Home

Games Consoles

LordReserei

I've been wonderin how many people are actually happy about new/next gen games consoles coming out.

I mean I admit I haven't got a lot of money and not a lot of us have, so for me when I here new games consoles are coming for example the PS3 I instantly think "aw man, with the PS3 coming Metal Gear Solid 4'll be on that console" which it is and that for me sucks becuase I won't be able to afford to the PS3 and the game.

so what's your views?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm neutral in this, since i have a Playstation, gamecube, and my best friend has an X-Box.

The 360 is just screwed. it costs $710 dollars to make one, so they are loosing money big time. They can only compensate with games, but they aren't good either. Off course, the graphics are better, but mainly because of the HD-TV's.

And of course, the instability of the machine.

But there is one 'but': The games. Halo 3 is a guarenteed classig, and if Bungie does a good job, it could own the other games alike.

Also, it's still the platform with the most attractive franchises:

Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Kotor.Mass Effect.

The Revolution can turn out to be good, or total crap.

It could introduce cool and innovative gameplay (shooters alike) or EA and other firms will destroy it by abusising it to cover their bad games:

Rayman 17! With REVOLUTION control!

The PS3 has the advantage.

They have the name (Sony), the games (Killzone, GTA, Devil May Cry), and the potential of a superb machine, since it's of japanese make. Also, since it will be the most powerfull of the three (in theory), it will be attractive for PC-developers. The main-reason to buy an X-Box (graphics) might be captured by Sony. They do have to make their games a bit less-commercial, or else Microsoft could ruin their day.

At the end of the console war, i think the list will be as follows:

Sony

Nintendo

X-Box

meh, i'm not really a console fan to begin with. besides, everything with the consoles now is just gimmick after gimmick anyway. all that processing power the PS3 and the 360 has?? just about useless if you don't know how to multi-thread your code. oh yeah, and don't forget that multi-threading the code is going to cost devs a lot more money than previously. guess what that does to the end consumer....

blue-ray on the PS3?? that might be useful 3-4 years from now when and if blue-ray wins out over HD-DVD and becomes the industry standard. then again, in 3-4 years, it'll be the end of the PS3's life cycle, and Sony will be in the middle of developing yet another set of gimmicks. granted, you can say the same thing if Micro$oft decides to make HD-DVD available for the 360.

the Revolution controller?? yeah, i've always wanted to use motion sensing inside of the controller to play my games. too bad the technology has been there for the past 18-20 years already. hmm, i wonder if the game 'Duck Hunt' is giving anybody ideas...

still, i gotta give props to Nintendo. if i am impressed with any of the next-gen consoles, it would be the Revolution. yeah, its gimmicky, but at least they aren't afraid to try something new aside from loading the thing with way more processing power than it needs. in a pinch, i'll stick with innovation instead of evolution that gives you more of the same.

i thought the PS3 console was going to be "cheap" as in cheaper then the 360, like $299 or $399 or something. but im saving up for the PS3...only 1 more month i think 'till it comes out...
:rofl:

oh, umm, you were being serious.... >_>

you do realize that the PS3 is projected to cost a lot more than the 360 to produce at the factory, right?? in terms of production costs, the 360 is much less expensive. granted, its a tradition for console manufacturers to take a huge loss by pricing the consoles for less than their production cost, but you can count on Sony pricing the PS3 so that it will be as low as possible while remaining competitive with the 360. that means $399 or higher. ;)

i thought the PS3 console was going to be "cheap" as in cheaper then the 360, like $299 or $399 or something. but im saving up for the PS3...only 1 more month i think 'till it comes out...
You can check out this recent article from CNN that speculates on the price point the PS3 will launch at. I would be very surprised if the PS3 starts selling for anything less than US$400 (or US$399 if you want). If Sony does set the PS3 price below Microsoft's XBOX 360 then they will be sending the signal that they are willing to hemorrhage even more $$$ than they normally do on gaming consoles. I would interpret that as a sign of desperation that they want to get more PS3's out there to catch up with M$. I think it more likely that they will match the XBOX 360 or bump it up to US$450 (CAN$520) since it didn't seem like the US$400 (CAN$460) price point on the XBOX 360 dampened its sales.

Oh yeah, and as far as the PS3 coming out in another month or so. Go with "or so" because I don't think the PS3 will be released until after this year's E3 in May. Actually there's much speculation that the PS3 will be a EOY holiday launch, meaning November. Sony of course is keeping a very tight lip on this stuff so they could surprise us.

On another note, does anybody have a sense for the differences in game programming between the PS3 and the XBOX 360? I've got very little in the way of programming knowledge but I'm wondering how much effort it would take to port an XBOX 360 game over to PS3 and vice versa. Will it require more work than it did between XBOX and PS2? Of course, I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not KotOR 3 would have the potential for releasing for both XBOX 360 and PS3... :D

*EDIT: Added Canadian dollar amounts because we've got lots of cool Canucks on our forums... :D

lolz....are you kidding....the ps3 will be the most expensive of the lot....

mtfbwya

You can check out this recent article from CNN that speculates on the price point the PS3 will launch at. I would be very surprised if the PS3 starts selling for anything less than US$400 (or US$399 if you want). If Sony does set the PS3 price below Microsoft's XBOX 360 then they will be sending the signal that they are willing to hemorrhage even more $$$ than they normally do on gaming consoles. I would interpret that as a sign of desperation that they want to get more PS3's out there to catch up with M$. I think it more likely that they will match the XBOX 360 or bump it up to US$450 (CAN$520) since it didn't seem like the US$400 (CAN$460) price point on the XBOX 360 dampened its sales.

