful Jedi Knights. But as the new era begins, planetary interests threaten to disrupt the peace. The book begins with a mission to uncover an illegal missile factory on the planet Adumar but ends in a violent ambush that Jedi Knight Jacen Solo and his protégé and cousin, Ben Skywalker, narrowly escape with their lives. This ambush is the most alarming evidence yet of political unrest that is threatening to ignite into total rebellion. The governments of numerous worlds are chafing under the strict regulations of the Galactic Alliance, and diplomatic efforts to enforce compliance are failing. The Alliance readies a preemptive display of military might on the world of Corellia in a bid to bring the rogue worlds to heel before an uprising erupts.

Jacen Solo is duty bound as a Jedi to stand with his uncle, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, on the side of the Galactic Alliance. But the Corellian's counterstrike, the Alliance's show of force and a secret mission to disable Corellia's crucial Centerpoint Station give way to an armed skirmish. Once the skirmish is over, the battle lines will have become drawn. Now the specter of full-scale war looms between a growing cadre of defiant planets and the Galactic Alliance that some fear is becoming a new Empire. Even as both sides struggle to find a diplomatic solution, mysterious acts of treachery and sabotage threaten to doom peace efforts at every turn.

Determined to root out those behind the mayhem, Jacen follows a trail of cryptic clues to a dark rendezvous with the most shocking of revelations. Meanwhile Luke grapples with dream visions of a shadowy figure whose Force power and ruthlessness remind him of Darth Vader - a lethal enemy who strikes like a dark spirit on a mission of doom. An agent of evil who, if Luke's visions come to pass, will bring untold pain to the Jedi Master and to the entire galaxy. In the book evil is rising again and, out of the best intentions, it looks as if the legacy of the Skywalkers may come full circle.

034547734001_1.jpg

Book 2- Bloodlines - Released September 06

"But the bitterest enemy can be your own flesh and blood - and your foe can turn out to be your only ally."

In Bloodlines, a civil war continues to break out in the Galactic Alliance. Meanwhile, acts of terrorism force the Alliance to create even more repressive laws. Many families find themselves divided, including the Solo/Skywalkers. Old enemies Han Solo and Boba Fett are forced to work together as they learn new information about their children. Meanwhile Luke and Mara Skywalker fear for their son, Ben Skywalker, when his Jedi Master, Jacen Solo, makes a dangerous choice. This choice shocks both families and the galaxy.

SW.com Blurb:

Civil war looms as the fledgling Galactic Alliance confronts a growing number of worlds set on rebellion -- and the approaching war is tearing the Skywalker and Solo families apart. Han's Corellian roots and Luke's dedication to the Jedi order are driving a wedge between the families. Han and Leia's children, Jacen and Jaina, are soldiers in the Galactic Alliance's campaign to crush the insurgents. Luke and Mara are unable to protect their son Ben from war. The quest of an assassin draws out a dreaded name from the past: Boba Fett. And in the new galactic order, friends and enemies are no longer what they seem...

bloodlines6aw.jpg

Book 3: Tempest by Troy Denning (November 2006, Paperback)

As the stand-off between the Galactic Alliance and its rebellious member states erupts into full-blown battle, the new Corellian leadership develops a desperate plan to draw the Hapan Consortium into the war on their side. But, the plot poses a moral quandry for Han and Leia Solo, who cannot abide deliberately spreading the war any more than they can the murder of the Hapan Queen Mother, ex-Jedi Knight Tenel Ka. Taking it upon themselves to save her life - and that of her young daughter, Allana - the Solos set in motion a firestorm of confusion and mayhem that will pit children against parents, bring Luke Skywalker into battle with his foremost nemesis, and leave them at the mercy of one of the Jedi's oldest and most deadly enemies....

SW.com Blurb:

Forty years after the Battle of Yavin, a dangerous new era in the Star Wars epic begins with the nine-book series, Legacy of the Force. Here's a first look at book three, Tempest, by Troy Denning.

As civil war threatens the unity of the Galactic Alliance, Han and Leia Solo have infuriated their families and the Jedi by joining the Corellian insurgents. But the Solos draw the line when they discover a rebel plot that hinges upon the murder of a longtime ally and her daughter.

The Solos' selfless determination to prevent this death cannot dispel the inescapable consequences of their actions, which will pit mother against son and brother against sister in the battles ahead. For elsewhere in the galaxy, a once-forgotten menace, Lumiya -- Dark Lady of the Sith -- is tipping the balance of the Force once more towards the darkness...

