Home

FIX for anti-aliasing problems with Nvidia cards

Thrik

This was was based on a GeForce 6600 GT, so in theory it should. However, as I said above the newer drivers themselves may have removed the anti-aliasing option you need, so you could potentially need to couple your older card with older drivers.

Do test it and let us know if the newer drivers do still give you the option to use the setting in my guide above, though. Whether its the newer cards or the drivers that cause the option to not appear is an unknown right now. :)

• 2 months later...

And maybe try to find an older copy of RivaTurner on line somewhere, i am going to look now just to have it in case. I have a FX 7600 but i have not played GF since my previous card which was a 6600GT :) so i may be in the dog house with Manny already and not know it. Hope someone keeps working on this.

• 1 month later...

I got a lot of other problems though, like the sound dissapears when I hit F1 so I can't save without losing the sound and having to restart the game, plus every now and then the sound goes into a loop and kinda locks up part of the visual game like textlines hanging in the air and other crap. I can still hit F1 and quit though.

I've set the compability of the game to windows 98 and installed the standard GF-patch but this doesn't do anything. I had the anti-aliasing problem too at first but I got rid of it through enabeling 3d hardware acceleration in the options menu.

any idea what the hell I'm supposed to do to get this game working? I got "radeon X600"...

• 1 month later...

I found a fix for Vista users, doesn't work on XP though.

If you right click on grimfandango.exe in the program folder then choose compatability settings there is a setting called "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". Enable that and the game runs just fine in fullscreen in software rendering mode. That's the only thing I changed, didn't mess with any antialiasing or anything else.

Hardware 3d still doesn't work though. I'm using Vista Business 64 with a GeForce 9600GT card and 180.48 drivers.

Hope this helps someone else.

• 1 month later...

This is exactly what im getting. I've dl'd the program and set 2x2, but manny just disappears. Here's my screenshot which is taken the same place as the one above.

graphics2.JPG

a fix for this would be greatly appreciated. hope we find one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Installing Virtual PC then creating a virtual Windows 98 and installing the game into that will work for WinXP. It's not the cleanest solution, but it works. You'll need to have a fairly speedy system and it has to run in software 3d mode, but you'll be able to play it full screen just fine.

I haven't tried a joystick this way, but I doubt it would work virtualized.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Unfortunately I've got the same issue with an ATI HD5770. Software mode works fine, but looks like junk and hardware acceleration causes the models to disappear. By the look of this thread there doesn't seem to be a solution for this! :( I just hope that either Residual gets done soon and works or a fix is made available. Ah well, back to no AA

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Any news on this? I upgraded to 8600 GT on my main machine but i still have FX 5500 and an older version of the Riva Tuner I am going to put into a fix pack on my archive...that way at least there will be a way to play GF on mid range machines. I have three, one with a 5500 GT, which is a WIN 98 SE system, one with FX 7600 on a XP SP2 Athion and one with 8600 GT on an AMD dual core so i can usually run just about anything.

I played around with Residual several months back and got as far as Rubacava year 1, so as far as I know it's fully playable. The lipsyncing didn't work, and I kind of think it looked kind of bad, but at least they're working on it. Maybe in a few years it'll be out of alpha.

• 11 months later...

Archived