Home

[FIC] Star wars: Heart of the Guardian

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 7: Acceptance and Reinforcement

The next morning I didn’t say anything to anyone. Instead I kept my thoughts to myself as I ate my morning meal and proceeded to tell Revan about the Lord of the Tribes. I hoped that protocol wouldn’t be strictly followed for I sensed that what would occur would require urgency. I also thought about the second Jedi that had arrived. I had already concluded that it was not whom Revan had loved but someone else who had walked her same path. What disturbed me the most was that somehow the Judge would return to wreak havoc on our beautiful worlds. His companion had me perplexed and I resolved to ask Petronius.

I accompanied Revan to the Council of Lords since today was the day they were in session. Kapu followed at a pace behind, almost as if to leave me to my thoughts. We did not say much except to talk about the people here. At the meeting indaba we were instructed to wait outside for the council was under deliberation for the seasonal hunting grounds. I was not invited because I was not a lord though I would give help every now and then. More often I was called as a, for lack of a better term, a referee in disputes that usually involved boundaries and breaches in agreements.

While we were outdoors, Revan asked me how I knew where to look for her. I gave credit to Kapu by saying, “He showed me,” and pointed at him.

I could tell she thought it absurd but I guess she remembered that nothing happens by coincidence. She replied, “The Force guided you to him.”

“In a manner of speaking. Our people, mostly the tribes, believe that the animals are connected to everything; that they have specific powers and qualities about them. I grew up learning it but trained in the Jedi way so I am caught between two worlds,” and I smiled.

She thought about it when we were summoned by the Council of Lords. I went first, knowing the protocol of such addresses and I felt it necessary to act as a buffer so the council wouldn’t feel the need to question too hard. We stood in the middle of the chamber which vaguely reminded me of the High Jedi Council on Coruscant. The only difference was that there was a semblance of some chaos yet it was very proper and deliberate. I hardly felt the serenity that I felt when facing the masters. Lord Trystan, as the head of the council, spoke, “Who is this that has come here?”

Before I could speak, she spoke, “I am the Jedi Revan and I come from the Republic.”

“The Republic has not been heard from for four years. Why have you come, Jedi?”

“I came because my ship was damaged. I was seeking an ancient evil that I remembered setting free. I have spent these four years seeking it out and trying to fight it.”

“There is only one evil that has plagued us since time began. No one has set it free,” the lord of the Hamas tribe interjected.

Before it could get out of hand, I replied, “She does not know of our customs or struggles. She does not know of their power. She has come as a friend, in peace.”

“Judge that we will for these are dark times ahead,” Lord Trystan said.

I knew that he was keeping the proceedings that way but he was prepared to trust my judgments. The other lords were willing too but like always, protocol must be maintained. I merely nodded and Revan did the same.

We left the council to do what they do in session. I spent the day showing Revan the village of the Zherron tribe. She was most curious at the way how we lived, not really like that on Coruscant. Kapu stayed with us while we walked around the village. Looking back at it, I think she was happier than she had been when I first saw her. Just being around people again and someone who could use the Force seemed to relax her and made her more willing to talk about people she knew and what she did before coming here. I was more interested in what had happened since I had last been there.

We had rounded a bend near where the village calligrapher lived when we heard an alarm cry out. Since it was in my language, I had to translate for Revan. The Straif cats had attacked the village. Straif cats were huge predatory cats that were extremely territorial and extremely dangerous. Normally they hunted local wildlife but ever since the new queen took over the group, they have been attacking tribesmen and killing them for food. I realized that it was that time of year again and that was why the Council of Lords had convened. It was the presentation of the children.

I think Revan sensed my agitation and worry and asked if she could help. We didn’t have long to wait in finding them for they came charging through the village snapping at the fleeing women. The men grabbed their swords, spears and bows and went to drive them off. The cats had come to try to steal one of our children, the preferred treat of the queen. I noticed that only three of the group was bringing the men to fight. I motioned to Revan to follow me and I climbed the trees to the thick branches. From our view I pointed to the nursery where the rest of the group, except the queen, was gathered. I pondered at where she may have been, not forgetting that she was unusually clever. One of them was heading for the door while the others surrounded the hut.

A ways we could both see where a branch hung low enough to get onto the roof. Revan had the idea to get through the roof and relayed it by pointing it out to me. Catching her intention, I led the way through the trees as quietly as we could both muster. The huge brute that had approached the door was growling and trying to bash down the door. The wood was strong but not indefinitely so we hurried to get to the roof. I went first, carefully pushing the thatch aside to create a large enough opening to slip through. I dropped down to find at least twenty children huddled in the middle with their teacher keeping them clustered and telling them to keep quiet. She looked relieved that I had dropped in followed by Revan sticking her head down.

I explained in whispers that we would help them get out through the roof. The teacher handed me the smaller ones, which in turn I handed in turn to Revan. I then had the teacher get out so she could steady them on the branches. The pounding on the door was getting louder as I handed children up faster. I was down to the last one named Caelos when I heard the door crack. Quickly I grabbed Caelos and jumped with him onto the roof just as the door broke open. We were quiet as the cat came in growling, looking for something that was obviously gone. I had placed Caelos onto the branch and motioned him to keep going. It was going well until the branch we were both on snapped and broke, sending us to the ground.

The noise distracted the cats and they turned to the sound and found us on the ground. I had lost my saber as it had fallen a distance away. Caelos was crying and I could sense that he had broken his leg. I positioned myself in front of him and had my hands out, ready to fight with my bare hands. At that moment, Kapu jumped out and snarled at them. The cats growled back and lunged only to be stopped by Revan. She waved her yellow lightsaber in a swinging motion, prepared to strike. I had caught sight of my lightsaber and used the Force to summon it just as the cats lunged to attack.

It was difficult keeping the cats away as they had thick hides of fur and our lightsabers did nothing more than singe it. It wasn’t until I swung at the weak spot at the base of their neck that I decapitated one. Revan was swinging at the cats continuing to singe their fur until she placed a well-placed strike into the shoulder. The cats were becoming more enraged and began to screech. Since they were screeching, their attacks were harder. It was at that moment that I got hit by a huge paw and sent flying into the hut we had escaped from, making it collapsed.

I didn’t know what had happened after that but I was able to piece it together from Caelos and Revan. Revan and Kapu held off the cats quite effectively after I had been sent flying and wounded them to a point where they were whimpering with pain. Still determined to get her meal, she sent her wounded back to the forest and decided to take on Revan herself. From what I heard, Revan made the queen so angry that she grew careless in her attack allowing Revan to decapitate the queen. It was after that happened that I was able to emerge from the crushed hut a little stunned but very much alive.

After Revan decapitated the queen, the village began to erupt with cheers. Apparently, Eómeros, Lord Trystan’s eldest son had seen what Revan did and sounded the cheer. Revan, not understanding what it meant asked me, “What does it mean?”