20060523_bg.jpg

Book 4: Exile by Aaron Allston (February 2007, Paperback)

A dangerous new era in the Star Wars expanded universe continues with the nine-book series, Legacy of the Force, published by Del Rey Books and here's a first look at book four, Exile by Aaron Allston.

The cover to Exile is by artist Jason Felix, who was recently profiled here. The fourth book in the series will be released in paperback, but the series itself is a mix of three hardcovers and six mass-market paperbacks. In addition to Allston, the series features authors Troy Denning and Karen Traviss. The second book, Bloodlines by Traviss, is scheduled for release this week.

Star Wars: Legacy of the Force: Exile is scheduled for release in March 2007 from Del Rey Books. Here are the titles are they are currently scheduled. Please keep in mind that the further down the schedule you go, the more likely dates are subject to change.

20060828bgdm7.jpg

Book 5: Sacrifice by Karen Traviss (June 2007, Hardcover)

To bring peace and order to a galaxy at war, Jacen Solo will sacrifice anything -- or anyone. Now the moment of choice is at hand...

Or rather, will be at hand this May with the release of Sacrifice, the fifth book in the Legacy of the Force series from Del Rey Books. There's many reasons to dive into this hardcover release, not the least of which is the engrossing saga of Jacen Solo which continues to move the decorated hero into the role of Dark Lord of the Sith. This book will reveal Jacen's Sith name, which fans will help determine through an online poll later this month!

Here's a first look at Sacrifice, with cover illustration by Jason Felix and design by David Stevenson. The book is by best-selling author Karen Traviss, one of the three authors (along with Aaron Allston and Troy Denning) contributing to the Legacy of the Force story arc. Fans know Traviss from her popular Republic Commando novels. Also this year, readers can look forward to a third book in the Republic Commando series, True Colors, slated for an August 2007 release in paperback.

Here's a list of the titles in the Legacy of the Force series. Sacrifice is currently scheduled to hit bookstores on May 22, 2007.

20070110_1_bg.jpg20070110_2_bg.jpg

Book 6: Inferno by Troy Denning (September 2007, Paperback)

Book 7: Fury by Aaron Allston (November 2007, Paperback)

Book 8: by Karen Traviss (March 2008, Paperback)

Book 9: by Troy Denning (June 2008, Hardcover)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Plus the fact that this quote

Meanwhile Luke and Mara Skywalker fear for their son, Ben Skywalker, when his Jedi Master, Jacen Solo, makes a dangerous choice. This choice shocks both families and the galaxy.

Yep god im looking forward to this series.

Oh and this!

Now the specter of full-scale war looms between a growing cadre of defiant planets and the Galactic Alliance that some fear is becoming a new Empire.

Could this be the empire mentioned in the new legacy comic series?

Fair enough. But the ROTS novel kind of makes that idea bunk.

lolz..the ROTJ Novel also makes Obi Wan Anakins Uncle :)

what does the ROTS novel say about force ghostage ?

These are obviously details that GL didnt put into the script/film/commentary, most likely because Stover has been given reign to "fill in the details as long they dont contradict what's in the script"... that's the problem with novelisations, especially ones written by another writer, theyre often taken as 'gospel' when they are in fact just as much EU/Imagination as any other novel.

mtfbwya

lolz..the ROTJ Novel also makes Obi Wan Anakins Uncle :)
And yet it is g-canon, and so is in the same realm of importance as the films. And we all know about Lucas and revisionist history. But hey, Tolkien did the same thing. :)

what does the ROTS novel say about force ghostage ?
Yoda: An infinite mystery is the Force. Much to learn, there still is.

Qui-Gon: And you will have time to learn it.

Yoda: Infinite knowledge...Infinite time does that require.

Qui-Gon: With my help, you can learn to join with the Force, yet retain conciousness. You can join your light to it forever. Perhaps, in time, even your physical self.

Yoda: Eternal life...

Qui-Gon: The ultimate goal of the Sith, yet they can never achieve it; it comes only by the release of the self, not the exaltation of self. It comes through compassion, not greed. Love is the answer to the darkness.

Yoda: Become one with the Force, yet influence still to have. A power greater than all, it is.

Qui-Gon: It cannot be granted; it can only be taught. It is yours to learn, if you wish it.

Yoda: Your apprentice, I greatfully become.

