Home

Questions about the story [possible spoliers]

Carthaholic

OK so I'm thinking about writing a fanfic which would be a retell story of KotOR basically but there's a few things I'd like to clear up or make sense of first. The game itself just doesn't cleary answer most of them so I'm interested in your speculations.

1) Where is the Endar Spire heading to before it falls under attack? Bastilla gets Revan assigned to the Endar Spire and is going where? What's the plan? How does she intended on using Revan?

2) When did Revan first started looking for the Star Maps? Is it before, after or during the Mandalorian War?

3) When did Revan first started wearing his/her masks and suit? That's something that has really been bugging me a lot 'cause I'm trying to figure out why nobody (especially Carth) seems to be able to recognize Revan. Revan was a hero during the Mandolorian War so people would know his face no? Unless he was wearing his mask, but then was Revan wearing a mask even before the war started? Why would he wear a mask anyway?

4) In a cutscene early in the game, Saul reports to Malak of Bastilla's escape from Taris and Calo is there (how did that guy survived anyway?) and he somehow knows about Revan too. How? Is it Calo that told him? If that's the case, how did Calo recognize Revan when nobody else can?

5) How many years is there between the end of Mandalorian War and the moment the game starts? I think it's mentioned in the game but I don't remember. Is it like 3 or 5 years ... ?

6) Uhm, another timeline question. How long was the Mandalorian War exactly?

7) This is a question that has been ask multiple time before but I don't remember if there is anything official about it. How did Malak lost his jaw? A confrontation with Revan maybe?

3) When did Revan first started wearing his/her masks and suit? That's something that has really been bugging me a lot 'cause I'm trying to figure out why nobody (especially Carth) seems to be able to recognize Revan. Revan was a hero during the Mandolorian War so people would know his face no? Unless he was wearing his mask, but then was Revan wearing a mask even before the war started? Why would he wear a mask anyway?

4) In a cutscene early in the game, Saul reports to Malak of Bastilla's escape from Taris and Calo is there (how did that guy survived anyway?) and he somehow knows about Revan too. How? Is it Calo that told him? If that's the case, how did Calo recognize Revan when nobody else can?

hey, i never realized that. Good point!

1) Where is the Endar Spire heading to before it falls under attack? Bastilla gets Revan assigned to the Endar Spire and is going where? What's the plan? How does she intended on using Revan?

My speculation is that she was coming from Coruscant to Dantooine with Revan. Remember, it took the Jedi Council to wipe his/her mind and the Council was on Coruscant.

2) When did Revan first started looking for the Star Maps? Is it before, after or during the Mandalorian War?

It seems that they began looking for it after the Mandalorian Wars. My reasoning is based on the game site and what's said in the 2nd game by Kreia. My speculation is that while on Malachor V, Revan found information about the Star Maps in the Trayus Academy and with Malak went to look for them. Malak says to Revan (in a flashback) if it was wise since the ancient Jedi sealed it (first map) off. One of the Council members on Dantooine tells the "Padawan" that Revan and Malak were seen on other planets during the time they went missing (after the war)

Revan was wearing his/her mask during the war. Jedi wear Force Masks as well as the Sith so it could be that sometime during the War the Revan began using a Force Mask. Carth mentioned something about never having met Revan and only met Malak once. Who knows how many fought in the Mandalorian War but it is possible that the majority of people wouldn't know what Revan looked like because it is possible that the Jedi do not allow their images to be publically transmitted to protect themselves.

In the TSL, Exile makes mention that the information about him/her wasn't public knowledge and only could be found in the Jedi archives. It could be the same for Revan and that any images of Revan wouldn't be allowed to circulate to the public.

There was some cut stuff from the game that one of the modders was able to bring back. Revan runs into Deadeye Duncan on Manaan who tells Revan that a few people DID escape Taris. Deadeye Duncan then asks Revan that since s/he is now a Jedi if he could use the name Mysterious Stranger. Most likely that Calo escaped in a similar fashion by fleeing with some Sith who returned to the ship where Malak was at. As for how he knew your character was Revan... it could be that Calo worked with the Mandalorians during the Mandalorian War or could have worked for the Republic during the War and met Revan briefly. It could also be that Calo DIDN'T know that your character was Revan but when being questioned by the Sith (and possibly the reason he was kept alive) it was realized that your character was Revan.

5) How many years is there between the end of Mandalorian War and the moment the game starts? I think it's mentioned in the game but I don't remember. Is it like 3 or 5 years ... ?