I simply answered, “Well, you have just killed the queen of the group. They shouldn’t bother us no more.”

I walked to where Caelos was and went over his leg to determine the location of the break and to make sure he was all right. Aside from the broken leg and some scratches, he was alive and unharmed. Eómeros was cheering and saying that the Heart of the Guardian had brought the one who set us free. I couldn’t tell Revan exactly what it meant for I didn’t want to embarrass her.

Seeing Caelos to Petronius for some healing, Lord Trystan congratulated us but I directed the attention to Revan. I guess seeing that an outsider stopping to help one of their own softened the other lords as well. We were told to be at the meeting indaba within the hour to hear our testimony and pass judgment. I realized that they were going to be willing to listen to what Revan had to say.

An hour later we were standing in front of the Lord of Lords. Lord Trystan was speaking, “While we pride ourselves on acceptance, times have been troubled lately. In light of our recent arrival and latest attack we have come to see that our previous position has been wrong. Master Jedi, we extend our greatest thanks for your aid and welcome you as a sister of the Zherron tribe.”

I was surprised at the verdict. In all my years I had never heard of an outsider becoming one of the Avalonian people. Of course many years later it would happen again. Revan was the first but not the last to receive this honor. I watched with a slight smile as Lord Trystan placed a teardrop pendant containing an aqua blue stone, her lifestone, around her neck. Stepping back, Lord Trystan continued, “We are aware that there is a disturbance that could affect us all. Can you tell us what this is?”

“It is an ancient evil known as the True Sith. I am afraid that I caused this to happen when I fought in the Mandalorian wars. I came here to the Unknown Regions to fight this threat. I realize that the magnitude may be greater than I imagined,” Revan responded.

“How do you propose we handle this?”

I had long known of the tensions between the people of the cities and the tribes. It was one of those things that had been in existence since I was a boy, even older. I knew that the only way to survive this was to band together. I knew that the proposal of such an idea was radical in of itself. This was centuries of hatred and I was about to ask them to let go of it in a matter of hours. I decided to take the risk and I replied, “We band together with the cities. Only together can we have the strength to fight against this enemy.”

I did not mention the fact that I had the thought to send for the Republic as well. For some reason, other than the compelling dream, I had the distinct feeling that the Republic would play a part in this fight. I waited while I could literally hear a gasp coming from the Council of Lords. I could tell that they must have thought that I had gone crazy. Lord Trystan called order and looked at me strangely. Seeing that I was being serious, he responded, “What you propose is radical if not impossible. However, we will consider it and let you know in the morning.”

That was our cue to leave. Revan and I didn’t discuss what had happened until we were outside council chambers and heading to my home. Kapu followed a distance behind us stopping so often to sniff at foliage. I don’t remember all of our discussion except that I distinctly remembered that Revan said that I may have said the right thing during the session. I was thinking that the idea would fly and that representatives would be sent to beseech the Lord Governor of the system. I could sense it through the Force that this was first in a chain of events that could change the relationship between the people of this system and the relationship of this system with the Republic for years to come.

Trystan from the Ebon Hawk Crew is in it. A great Chapter. I think Revan doesn't understand about these traditions.

It takes time to learn a culture even within a country. When we moved from the North to the Deep South for a year a few years back, it took me several months just to adapt to all the 'please' and 'thank you's they said after absolutely everything--it's not done nearly as often in the North (and I wish it was, actually, so I continue that tradition here back in the North--I'd rather be overly polite than rude). I'm sure I was viewed as rude simply because I was not used to that part of the culture.

So, I wouldn't expect a stranger to understand the nuances of a culture, especially one as complex as the one JM12 has built, which I love, btw. All the little details are great.

Chapter 8: Delegation and Arrivals

The morning was pleasant and clear. I felt fine considering it was the first time in a while that I had a good night’s worth of sleep. It was a silent ride along the trail towards the capital city Tyan-yu, where the Lord Governor of the whole system lived. Revan was with me on one of the gentlest draigons I had selected since it would take the better part of a day to get to the city. Michaela stayed behind claiming that she had work to do with the children and check on Caelos. In actuality she went to a gathering of the Bushida Handmaidens though of course I was unaware of this at the time.

As we were riding towards the city, Revan asked me questions on the customs and mannerisms of the people of Avalon. I tried to tell her everything I knew about conduct and the like when involving diplomatic procedures and whatnot. I had finished explaining diplomacy here when Revan spoke, “The people of the village think very highly of you. They respect you and your judgment and it’s not because you are a Jedi. I think one of the women called you Kirabaros.”

I inwardly cringed at hearing the name given to me by the People. I was a bit annoyed that they had mentioned it in front of Revan. I wasn’t sure how to explain why they called me that and not by my given name. After all, how could I make someone understand that many of these people suffered through hatreds that did not equal to anything seen in the Republic except for the Mandalorian wars though I had no part in those events. I thought carefully how to speak and I responded to Revan, “That is true.”

“Why? Is it because you did something for them?”

“Yes and no.”

I guessed Revan could sense my reluctance and my awkwardness at answering. She broke the ice about it by saying, “I was once called a leader of my tribe. A Jawa called me that.”

I chuckled because I thought it funny. I had never met a real Jawa but I have seen holos of them and heard of them from Master Tergis from his younger days. I decided to be a bit more open, “Kirabaros was a name given to me because I exhibited the qualities of the folk hero when I helped the tribes form a peace.”

“That makes sense. You have a generosity that you are ashamed to admit to because you feel that it is prideful. I like that. It reminds me of him.”

The ‘him’ was the one she left behind. I didn’t want to press her. I had decided that when she was ready to tell me she would do so when she was ready. Instead she composed herself rather well and asked my about the city Tyan-yu.

I had been to the city a few times but never really interacted with the governor. I admitted, “It is beautiful. It has its good parts and its bad parts. The palace where the governor lives is one of the more grander buildings. Sometimes the people call it the Imperial city though I think that doesn’t seem befitting.”

“It makes it sound like it was the capital of an Empire. What does the name Tyan-yu mean?”

“It means ‘leftover spirit.’ It was because the city that existed before it was destroyed in one of the wars against a bitter enemy. Some of the buildings were left and they were used to rebuild the city, hence the leftover spirit.”

Revan looked surprised but she gave a small oh. It was a piece of naming language logic as it was with many of the names. The wars that occurred so long ago destroyed the former grandeur of the cities so many of them were named as leftovers of their former glory. It would take time but Revan would eventually come to understand my people. She would even settle here as well with the one she left behind but that’s getting ahead of myself. She began to finger the life pendant, which was an interesting shade of blue green. She asked me, “Why the pendant?”

“Well, those that belong to a tribe receive such a pendant at birth and they vary in color depending on what the loremaster sees in their future. The shape indicates what tribe. The Zherron tribe accepted you for your courage and selfless act of rescuing Caelos. The tribes never really expect outsiders to help. This is due to centuries of distrust.”