Oh yeah, and as far as the PS3 coming out in another month or so. Go with "or so" because I don't think the PS3 will be released until after this year's E3 in May. Actually there's much speculation that the PS3 will be a EOY holiday launch, meaning November. Sony of course is keeping a very tight lip on this stuff so they could surprise us.

On another note, does anybody have a sense for the differences in game programming between the PS3 and the XBOX 360? I've got very little in the way of programming knowledge but I'm wondering how much effort it would take to port an XBOX 360 game over to PS3 and vice versa. Will it require more work than it did between XBOX and PS2? Of course, I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not KotOR 3 would have the potential for releasing for both XBOX 360 and PS3... :D

*EDIT: Added Canadian dollar amounts because we've got lots of cool Canucks on our forums... :D

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/28/news_6128295.html

hmmmmm...

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=155747&highlight=Launch+Price

hmmmmm...

^^^^^

Article posted June 28th, 2005

^^^^^^

Correction: An earlier version of this story appeared with statements erroneously attributed to Sir Howard Stringer, CEO of Sony Corporation, regarding pricing and availability of the PS3. Stringer has not commented publicly on how much the PS3 is expected to cost, or how soon it will appear in the US after the Japanese launch in spring 2006.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/21/technology/playstation_fortune_112805/

hmmmm... ;)

--------------

I'm still wagering it's going to cost around $499.. possibly even higher

^^^^^

Article posted June 28th, 2005

^^^^^^

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/21/technology/playstation_fortune_112805/

hmmmm... ;)

--------------

I'm still wagering it's going to cost around $499.. possibly even higher

half of that article is talking about blu-ray and HD-DVD and its price then talks about video cards...then goes on and on and on...yet, never talks about the price of PS3...just that its going to be expensive... they prolly aren't gunna make the PS3 more than $499, since they say it took them $494 to make...and since the CEO of Sony has said its gunna be 300-400 and hasn't said anything else, im going w/ that until he says something else.

its like the PSP, they thought it would be $500 but it was really $249...

it also depends on how Sony feels, if they think they can get alot of sales like the PS2 (94 million) or more, then they'll prolly sell it for $450 or less. if they think that they can't get enough sales, it prolly be $500+...

thing is that all the ones that say that the price is gunna be $399 are all dated to early 2005 and all the ones that say it might be more are dated to Febuary or January 2006 :S

hmmmmm... :smash:

and since the CEO of Sony has said its gunna be 300-400 and hasn't said anything else, im going w/ that until he says something else.

But the CEO (Sir Howard Stringer) didn't say it was going to be $300-$400... the CNN article made a mistake/correction about it (I quoted it above)...

meh, but in any case.. tomato / tomatoe I still like the looks of PS3.. and though I haven't bought a console ever since Sega Genesis/CD.. this machine has definitely gotten my attention.

It could be $600 and I'd still have to practice some restraint in buying it.. it's sleek, a powerhouse, and it's color maches my TV and stereo hehehe.. :D

thing is that all the ones that say that the price is gunna be $399 are all dated to early 2005 and all the ones that say it might be more are dated to Febuary or January 2006 :S
:confused: So are you saying that you believe the older 2005 articles that state the PS3 will be priced at US$399 over the newer 2006 news articles like the one I posted from money.CNN.com dated 2006 JAN 11 <link> that says it will more likely be US$500?

On another note, does anybody have a sense for the differences in game programming between the PS3 and the XBOX 360? I've got very little in the way of programming knowledge but I'm wondering how much effort it would take to port an XBOX 360 game over to PS3 and vice versa.
Nobody responded to my query so I decided to do a little self-education on the subject. :D Found a very informative article on arstechnica.com <link> that helped me understand the current programming situation with the new console gaming platforms. My intepretation: many publishers (excluding ones owned by console manufacturers) will design cross-platform games because they want to increase revenue. BUT due to the great differences in h/w specs between the three consoles the games will be designed so as to minimize the work required to port to additional consoles thus negating much of the multi-threading advantages the XBOX 360 and PS3 offer.

Well, I've had my 360 for a while now and I'm quite pleased, Perfect Dark Zero was good and I rented DOA4 which was pretty good (I'll probably buy it eventually).

KIII, Mass Effect, Halo3, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, and GEARS OF WAR are just some of the titles I've got plans for.

I'm slightly intersted in Sony, but the only title that look remotely interesting are Killzone and MG4, I've never been interested in GTA or any other PS2 Titles so there aren't any PS3 sequels I'm looking forward to, but if they do produce a good lineup I might get one.

Nintendo, what can I say about nintendo... All the revolution and ingeneuity in the world is great... if you can stand looking at primary colors:lol:

Seriously though, the whole controller concept is interesting, I might be more interested if it was used in some more mature games (feel the katana sever those bowels...just feel it:D) but it's probably going to be wasted on the jumping abilities of Mario and 3000 other colorful anime characters:(

Archived