It's about four years. There are several points in the game where the start of the Mandalorian War was given at 20 years, Revan joining the Republic at nearly 7 years, Revan disappearing at 4 years, Revan returning 3 years and Revan's "death" as nearly being one year. I'll have to double check the 4 and 3 years though unless someone else can come up with a concrete number.

Depends. The Mandalorians began their campaign against the outrim 20 years prior but began attacking Republic space seven years before the start of the game. The War seemed to have lasted about three years with the conclusion of the war happening at Malachor V where the "General" (Exile in TSL) gave the order that destroyed the planet. (What was it called again... Mass Shadow Generator?)

7) This is a question that has been ask multiple time before but I don't remember if there is anything official about it. How did Malak lost his jaw? A confrontation with Revan maybe?

Off hand I don't recall. At first I was thinking it was due to Revan but that made no sense. I know when the found the first Star Map he had his jaw but upon returning from their adventure he had already lost it. I don't think it was ever really said how he lost his jaw. It could have happened between searching for the Star Maps or during the war with the Republic.

I'll try and help as much as I can.

I'm not sure where the Endar Spire was heading. Bastila assigned Revan to be a Republic Soldier to protect her.

I'm pretty sure it's after the Mandalorian Wars.

I think he wore a mask when he fall to the Dark Side during the Mandalorian Wars. Only the Jedi would know what he looked like.

I think that Calo must have said that Bastila, Carth and their other companions escaped. Malak doesn't know that it was Revan. Yet.

KOTOR is set five years after the Mandalorian Wars. TSL is set ten years after the Mandalorian Wars.

I don't know. About one or two years.

Possibly.

I hope this helps you. Good luck with writing your Fanfic.

Where is the Endar Spire heading to before it falls under attack? Bastilla gets Revan assigned to the Endar Spire and is going where? What's the plan? How does she intended on using Revan?

Although the opening text says the Endar Spire was heading to Taris to "halt the Sith's galactic domination", I think that it was heading to Dantooine, and went by Taris along the way. It's a logical explanation, because why would the Jedi place the person who could defeat the Sith on an insignificant ship to retake an insignificant planet? If the Enar Spire made it to Dantooine without getting destroyed over Taris, the events in KotOR would have proceeded along just as they would've normally, only with less party members.

After the Mandalorian Wars.

3) When did Revan first started wearing his/her masks and suit?

Probably after he declared war on the Republic. Not many Jedi wear black.

That's something that has really been bugging me a lot 'cause I'm trying to figure out why nobody (especially Carth) seems to be able to recognize Revan.

Carth never said he met Revan, and not many people you see in the game ever met him.

Revan was a hero during the Mandolorian War so people would know his face no?

Where would people find out what he looked like? Revan only became widely known during the Mandalorian Wars, and Jedi discourage being famous. Not to mention how he would wear a mask most of the time.

Unless he was wearing his mask, but then was Revan wearing a mask even before the war started? Why would he wear a mask anyway?

After downloading Svosh's Revan redemption robes mod, I think that Revan wore a blue version of his robe during the Mandalorian Wars. As for why he wore a mask, the plot demmanded it. And it looks cool.

How did Calo survive? And interesting question... It also brings up a few others: When Peragus blows up, how does Sion survive? When the Hammerhead blows up, how does Vandar live? When the Seperatist fleet is destroyed over Coruscant, how does Grievous get from the Core Worlds to the Middle Rim in an escape pod? How does Vader survive in a damaged fighter in the middle of nowhere?

As for how Saul knew, I always thought that Calo gave a description of Bastila and her companions to Saul, who recongized Revan amongst them. Even if Revan wore a mask most of the time during the Mandalorian Wars and the Jedi Civil War, Saul was a loyal officer to Revan in both wars, and probably glimpsed his face during that time. Maybe the Sith had spies in the Republic who told them about Revan. Calo probably didn't recongize Revan, though.

By the events of KotOR, the war has been going on for two years, and the Mandalorian Wars ended five years ago.

That is never stated, but I always thought it was 4-6 years.

That is never stated. I doubt it was a confrontation with Revan, because if it got the point that Revan had to slice off Malak's jaw to stop him from whatever he was doing, I don't see why Revan would trust him enough to let him live after that. I've always thought that Kavar chopped off Malak's jaw. Mandalore does say "I thought you were killed fighting Malak during the Jedi Civil War.", and althought that could imply Kavar was killed fighting against Malak's forces, I thought it was much more fitting that he'd fought Malak. Kavar does seem more powerful than most Sith, and slicing off Malak's jaw would provide a good opportunity for him to escape from Malak, although it could lead to the misconception that he was killed.