“What of yours?”

“Mine is well I don’t have one because well, it’s a complicated story.”

“Is it the fact that you are a Jedi?”

“Partially,” I didn’t say any more, so Revan stopped asking. How could I tell her that I didn’t have a pendant because when I was born, it was considered wrong to marry someone from the cities. My mother was of a farmer clan but she was a member of the warrior tribes. My father came from the cities. They weren’t accepted so they moved to Mikkado where they lived until they died. I found this out when I somehow found my old playmate Tundarai a few years ago. He told me the story after I had gotten snubbed deliberately by a tribesman for not wearing a pendant and I was called a traitor. Revan must have sensed my reluctance to share so she stopped and instead continued to ask about the city. They were questions I was relieved to answer.

Tyan-yu was like a welcoming beacon when we arrived in the late afternoon, early evening. It was too late in the day to bother the governor and it would never do to insist upon barging in. I made inquiry at the gates to the palace and the guard said that the governor would be willing to listen. This came as a shock considering that the hour was the tea hour and most people would want to not deal with matters of business. Revan was surprised herself considering that she saw my shock.

Our draigons were taken and put in the stables and we were led into the palace. We were left at a massive door that was a lush shade of red. We waited until a voice from beyond the door called to us, “Enter please.”

I led the way into the room. It turned out to be a chamber that resembled a study. There were books all over the place and a large desk covered with papers. I knew the governor had a reputation for being a scholarly type and that he didn’t look the part of a governor but this chamber didn’t verify a stuffy scholar. The governor was standing at the balcony. This one in particular looked over the vast gardens behind the palace. It was an interesting picture just looking at the governor looking out.

The Lord Governor Heros Lightrunner was probably my height but he looked like a small little man. It didn’t help that he was often seen hunched over a book but a closer look revealed that he possessed a calming quality that demanded attention. It was a quality that allowed him to stand up to the overly demanding members of the council when in session. He was a quiet man that preferred to examine things closely and would often come up with the strangest conclusions but they were truth. Many suspected that he was once a Jedi or at least was a Force Adept and we found exactly who was that day.

He had turned when we entered and watched us approach. His first words threw me off and I think it did Revan, “Hmm, I expected a delegation of tribesmen, not Jedi. I suppose you came to tell me something involving the fate of our worlds?”

“How did you know we were Jedi?” Revan asked while I was still trying to form words.

“Your stance, your walk and I can feel what you call the Force around you,” was the reply.

“Are, are you a Jedi?” Revan continued her line of questioning.

“Was and yet it never leaves you completely. Still I am surprised that Lord Trystan sent a pair of Jedi to discuss negotiations about uniting.”

Finally regaining my voice I said, “The logic being that it was my suggestion, Lord Governor.”

“I expected as much from Kirabaros. Still perhaps you or maybe your friend here can explain about the shadows that cloud our worlds?”

Ignoring the mentioning of Kirabaros I looked at Revan and nodded at her to speak. She began, “I have been following a great evil that I had been chasing for the last four years. It was something I did during the Mandalorian wars. I came back to fight it.”

Governor Heros looked at me as if to confirm her story. He didn’t say anything but instead crossed to his desk. He picked up a datapad and said, “This evil may have united with our centuries old enemy. Tell me, have you heard of the Rashikians?”

Revan shook her head but I answered, “Yes, they were once our people but they grew too greedy and desired to dominate. We drove them out and they have been waging war since to try and take over Avalon and her sister planets.”

“Yes but in the ten years, they have not bothered us. I think they were waiting for their chance to strike. Either that or it is something that has not been seen since the days of Kirabaros, your namesake,” Governor Heros pointed at me before continuing, “One thing for certain is that we need to unite on way or another with the tribes.”

“The problem is trying to put aside differences,” I voiced rather quietly. I was all too well aware that hatreds were hard to die. It took three years just for the tribes to start getting along but that didn’t mean there still wasn’t some distrust. The old feelings of apprehension and dread came into my mind of when I first started getting the tribes to talk together.

Revan seemed to sense my apprehension and spoke accordingly, “That may be a problem but if we come as Jedi, guardians of peace and justice, they would be willing to listen. The tribes seem to respect you a lot Jedi Credo maybe the same could be done with the congress here in the cities.”

“That may work,” Governor Heros replied, “However I must not put forth this motion or it will be seen as a motive on my part. Perhaps you young Jedi could convince the governors while Kirabaros brings the Council of Lords to consent. Lord Trystan could then come and present his case. I know this sounds too much time but this is the option I see right now.”

“I understand governor,” I responded, “but when we left, the Council of Lords wanted us to see if the city people would be willing to cooperate. They are willing right now and understand the threat that is coming.”

“Yes,” the governor murmured. I suspected that he was thinking of something. He pondered over what I had said in his mind for quite some time. It was so quiet that a pin could drop and you could hear it clink on the floor. Finally he spoke, “Then we must come to a conclave at the Four Points.”

“What is that?” Revan asked.

“Conclave is something that hasn’t occurred in over a millennia. It is where all the rulers get together in the sacred place of our forebears to decide our fate. The Lord Governor and the Lord of Lords preside and keep order,” I responded. Master Tergis had me learn everything about my people. I began to suspect that he might have seen what the future held for me when he first met me as a little boy scared and frightened. Maybe it was the turn of events that would eventually lead Avalon and her sister planets to become part of the Republic.

I was thinking this when Governor Heros agreed to hold conclave. I would go to Lord Trystan and deliver the message. I was getting ready to go when one of the guards burst in saying in rapid Avalonian that he and several others had captured a strange sentient trying to steal a speeder or a ship. Revan was confused since she didn’t know a word of the language but followed my lead as I followed the governor down to the main audience chamber where a human man was struggling against two armed guards, Bushido guards, the best there was.

With a buckling of his body he made a move that sent the two guards flying and withdrew a lightsaber. I noticed that Revan had recognized him and made a move to go to him but I held her back with a motion of my hand. I walked up to the sentient and asked him to put away his lightsaber saying that it was a misunderstanding. He must have been distrustful and held up his blade. I think he may have noticed mine and wasn’t sure as how to react. I just kept my gaze steady and looked at him and didn’t move. It may have seemed like moments until he finally put away his lightsaber and said, “I am looking for Revan if she is here. I came here to help her fight this war that is coming.”

Revan couldn’t contain herself at the sight of an old friend and said, “Darius? I thought you were dead or in exile.”

The exchange that happened revealed that Darius was the Exile that had followed Revan’s path after reestablishing his connection to the Force. I realized that this human was the one in my dreams. It seemed that the more people we met, I met, the more I saw of the war that was to come. I kept this to myself as the misunderstandings were cleared up. My only concern was that this was something that was going to get extremely unpleasant and a matter of life and death.