These are obviously details that GL didnt put into the script/film/commentary, most likely because Stover has been given reign to "fill in the details as long they dont contradict what's in the script"...
Stover has mentioned in several interviews that he was not given permission to add scenes to the story, and that he worked directly from the screenplay. He only had permission to alter some of the dialog, not the content or feeling of the scenes. He also has stated that he and Lucas when through the novel line-by-line to make sure it lined up with what he wanted. I don't have the script, but I have seen several sources stating that it contains more or less what Qui-Gon says above.

In any event, similar information about becoming one with the Force is available on starwars.com under Anakin's entry:

"Having saved his son's life, and reclaimed his soul from the dark side, Anakin died and became one with the Force. As he shed his corporeal form, he found the spectral forms of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda ready for his return. Through compassion and selflessness, Anakin discovered the secret knowledge of the Shaman of the Whills, a technique that allowed him to retain his identity in the netherworld of the Force."

Note that this is a part of the "Movies" entry, and not the EU entry...

that's the problem with novelisations, especially ones written by another writer, theyre often taken as 'gospel' when they are in fact just as much EU/Imagination as any other novel.
But they aren't as much author imagination as the rest of the EU. Each novel either comes directly from the mind or script of Lucas, whereas the rest of the EU does not. There are much tighter controls placed upon the authors who write them and I believe in each case (definitely with ROTS) Lucas makes the effort to go through each line-by-line to make sure it lines up with his vision. That is why the novels are g-canon and the EU isn't.

Most if not all of the rest of the EU does not go through this scrutiny, and is instead based on Lucas's guidelines (don't kill the Big 3, etc.) and the continuity and plotline checks done by Lucas Licensing.

....Anakin discovered the secret knowledge of the Shaman of the Whills, a technique that allowed him to retain his identity in the netherworld of the Force."

Nice. I like how the whills have finally been squeezed back in :) Now I can go kick all the people who insisted that yoda was a whill in the nads :D

Still, I dont see Lucas having the time back then to go through the novel with Stover line by line...If you said "someone from LFL Licensing" I would beleive it.... Do you have a quoteable/linkable source Primeski ??

mtfbwya

Still, I dont see Lucas having the time back then to go through the novel with Stover line by line...If you said "someone from LFL Licensing" I would beleive it.... Do you have a quoteable/linkable source Primeski ??
I can't remember where I originally saw it, but here is one mention of it. There are interviews around the Net where he mentions how closely he worked with Lucas.

Stover began writing the novel in the fall of 2003 and finished the following summer. Revisions were dictated both by the editing process, including a line-by-line review by Lucas, and by changes in the script itself.

Overall, it emphasises why the novelizations are a higher form of canon than the EU.

• 1 month later...

So the cover for the first book is out there

bloodlines6aw.jpg

So im guessing we can expect lots of mando goodness?

You wouldve thought that boba would get some new armor by now seeing as he is Mandalore?

but then maybe that isnt boba fett but just a random mando? seeing as boba is in his 70s by now.

Terros, Book I is "Betrayal" - see Fosh's first post. Im not really sure if its Jacen or Ben on the cover, most likely it's Jacen :)

20051114_bg.jpg

sw.com has updated their details on Betrayal, including brief outline stuff - minor spoilers only Linkage

lolz...maybe the Fetts age slowly...? Though the Kaminoans did say that Boba was an unaltered clone.. Im really not that big on the whole Mandalorian thing. There's been far too much about them in EU IMO. Their impact on the galaxy is minimal, compared to the jedi for example.

Ive liked how they are finally showing glimpses of Han's age in particular. He does most of his "action" in the pilots chair and occasionally even gets the shakes :p

mtfbwya

Terros, Book I is "Betrayal" - see Fosh's first post. Im not really sure if its Jacen or Ben on the cover, most likely it's Jacen :)

20051114_bg.jpg

sw.com has updated their details on Betrayal, including brief outline stuff - minor spoilers only Linkage

lolz...maybe the Fetts age slowly...? Though the Kaminoans did say that Boba was an unaltered clone.. Im really not that big on the whole Mandalorian thing. There's been far too much about them in EU IMO. Their impact on the galaxy is minimal, compared to the jedi for example.

Ive liked how they are finally showing glimpses of Han's age in particular. He does most of his "action" in the pilots chair and occasionally even gets the shakes :p

mtfbwya

Oops my mistake i dunno why i thought it was the first book when i've already seen the other one.

my mind mustve switched off with excitement lol who knows

I always hated the "people age differently in the GFFA" thing it bugged me but now the creators of the upcoming Legacy comic said they age no differently from here

I dunno it always seemed a way for lazy writers to add the big 3 as heros.

Archived