Edit: Curses, zadi and Pottsie beat me to it!

Although the opening text says the Endar Spire was heading to Taris to "halt the Sith's galactic domination", I think that it was heading to Dantooine, and went by Taris along the way. It's a logical explanation, because why would the Jedi place the person who could defeat the Sith on an insignificant ship to retake an insignificant planet? If the Enar Spire made it to Dantooine without getting destroyed over Taris, the events in KotOR would have proceeded along just as they would've normally, only with less party members.
Actually the opening text doesn't say that it was heading to Taris. The last paragraph says, "In the skies above the Outer Rim world of Taris, a Jedi battle fleet engages the forces of Darth Malak in a desperate effort to halt the Sith's galactic domination...." My guess is still that they were on their way to Dantooine.

Coruscant is an inner core world while Dantooine is an outer rim one. It makes sense that they were in the area of Taris when they were attacked.

If you are female Revan and you persue the romance option with Carth, you will learn that Carth never met Revan, but will mention that he did meet Malak.

If you are female Revan and you persue the romance option with Carth, you will learn that Carth never met Revan, but will mention that he did meet Malak.

True. I forgot about that. But technically, you don't necesseraly need to meet someone personally to know their face (well unless they're wearing a mask all the time of course), he could've still have seen Revan in holograms or whatever.

True. I forgot about that. But technically, you don't necesseraly need to met someone personally to know their face (well unless they're wearing a mask all the time of course), he could've still have seen Revan in holograms or whatever.

I don't think Carth would have thought it was possible that Revan would be still alive if you go that route. But in any case, according to the game, Carth never met Revan personally during the Mandalorian Wars.

I have a thought on this. Calo was probably referring to how Revan was with Canderous and whoever else s\he took to see Davik. He probably got a lot of information from the background check, so Calo could tell Saul, and Saul could tell Malak, that Revan and Bastila were travelling with a Mandalorian named Canderous, a Twi'lek named Mission, a Wookie named Zaalbar, ect.

I think I remember reading that a female Jedi padawan sliced it off during a fight, though I'm not sure.

i read somewhere on another site that Revan punished Malak for exceeding his orders and destroying Telos by removing his jaw. That however could be nothing more than fan fiction. It does fit though, as Canderous tells Carth that

"everone knows it was Malak who gave the orders to bomb Telos" when Carth is talking to the group about the revalation of Revan's identity. But again no real proof

I also found it odd, that Revan got a robe which is apparently created by the Star Forge during his journey to FIND the starforge... but he looks so ueber cool in it and the plot requiers it that i don't really care.

1.) The Endar Spire isnt heading anywhere (i think), it is part of a fleet which gets destroyed by Malaks Armada. I cant remember, but i think it is something about that Malak surprised that little fleet of the Republic, and not even Bastila could turn the Battle.

2.) Definitly after the Mandalorian Wars

3.) Now that is something the developers haven't thought about i think. Revan alone is responsible for the victory over the mandalorians. He was a hero in that war, soldiers, verterans and whatever should know his face. Having heard so much about what a charismatic leader Revan was, it is likely that he gave speeches. Well... imo the devs didnt care for that.

4.) Calo is tough, Lord Malak. :D

To be honest i wonder how he survived too. However he is a mandalorian bounty hunter, therefore he might now Revan. But again, if he knew Revan, why didnt he tell that Davik or anyone? Iam sure Davik or Calo himself could have made himself rich if he told Malak right away Revan's alive.

5.)It's 4 years. Master Dorak tells you the timeline of the Mandalorian wars.

6.) The mandalorians started to attack small world which arent part of the Republic 20 years before Kotor I. 7 years before Kotor I the mandalorians start to attack 3 worlds of the Republic at the same time. So the real war is 3 years.

7.) I bet it is a lightsaber duel, but i don't know. Could only be Revan though, because who else is strong enough to defeat Malak? no one i think

I also found it odd, that Revan got a robe which is apparently created by the Star Forge during his journey to FIND the starforge... but he looks so ueber cool in it and the plot requiers it that i don't really care.

Are we sure it's a Star Forge robe? The computer on the Star Forge says it makes custom robes. How do we not know that Revan's original robes were first obtained on Malachor V and that s/he programmed the Star Forge to recreate the robes thus when Revan reactivates the computer on the Star Forge it creates new versions of his/her original robes? Remember, the original color of the Star Forge robes are brown not black (like Revan's) and not white (like in the mods).

Cause, you have to get all the starmaps to find the StarForge...

If Revan were wearing the StarForge Robe he would not need to find/use the starmaps???