Names for the PC: whatever rocks your boat. Mine are not very original. One time I used Rowan Darklighter and another I did Adrianne Solo. So you can see how original I am :lol:

I am glad you liked the chapter. It was actually much longer than my other ones. A new one on Broken Wounds is up too.

Chapter 9: Conclave

It wasn’t difficult to assemble the leaders for conclave. In fact most of the people seemed to know that it was going to happen before it was announced. I attributed it to the strange osmosis that occurs; it was like news went where no signals went to such as the remote pockets of land. I vaguely remembered Zoran once telling me that if the People concentrated hard enough, they could cause what they were thinking to happen. I of course kept these thoughts to myself as I was sure that both parties were well aware of this phenomenon. I was more concerned for Naomi since she is the first woman to attend conclave.

I was also thinking of the events that transpired to the point where I met the Exile Darius. I knew better than to think that it was anything but the Force at work. I had been under the instruction of Tergis and Cronus and the masters at Coruscant to know that nothing could compare with the mystery of the Force. I do admit that I was shocked when I learned from Darius that the masters I had known were all gone. The fact I couldn’t sense it through the Force made me feel ashamed. I was especially sad to hear that Masters Kavar and Vash were dead. They made me feel more welcome when I came to Coruscant. Vrook, I felt guilty that I had no sympathy. He had always irked me in my form, my technique, that I was too headstrong, the usual things he seemed to say with all the padawans.

I was a willing guide to acquaint Darius with the Zherron tribe since they were closer to the Four Points. Kapu stayed by me the entire time as if watching the Exile and Revan trying to discern what they were going to do. He also kept looking to the east as if something was supposed to come over the hills. I made a mental note of it and kept it at the back of my mind as I introduced Darius to Michaela. She used the grace she learned as the privileged daughter of the Durais family. We sat around the table waiting for the hour when Revan and I would go to conclave. Darius brought us up to date on the state of the Republic. I especially noticed it when Revan had a tear in her eye when Darius said that Carth Onasi was waiting for her.

Upon hearing that name, I vaguely remembered hearing of that pilot. There was no end to the stories on how he was one of the Republic’s best pilots and that he has seen quite a bit of combat. I also remembered that he lost his wife on Telos when former Admiral Saul Karath bombed the planet. I put two and two together and figured out that Revan and Carth must have met and fell in love. She remembered something terrible she had done and went on her own to try and stop it and she left him behind. Judging from the sentence, I guessed that Carth had never gave up hope on her return, as if he knew that she was still alive. I said nothing but pushed a cup of tea towards the both of them. Revan would later come to know that I had subtle ways of reassurance as well as Darius.

Kapu let out a howl to signify that the moon had risen high in the sky. It was something that all wolves did. Revan and I made ready to leave. I motioned for Darius to follow but he opted to stay with Michaela. I thought he deserved to be present but I guess he thought that some of the guards were a little sore at what he did to them earlier. I thought later that it was a good thing that he didn’t come but that comes much later and I am getting ahead of myself.

Conclave is considered one of the most sacred events surrounding the history of Avalon. It is said that when conclave occurs, no one can insult another person and that proper respect must be shown at all times, at least that’s how the historical documents put it. It was a monumental event because their had not been a formal conclave for the last thousand years. Sure meetings and councils occurred but conclave is different. It is the agreement of all and everyone agrees to uphold. What happens here in a way becomes law. It was a sight to see as Revan and I were going to be a part of it.

The Four Points was a natural wonder in of itself. The megaliths were arranged into four points each facing the four directions of the wind. Smaller stone slabs were set in between these megaliths to create a ring of stone. Within the ring were stone seats where the major leaders would be sitting. Outside were similar seats but in bench form for the advisors and special speakers who would be speaking. In the very center of all this was the fire pit that was being tended to by two of Lord Trystan’s warriors, one which was Eómeros. Revan and I moved to the benches outside the ring of megaliths. Kapu had come with us and had seated himself next to me in a spot where I could scratch his ears absentmindedly.

We didn’t have long to wait as the advisors of the five governors were filing in and taking their seats. Followed by them were the governors and Lord Trystan and Naomi. Naomi looked out of place being that she was the only woman at this conclave and I felt a little worried that she may be intimidated but I reminded myself that she was tougher than she looked. We all stood and waited until the leaders sat in their seats. As soon as the leaders sat, old Petronius came into the center and said in the archaic version of our language, “Now that we are here by the grace of the gods, we begin conclave.”

As he was saying this, I wondered how old Petronius really was. It is true that our people could live for millennia and not age as quickly. We can die like normal sentients with weapons and the like so we were not immortal or anything like that. I was thinking of asking Petronius about his linguistic skills when I noticed how alert Revan was looking as she watched the proceedings. I calmed her by telling her that the leaders would end up doing most of the talking.

For the first hour or so, each leader was introducing themselves. Each spoke in their own native dialect in order to announce the diversity of the people present. Kapu ended up stretching out and lying down. I remembered sitting there and starting to feel numb from sitting in the same spot. I actually felt more comfortable kneeling in a meditative position; I was not a sitting person. Sitting there I almost lost track of the time. It was Petronius’ voice that brought me out of my stupor with his announcing Governor Heros.

Even though he was a small man, he looked as if he were tall in the manner that he stood. He stood and approached near the center so as to be heard. He spoke in his firm and gentle voice, “Friends, I have called this conclave to discuss a threat that could affect us all as members of this system. This threat stems from an ancient evil and from an enemy that has waged war against us for millennia. I come to call and ask you fellow members of this council to unite against this threat.”

He was speaking in Avalonian, as was tradition of conclave. I ended up translating what he said to Revan so she could follow what was going on. When Governor Heros was finished with his request, Governor Galidran of Andorra stood up and asked, “Governor Heros, as much as we respect you for governing our system, I have to ask, do you have proof of this?”

“I have here two Jedi,” and Governor Hero motioned to us. That was our cue to stand and I made a small motion to Revan who stood up with me. Governor Heros continued, “One is Kirabaros and with him is a Jedi from the Republic who has been chasing this threat, following it to try to end it.”

Governor Galidran responded, “I trust you judgment when it concerns Kirabaros but who is this Jedi that is a stranger amongst us?”

“She is the adopted sister of the Zherron tribe,” Lord Trystan responded without standing. He just continued to sit almost with a bored expression. He was never one for pomp and circumstance but he valued tradition and custom and did his best to uphold them. Everyone was silent as if waiting for him to continue. When he didn’t, Governor Galidran continued, “And what does this sister of the Zherron tribe know of this evil.”

I was getting angry and it showed because I couldn’t translate at the moment. I knew that Galidran was a tough nut to crack. He reminded me a lot of Master Vrook for he was never satisfied with anything and was always criticizing actions one way or another. I remember when I went to Andorra to speak to him about potential trade arrangements with the Avalon tribes. He criticized my attire and said something along the lines that I never thought of the big picture, that I rushed into things without thinking of the consequences. Needless to say I was never anxious to be in a conversation with him after that.

I almost lost the gist of the conversation when Naomi broke in with her gentle voice, “The Jedi are honorable. If they have something to say to us then let them say it and then we can decide what to do.”

“Then let them speak,” Heros replied.

The others nodded and Galidran sat down still looking like the sour grape he was. I gave a slight tug on Revan’s robe sleeve and we both stood up. I could tell that Revan was nervous so I led the way to the center of the circle. Once there I introduced Revan and myself and allowed Revan to speak. I knew that she didn’t speak our language but I was confident that she could tell everything that needed to be said. To be honest, I was impressed with her linguistic abilities. She went into a detailed description of her journey here in the Unknown Regions chasing an unknown evil, which she revealed to be the True Sith. She told of herself and what she did during the Mandalorian wars and the Jedi Civil War. I noticed that she left out certain things that were sensitive and private, like her relationship to Carth. She later told me that she felt as if the council was looking right through her and watching her as if she would do something. She even told of meeting with the Rashikians once, something she hadn’t spoken of before.

When she finished, we stood there and waited. We must have waited for at least fifteen minutes until Naomi asked, “And what do you suggest we do?”

I answered in the same manner as I did in front of the Council of Lords, “Stand together and if necessary, appeal to the Republic. What happens here could affect the whole galaxy.”

“Absurd,” Galidran responded, “the tribes and the cities have been at war for centuries. There is no way they could change their feelings in a short amount of time.”

“And what of the Republic,” Governor Druga of Aztlan cut in, “they have not been around ever since the Great Divide. Why should we ask them for aid when they have never offered?”

“My lords,” I tried to calm everyone, “we are being threatened as a whole. No one tribe is being threatened but all of us. From what Jedi Revan has told us it threatens the galaxy as a whole. There is more at stake than petty feuds.”

“And I suppose you are the ones who want to lead us?” Druga asked, raising his voice.

“Unless you want to and lead us into disaster,” Galidran started to shout.

In an instant, everyone was shouting trying to be heard over the other. Each of the delegate’s advisors were standing and trying to shout their opinions. It was a kerfuffle and I saw that it was going to go downhill. I saw Petronius trying to keep order in concordance of conclave. It seemed as if bad tensions would leave with this meeting until the noise was broken by a single voice that seemed to overshadow the others, “Stop the fighting!”

Everyone turned to see where it had come from. Two dozen pairs of eyes, including mine, looked at the one person who had spoken, Revan. She repeated, “Stop this fighting. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves. We are supposed to be here to come up with a plan to meet this threat…”

“A threat that you brought here,” Druga sated.

“No a threat that has lived in this region of space as long as you claimed it,” she retorted, “You complain of each other’s differences when you should be putting them aside. You are the chosen leaders of your groups. You were chosen because you are believed to be wise enough to communicate with each other effectively and peaceably. Why can’t you stop this bickering? It is pointless!”

I noticed that the delegates had become silent. I myself was rather taken aback by the silence. It was broken when Druga spoke, “You are right. I am ashamed that I let my pettiness take the better of me. As governor of Aztlan, I pledge my duty and available troops to the aid of our system Avalon and if necessary, to the Republic.”

One by one the other governors and Naomi agreed. Heros asked then in the traditional manner if all agreed to unite. When they said yes, Petronius spoke again, “By order of this conclave, we as people of the Avalonian system pledge to each other our lives and honor. So let it be written, so let it be done.”

Conclave had been concluded just as the morning star began to rise above the hills. The sight was beautiful but I was expressing my amazement at Revan’s boldness. We were discussing how it was she who got everyone to agree and walking back to the village and Kapu was following us from behind. All of a sudden a large explosion sounded near by sending the soil flying. Everyone was starting to scream and run as more explosions were ripping through the sky. I looked up and could make out a single ship firing at the surface of Avalon. I remember pushing Revan to run towards the village so as to get to safety when a large explosion sounded near us, powerful enough to send us flying. The last thing I remember was seeing black.

Thank you. Pottsie I didn't mention Zez Kai-Ell because well you'll see :D

Currently I am working on a chapter that will require me to do a bit of explaining and well, you'll find out. Sith at Peace thank you for your comments. A lot of this culture I have had to act out to myself and play certain characters so I can get a feel. A plus was that I read up on certain modern cultures for ideas. So you guys can see I am very eccentric. Stay tuned for another chapter soon ;)

Chapter 10: Mobilization

I was told I was out for two days and within two weeks the Rashikians had taken over the western provinces, killing all who resisted and claiming that their leader was coming. I remember waking up in the hospital to find my wife gazing at me with a concerned look in her eyes. My head felt like someone had sat on it and my body felt that it had been through a trash compactor. My concern was for Michaela and the People. I tried to ask but was told to rest because I had received a nasty smack to the head. Seeing that I wasn’t going to get any answers, I was going to resort to other means of getting information. I sent for Revan.

Revan appeared looking primed for battle but rather tired. I asked for the status on the People. When she revealed that the western provinces were taken and the other planets were under siege, I nearly got out of bed only to be met by sharp blows of pain. I was actually lucky to suffer some bruises and abrasions, not to mention a bump on the head, but I was annoyed that it was enough for me to gasp in pain. Controlling my pain and using the Jedi healing techniques, I managed to subdue the pain to a dull to be able to sit up at the edge. I asked, “Anyone else been hit?”

“When they attacked, they killed some of the advisors to the delegates. Some of the tribal lords were killed and Eómeros went missing after the explosion. Lord Trystan has been looking for him but no trace of him has been found. Jacen, what are we going to do?”

I could tell that she was scared. I guessed she thought that this was her fault some how but I wasn’t going to let her feel that way. I also started feeling her emotions as if I were her, emotions that were not my own. I brushed this aside as I replied, “We will uphold what was made law at conclave. We will fight this enemy.” I looked at her and said, “This is my home and I must defend it.”

“You sound like I did when I went to fight the Mandalorian wars,” Revan interrupted sadly and I felt it. The pain and the sorrow entered and a sharp coldness went down my spine. It must have looked like I was in pain when I doubled over a bit but I said I was fine. Looking at her I could see right away that she was afraid that she might become what she once was.

Realizing this I tried to be gentler on my reasoning, “You are right. I just realized something though. I saw it when I saw them fire upon us. The same thing that caused the Mandalorians to wage war is doing the same thing here but something else is backing it.”

I began to explain about how I saw the shadow in my dreams. I explained my thoughts to her and she listened. I could tell that she was debating on whether or not to wage war again. As she was sitting there deciding I realized that something needed to be done in order not only to help my people but the Republic as the Exile had done before joining us here. Gently and firmly I added, “And it is time to rebuild the Jedi here.”

Revan left with that statement in her mind and I was left to spend a painless night asleep but dreaming once again the dream that had been haunting me ever since Revan arrived.