I think Revan may start to wear the robes much earlier in his career, probably once he becomes a Jedi Knight.

Else, many people would have remembered him on Dantooine. Jedis are allowed to move about outside the Academy, and quite a few locals would remember him, unless the Jedis brainwash everyone on the planet (is this possable even?)

We can assume ex-friends/trainmates/teammates to be quiet about about it, them being jedis and all.

But what about those Jedis who have gone Sith?? Funny how no one remembers his face on Sith Academy also? Unless we assume Jedis work in "packs" where they team up with only those they are trained together with, and none of them survived/turned-sith. OR, Revan got his mask once he left his Padawan status, so most people know him with the mask only. Now, we can assume Malak train with Revan so they know each other quite well.

I think Jedis did not censor their pictures on their media, since there are clips with Jedis in non-military droids and such at the time. No I am not saying there will be pin-up Jedi of the month, but certainly pictures of Jedis, or even holo-vids, have been shown to people, one of the reasons why people would recognize a deactivated lightsaber. Hack, that could have been a hi-tech scope/flute/waterpipe/massager/toothbrush!!!

If Revan were wearing the StarForge Robe he would not need to find/use the starmaps???

The whole problem with the Star Forge robes originating on the Star Forge is that the Star Forge probably hadn't been used in nearly 30,000 years by the Rat... I always forget how to spell their name but the creatures from the Star Forge planet. I doubt they used those types of robes. On top of that when you're at the Star Forge the replicator bin you can make three other types of armor... armor that fits humans which means, at least to me, that someone programmed the computer to make those items. My guess about the Star Forge robes was that Revan programmed the Star Forge to create those items and the Star Forge robes are replicated from his/her own robes.

I think Revan may start to wear the robes much earlier in his career, probably once he becomes a Jedi Knight.

My thoughts is that he started wearing those particular robes on Malachor V and obtained them in the Trayus Academy.

But what about those Jedis who have gone Sith?? Funny how no one remembers his face on Sith Academy also? Unless we assume Jedis work in "packs" where they team up with only those they are trained together with, and none of them survived/turned-sith. OR, Revan got his mask once he left his Padawan status, so most people know him with the mask only. Now, we can assume Malak train with Revan so they know each other quite well.

What about them? The Jedi that turned Sith may have died after all the Sith way is to kill each other off. Another thing is we don't know how many Jedi went with Revan and Malak to the Unknown Region let alone how many survived. We do know that the ones inside the temple recognized Revan immediately.

As for the Sith Academy, the old hermit (whose name escapes me) was hiding from his apprentice who bumped him as the head of the academy. Who is to say that the old hermit didn't do the same to someone before him and that person was the one appointed to the academy by Revan? As for students not recognizing him, why would any of the students or teachers there know Revan's face? Students are killed off on a regular basis and even Yuthura Ban said that she wouldn't recognize Revan is s/he was standing in front of her.

Another thing to consider, there are many enclaves (can't recall which of the games mention it, second I think) hidden in the galaxy and if I recall correctly, Exile even says children are taken to Dantooine just like they are taken to Coruscant and even hints to other places that children are taken to be raised as Jedi. We don't know how many Jedi left for the Mandalorian Wars, we know only one returned and many died at Malachor V. We know the remaining Jedi went with Revan save the Exile who returned to Coruscant and was exiled.

I think Jedis did not censor their pictures on their media, since there are clips with Jedis in non-military droids and such at the time. No I am not saying there will be pin-up Jedi of the month, but certainly pictures of Jedis, or even holo-vids, have been shown to people, one of the reasons why people would recognize a deactivated lightsaber. Hack, that could have been a hi-tech scope/flute/waterpipe/massager/toothbrush!!!

I think they do and Exile even mentions several times in the second game that the info (about her/him) would only be found in the Jedi Database from Coruscant. On Onderon, you find out (I think from one of the bounty hunters) that your pictures and information was plastered every where in the galaxy for you to be found. The Exile was a general during the war and while not have been an admiral like Revan (who might have been, I'm speculating on that) s/he probably was pretty famous such as General Patton but I doubt you would know what Patton looked like without looking it up.

So while Revan was infamous/famous for helping the Republic during the Manadalorian War, not everyone would know what s/he looked like due to any number of reasons including the fact that their faces (the Jedi) were not shown to the general public due to a "media blackout" of sorts.

There is also the possiblity that during Davik's background check that they both found out the PC was Revan.

However, I would bet that Calo simply described Carth, Bastila and the PC to Saul and Saul recognized who s/he was.

Archived