Two days later I was allowed to leave the medbay where I had been taken but I wasn’t feeling myself. There were times that I would feel emotions that were not my own and they often came at the strangest of times. I was annoyed but kept it hidden. I had a job to do and Revan and Darius agreed to help me. I set out to find them in the camp that the Zherron had set up a ground staging area in the grassy knoll outside Tyan-yu. There was talk of a battle but the time in the medbay gave me time to think that this was a precursor to something big. Revan was right, this was something that would be the biggest showdown of light versus dark and yet it involved something that was never finished on Mikkado. That I was sure of.

I found Revan, Darius and Michaela talking with Lord Trystan in the largest of the tents. They were discussing on tactics to reinforce along the river closest to the Taitai tribe south of the city. Revan was saying that the weakest point was the bend but it was better to reinforce the whole river. Michaela agreed with her which surprised me since she was never one to fight. I think the attack made her realize what was at stake. I entered the tent quietly but she noticed me. She stood up and hugged me deeply which I returned with equal affection. She brushed my two stray locks and stroked my hair and looked at my face. She said in a sad and joking voice, “That scar above your left eye looks good. You’re still my J.C.,” and she smiled.

“It is good to see you Jacen,” Revan said.

“I agree. You gave everyone a scare when you got that nasty bump on the head,” Darius added.

“I admit that I still have a headache from the bump but I’m all the better for it,” I replied. I didn’t say anything about the plethora of emotions that were not my own that were invading my mind on occasion. Later my not telling anyone would have profound effects on the ones I loved and the ones I called proudly my friends. Feeling uncomfortable going on I asked, “About the river defense, how many do we have ready?”

Taking my cue, Lord Trystan replied, “It’s not the number, it’s the mobilization. The armies are in disarray as to whom to obey. The other governors have returned to their planets to mobilize their fleets and armies but they are clueless as how to mobilize.”

“Simple,” I replied.

I think Revan and Darius knew what I was going to say but both couldn’t help but ask, “How?”

“We call up the Jedi. The Bushida warriors,” was my answer.

“What Jedi? They all left at the end of the last war on Mikkado,” Trystan replied.

“I thought about it while I was in the medbay. They are the only ones with sufficient numbers to lead the troops. They are not considered Jedi by the Republic but they have the training of the Jedi,” I replied.

Trystan let out an ‘oh’ sound. He knew what I was talking about. The Bushida were the warrior equivalent of the Jedi Weaponsmasters but they were well rounded in their skills. Considered the best, they used to guard the system itself but with the distrust of the Jedi and what not, they isolated themselves except for the few that personally guarded the governors at their palaces. I had no idea how many of them were there but it was a helluva lot more than the Jedi of the order in the Republic. It had been that way for over a thousand years. The academy here on Avalon was high in the mountain passes, difficult to get there by ship. In fact damn near impossible. I was thinking about this and almost didn’t hear what Trystan said, “The journey is long and dangerous. Would they be willing to help?”

“They will not ignore the call. It is a matter of honor…Bushida,” I ended in a whisper. I was getting tired having just having gotten out of the medbay but I knew that in order to lead the troops we needed the ones that were trained this way. I didn’t think myself was worthy to lead an army and I said this in my subtle way, “Besides I don’t think they would refuse to hear any reasons to join if they were presented by warriors like Revan and Darius.”

The stunned silence was unnerving for a padawan but I maintained my serious look. I think they were surprised that I didn’t mention myself in the delegation that could go to the head academy. The fact of the matter is that I don’t consider myself worthy. Sitting in front of me were two people that saved the Republic and the galaxy and what have I done? Just mostly forced disagreeing parties together and let them decide. I guess I thought of myself as a nobody or something. Later Revan would tell me that it was a noble quality but a weakness that the Rashikians would be willing to exploit. More likely it stemmed from my childhood years at boarding school about how ugly the kids used to make me feel. I didn’t say anything except, “Will you think about it?”

I felt stupid but I sensed that I needed to leave. Their emotions were starting to bug me and were hurting my head. I stood outside the tent and breathed in the night air. All of a sudden a new wave of emotions hit my senses. I turned to my left and saw a small group, a family huddled around a fire. The emotions were so deep I felt as if I were one of them, refugees. I just stood looking at them for a few moments and one of them caught my eye, a teenaged boy. My eyes opened when I recognized who it was, little Caelos!

I went to their fire. He greeted me with a hug which surprised me. I wasn’t used to having children hug me and it always caught me off guard. In two weeks he matured from the little boy that Revan rescued. He had the makings of a great man and a Jedi. I wondered why the Bushida had not identified him yet. It occurred to me that there were probably many that they hadn’t identified. I tucked these thoughts to myself as I listened to Caelos’ tale of how his family had been run out of their vacation home by the Rashikians in the west and the murder of his father. I listened. I didn’t realize that he had sat next to me and leaned against me. My heart opened to him. I remember thinking that he was just a kid thrust into manhood by war. It made me realize that if I ever had any children, I would want them to grow up in a world without war. In a way, it gave me a purpose besides defending my home. I also felt out of place because I couldn’t distinguish which were my own feelings and which were his own.

I stayed there the entire night. It did nothing for my head which was still reeling from the emotions. The morning was beautiful. I had never seen anything like it before. There was an array of colors that encircled the camp that mixed in with the sun and morning mist. Michaela found me wandering the fields just looking at the pretty colors. When she touched my shoulders I said, “Look at it. The colors are amazing though I don’t know why there are dark shadows over there.”

She looked at me as if something were wrong. She responded, “Lord Trystan wants to see you and Revan and Darius.”

I was wondering why she looked at me that way but I followed her to the main tent or rather to the outside where Trystan had gathered the tribal leaders that were there and the Lord Governor. He was speaking to the People in their language and they were listening. When he saw me approach, he broke back into Basic announcing, “And here are the ones who will lead the group to summon the warriors that live in our mighty mountains: Kirabaros and Jedi Revan and Darius!”

I raised my left brow and it was noticeable because of my scar. I was magnanimous about it and just waved my hand in acknowledgement. The People were cheering and I could feel the collective cheer. It was like an electric shock that ran down my spine as I listened to the cheers. When it died down the People took their time to disperse. I watched a bit and then distracted myself by looking at the colors again. Trystan tugged at my arm and directed me away to talk. When we were a safe distance away he spoke straight to the point, “Kirabaros, your comments disturbed me. Not about the idea of seeking our lost brothers but what you implied of yourself. You of all people have done much for our people, your people.”

“What have I done to deserve anything? The last daring thing I did was teach an illegal school…”

“That sparked the movement for freedom and equality, the like which hadn’t been seen in years. Don’t sell yourself short. You have a path that differs from your fellow Jedi. I can see it even though I do not understand your Force.”

I couldn’t think of anything to say in response to that. Lord Trystan was not one to navel gaze as Petronius once called it yet it touched me. For years I held everyone at an arm’s length away except for my wife. It was then it hit me; I would be leaving her behind for the first time since we were married. Lord Trystan nodded as if he knew what I was thinking. I left to find her. She was with Nayana and Naomi at the small fork cleaning out the laundry. I approached and respectfully greeted Nayana and Naomi who nodded while saying, “Michaela was right. The scar suits you. Makes you more manly than the pretty boy you were two weeks ago.”

Michaela was smiling and blushing. She asked, “Why are you here and not preparing for tomorrow? I need time to get your pack ready.”

Making a slight cough but Nayana and Naomi ignored it. I was slightly annoyed but I didn’t have the backbone to back it up. I instead replied, “Well, I was wondering if you would like to spend the day with me?”

I caught a whiff of sadness from her and realized I made the mistake of reminding her that I was leaving her. She passed it off rather quickly by saying, “Not today I have work but tonight is fine.”

Apparently that was all the answer I would get. Before I knew it, I delved deep into her emotions. I felt her love, and something else that was buried. I couldn’t put my finger on it because she started burying it deep and began to shut me out. I was broken out of it when Revan came over the hill with Darius calling to me to make final plans. I looked at Michaela who looked at me with a smile and sent me on my way. I did not see the look of concern on her face nor the looks of concern on the faces of the others.

That day ended in tiredness but I was determined to be with my wife. When I entered the tent that was ours she was already sleeping on the pallet we shared, or at least I thought that she was. I sat next to her and began to stroke her cheek. She responded by turning over and looking at me. Seeing my look of affection, she smiled. I leaned forward and kissed her on her lips. She reached with her free hand and caressed my hair and kissed me back. That night, well…let’s just say that we reestablished our love for each other

Chapter 11: The Long Journey

There were no huge farewells the next morning as the three of us had left early. Three draigons were somehow located in all the chaos, including my especial pet Lagos whom I raised myself and they were loaded with our packs for things we would need to get through the passes. I admit I was oblivious to everything except Michaela as she gave me a goodbye kiss that I think was daring for her modest self; right full on the lips. She held my head for quite a bit until I almost fell of my draigon. I was becoming increasingly aware of a pang of guilt that was not my own. It was a very feminine guilt and it disturbed me. I broke the kiss and whispered, “I’ll be careful.”

She whispered, “Don’t get any more scars. The one you have is manly enough,” and she stroked my cheek before backing away. She mouthed, ‘I love you.’

I smiled and chirruped for Lagos to get moving. Revan and Darius followed silently behind. Not a word was spoken as the three of us, and Kapu, headed for the Shin-tao Mountains, the entrance to the mountain road that would take us to the academy. The feminine guilt was being mingled with some masculine guilt as we went along and it was beginning to annoy me. I didn’t know what was happening to me and I was too stubborn to seek help from Petronius, who miraculously survived the initial bombardment with his home in tact. Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought the bump to my head had something to do with it. My thoughts were interrupted when Darius sent through the Force that we were being followed.

Revan confirmed it with her own feelings. I responded out loud and said, “Over there. There’s a red weaver, the most melodious of the birds. Funny thing is that they are sharp hunters but primarily scavengers. If you follow it, you usually find a kill that they can scent for up to miles.”

They took the hint and maneuvered their draigons to find the someone or something following us. I stopped Lagos by the Hamas Ford and dismounted. I went by the Judan tree and took a look around. I heard the snap and hid behind some bushes. I removed my lightsaber and waited until my quarry was in my sights. I took a jump and tackled the figure, my lightsaber falling to the ground. We tussled as Revan and Darius came up panting. I managed to pull the hood back to reveal the head of Caelos?

“I followed you because I wanted to help,” Caelos said.

I stood up and helped him up. I was going to say no and that it was too dangerous but Revan got there first. “Why do you want to help?” she asked.

“I want to take back what belongs to my family and defend my home,” he said trying to nurse a cut that he had received on his forearm when I tackled him.

“Do you realize that where we are going is dangerous?” Revan continued.

“Or that your family may be missing you,” Darius added.

I didn’t say anything. Rather I was snapped down memory lane by Caelos’ emotions. It reminded me of something I had forgotten. The will to help, the need to help, it was driving me mad in my mind. I was struggling to differentiate between my feelings and his. Damn the emotional charge of the young! I think Revan must have sensed it or she saw me give a faraway look like I wasn’t listening for she somehow brought me back by asking, “Jacen, what do you think?”

I didn’t reveal my confusion and instead concentrated on Caelos trying to ignore his emotions and being firm, “Caelos, you should be at home.”

“I want to go with you Kirabaros. I want to help. Besides, my family moved in with my father’s family and I had to leave. The eldest boy clause.”

I knew that was a cover up. I knew that Caelos was close to his father but his father’s family wasn’t. I sensed it had to do with Caelos’ abilities. Revan and Darius were quiet as I turned to look at the mountains. I knew that even though Caelos was considered a man by tribal standards, war was not a time to be on your own. I knew I was going to be questioned later but I thought to hell with it. I turned towards Caelos and said, “Where we are going is a long journey and it is dangerous. If you come, will you listen to us and whatever we tell you?”

“Yes,” Caelos nodded. I think he was scared that I stared at him in that manner but I was being dead serious. Revan and Darius were sending waves of disapproval but I could sense amusement behind Revan, more like a memory. For an instant, a young girl, a blue Twi’lek flashed through my mind and she was being defiant in some way but it was funny. I barely could suppress a grin but managed to keep my stern look. I motioned for everyone to follow me and we headed towards our draigons. I mounted Lagos and reached down and pulled Caelos behind me. I looked at Revan and Darius and said, “You wouldn’t understand,” and gave Lagos the go to run and we headed up the trail.

The shadows were dancing like the devils from the fall festival held on the third night of the last lunar month. My eyes kept scanning the pass for any signs of bandits or rogue warriors that killed for pleasure. Caelos had fallen asleep, his head resting on my back, his breaths steadily and constantly keeping my back warm. Ever since we picked up Caelos, Revan and Darius hadn’t really spoken to me. I think they questioned my judgment or something. It didn’t occur to me that they had both noticed my spacing out and my constant insistence on seeing colors of every kind.

Darius broke the silence by asking, “Why do you insist that you are nothing special?”

It caught me off guard so I answered rather lamely, “Well…I do nothing worth all the attention.”

“Blast it! I heard what the tribes say about you. I learned from a Petronius that you are always the first to stave off disaster and your wife told me how you defied the laws of Mikkado to give the tribes an equal opportunity,” Darius responded. I could see where this was going; at least I thought I did. He continued, “What you did and what you are doing is for the benefit of your people. You are trying to unite peoples that have fought against each other for centuries under one banner. Who was it that suggested we even look for these special Jedi?”

I said nothing. I was actually dumbfounded by what he was saying. True I believed in justice and peace. Tergis taught me the Jedi Code first thing when he took me in. Then again how could I bare my soul about the events that led me to my way of thinking? Darius was still talking, “Against our judgment, you took in Caelos. You give of yourself as if you were candy. These warriors that you speak of in me, I never met him or rather I left that part of me behind. I had no choice but to take it up again when I returned to the Republic. To this day, my choices haunt me.”

“They haunt me too even though I don’t remember all of them,” Revan said softly. For some damn reason, her emotions kept invading my thoughts. It was almost as if we could share similar thoughts or rather emotions. Later this would save me in my greatest challenge during this war. I didn’t dwell on it for long and decided that this was better a time than any to tell about me. I began slowly, “You are more than I could be because you fought for what you believed in. I never really did that. It was the People that fought for what they wanted, equality.”

I held up my hand to stop Darius from talking. I had to say it now, “I don’t consider myself something because I was never told I was.”

“How can that be?” Revan asked softly. For some reason she was interested and I was curious as to why.

I responded, “I was orphaned at seven but before that, I…well…was the unwanted member in school.” I started to find it easier to talk because they were listening. They wanted to know why. I continued, “I was in a boarding school that was ran by the Argonons, the ones who oppressed the tribes. I was not one of them and they hated me. The boys subjected me to tortures that were childish now but painful emotionally and physically…” and my voice dropped. Lagos stopped to get water from the spring. The others followed. It was obvious that I wasn’t going to talk anymore.

I could feel Caelos stir but it was only to adjust himself to continue sleeping. I couldn’t blame him. He must have been following us for hours before we found him. After Lagos was satisfied, we continued on. I was anxious to reach the Tonshau Gate, the halfway point to the academy. Kapu looked tired but was stubborn, or loyal, I couldn’t decide which. He followed behind the three of us to keep a sharp eye. It was quiet; at least I thought it was. I was too busy listening to the surroundings for I had picked up a strange presence that was not friendly and yet felt familiar.

Camp was not much talkative either. Revan and Darius spent their time talking about times they shared. Caelos was sleeping near the fire. I had wandered to the lookout and sat there looking at the sky. Even though we were in the mountains, the stars were bright. I gazed at them remembering what Tergis told me about the stars being a beacon. It may not always be clear but it was there. I continued to sit there and gaze at the stars. All of a sudden, I was somewhere else…

The plains of Dantooine were grassy and peaceful. The Jedi enclave was a gentle edifice against an even gentler setting. I could see Jedi walking along the paths heading in for the night. I caught a glimpse of a couple by the bridge that ran across the river. I edged closer to take a look. I saw a man in a rather odd orange jacket standing next to a familiar shape. I just stood there and watched. I had a rather stupid grin or a smile on my face.

The scene changed back to my old nightmares but it was again different. The township was again on fire but Revan, Darius, Michaela and dozens of others that I had not met were staring at me. Then entered a hooded figure and next to him was, who was it? The next thing I knew, I was seeing carnage and blood and fire. All were dead. All were dead…

I woke up with a start to a gentle hand touching me. I looked up and stared into the dark brown eyes of Revan. Her long hair in a single braid fell over her shoulder and she had a look of concern on her face. The fire had long since gone out leaving the scene in darkness. I couldn’t get past the fact that it was she who came. I raised myself up from where I had fallen asleep and sat up. I asked, “What are you doing?”

“You were thrashing in your sleep. I thought I could help. I used to have these things. I still do,” was her reply.

That not being the answer that I wanted and being slightly cranky I repeated myself, “That’s not what I meant. What are you doing here? Why did you come here?”

I instantly regretted what I said for I felt sadness, a separation. It was getting on my last nerve and I started shouting, “Stop it will you! I feel the same way but do you have to make your point?!”

It was then I received a sharp pain to my shoulder and I fell over and off the rock. I landed with a hard thud on the ground. Twelve shadows came out brandishing their deadly swords. I grabbed my lightsaber and switched it on, its brilliant orange blazing in the night. Darius and Revan drew theirs showing a silver and yellow. I turned on the second blade to reveal my saber staff. I ignored my own pain and Force Jumped to get to Caelos who was scared. I grabbed him and flung him up onto a ledge. I narrowly missed the thrust one of the thugs had on me and his blade raked my ribs drawing blood.

Revan and Darius had paired up to watch each other’s back, a smart thing considering that these guys were not your average warrior. I caught a whiff of the language as one of them taunted me. It was the cursed branch of Avalonian, one only uttered by the foolish and those that followed the way of the darkness. I shouted that they were Rashikians and to watch it.

It seemed forever until we managed to drive them off. Kapu had managed to pummel a few with his spring attacks. At one point I was hit on my sore shoulder and I fell bringing my saber up to block the strike. The Rashikian struggled to bring my blade down to my throat and cursed at me in his language. I was getting angry and with a huge surge of the Force I sent them all flying. It was enough for they didn’t attack again and left us alone. I rolled onto my side and tried to staunch the bleeding on my side. I called out, “Everyone all right?”

Hearing confirmation of everyone, I stood up slowly grabbing my side. I tried to hold in the pain. The next thing I knew I was hearing a voice through the Force, Don’t hide it. Let me help you. In the darkness, I felt a small and slender hand on my side. I felt the effects of Force Healing. Aloud Revan said, “That should be enough to stop the bleeding but I’d be careful if I were you.”

I was sore but I nodded gratefully. Caelos crawled down from his ledge saying nothing. I think he realized what he was getting into and didn’t want to hear an ‘I told you so’ lecture. There was nothing really to be done for my robes so I left them alone. We decided to keep moving so we loaded up our draigons and took off. I wasn’t anxious to get going but I wanted to make sure that Caelos was safe and I sucked in my pain throughout the ride.

The nighttime journey was uneventful as the Rashikians didn’t show up. I thought it could be that we were getting closer to the academy. There was no time to dwell on it for the pain in my side was intense I felt like falling off. Revan had done enough so I wouldn’t go through shock but the pain and the soreness in my shoulder was still there and it was killing me, or was it her? I couldn’t tell for emotions were starting to run wild again as a fog came across us. Day was coming and the morning mist was coming in swirling around. Caelos must have been amusing himself by making it swirl around in circles. I didn’t notice as I was trying to control the torrent of emotions. It cleared as we crossed a bridge to reveal a temple like structure. We had arrived.

Now that I've caught up on all my other projects, I've been able to catch up here, too. You've been busy! :)

As always, enjoyable reading. I love seeing all the little cultural details in addition to all the big ones.

The only thing I found distracting was when you dropped into more informal/slang speech, like 'these guys' instead of 'these men' or 'these people'. That's just because I view Jacen as a more formal kind of man, but ymmv.

I found the Conclave details interesting and can certainly feel Jacen's reticence at accepting his role in his world. Seeing him work through the insecurity is fascinating.

Archived