Home

Official Petroglyph "Need to fix" Thread - 1.02 Patch Released

Darth_Torpid-PG

(Mods, feel free to move this thread to wherever is appropriate)

The game is now shipping and some people already have it in their hands. As stated in another thread, we have already done some fixes that will be available in a patch later today.

I wanted to open this thread as an official place to post any bugs, exploits or balance issues that you might find that you would like to see fixed in a new patch.

Please do not post suggestions here for changes to the engine as it stands - those are more the realm of things for an expansion or sequel at this point, and as such deserve their own thread.

I can't say what the schedule for patching and such will be, as that is under the direction of LucasArts, but I can say that we will be watching things on the fan sites closely, and will be taking the appropriate action when necessary. We also have a few surprises in store... :)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Examples of what we are looking for...

Things like the "we need to remove auto repair and put in maintainance" would be something for the expansion/sequel. In this case, a fundamental part of the way the game plays would be changed, and thus is outside the scope of this discussion. Another example of this would be "I want to be able to drag down two units at once when initiating a ground assault". It may be a good suggestion, but that's not the way the game plays and really isn't a bug, exploit or balance issue.

Things like "The anti-aircraft units don't do enough damage against speeders, so people are speeder rushing my bases" is a balance problem. In this case, a single unit is so powerful that it can completely overwhelm play, and changing the damage of AA weapons would fix it.

Things like "Han Solo dying in mission 6 rebel should end the mission but it doesn't" would be an example of a bug. In this case, there's a problem with a script or something that prevents the proper play of the game.

Things like "I can click my bombing runs just outside the shields and the bombs will hit inside the shields" is a balance problem and an exploit and a bug all at once. In this case, a part of the game is not working as intended, and can be exploited to cause balance problems.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

Remove killing Mon Motha as a victory condition for the empire when the player is playing empire (or have her spawn on a random planet). It becomes to easy to rush Hoth and kill her in the first turn or so on the empire at war GC map, and while this may not be very "sporting" it raises the issue of how long you should wait to attack hoth in fear of the game being too easy.

Also when you win the battle on the planet's surface you should be given control of the planet (assuming you have arial superiorty) even if you don't have any units left due to particarly tough battle. For example you can destroy every empire building and unit but still not control the planet because the only unit you had left got "rounded to death" going from the battle to the galactic map.

I had just defeated the empire over Azterri in the space battle and I sent 1 unit of infantry to the planet's surface intending to scout, but I managed to kill all the imperial forces using turrets and bombing runs. However I only had 4 men left out of the entire unit, and when I was sent back to the galactic map Azterri was still under imperial control (although they had no more units on the ground or in space) and my unit was gone. I have a save right before the battle and right after. and here is a pic of the victory

http://static.flickr.com/29/100251867_3de72d870e_o.jpg

When enough of your company is killed it is dead after the battle ends. Because you did not have any units on the ground you could not capture it so they kept it

Thats what I origanally thought but Darth's post seems to indicate that it shouldn't happen when you win? Either way it would be nice if it showed up on the post battle window as a lost unit.

Also that nasty scrolling bug from the demo is still around. If your mouse trails to the bottom of the screen during the load time from the post-battle window to the galactic map the game accepts that as the default posistion and will constantly scroll up when the mouse is idle (even saving and reloading the save file didn't seem to fix this).

Also that nasty scrolling bug from the demo is still around. If your mouse trails to the bottom of the screen during the load time from the post-battle window to the galactic map the game accepts that as the default posistion and will constantly scroll up when the mouse is idle (even saving and reloading the save file didn't seem to fix this).

I thought that was a bug from the demo. My mouse if it is in the wrong position or if I have my finger on the arrow scroll key when the game ends or loads another screen so to speak, the game will constantly try to drift pull to the edge of the galactic map, space or land map.

I don't have the game yet, but does anyone know if the "target soft points disappearing if destroyed in the wrong order" still occurs with regards to the Space Station (say in the Asteroid Field after Hoth)? This problem occured often in the demo... In other words you couldn't move your cursor to where the soft point was in order to target it, you had to highlight a nearby target, which means you had to zoom way out or rotate around until you found something close by, and sometimes it would simply crash. If this hasn't been fixed, it ought to be!

Also, any chance of a Linux server distribution being released?

Is there any way you could make it so the screenshots are stored in a more obvious location? I was expecting C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War\Screenshots or something like that, but it didn't exist.

Finally I decided to search my drives for "screenshot" and found that it is under

C:\Documents and Settings\My User Name\Application Data\Petroglyph\Empire At War\ScreenShots

Just a small tiny complaint :)

o and i havent read the manual so i'm sure it's in there :D

Hello,

After playing a couple of hours I found a bug on the city maps. On some parts of the map collision isn't detected correctly and soldiers are passing trough the walls.

Hope you can fix it. As soon as I can I'll try to take a screenshot of the trouble area and post it here.

Well, since we always have one of these for every big game that has a patch, I figure I'd start off. Mods, please feel free to merge any relevant discussions in here.

Let's keep ourselves to constructive comments and feedback, bug reports, observations, etc, and avoid flame wars or spam.

Thanks!

Edit: Merged this into the Petroglyph feedback thread, hopefully to cut down on any confusion.

Every time I try to connect to gamespy through empire at war, it stays connected for a few seconds and then disconnects me with an error message, I'm DMZed so thats not that problem.

"Failed to connect - you have been disconnected from the server. Try logging in again."

Every time I try to connect to gamespy through empire at war, it stays connected for a few seconds and then disconnects me with an error message, I'm DMZed so thats not that problem.

"Failed to connect - you have been disconnected from the server. Try logging in again."

don't worry its not you, your not the only one its happening to. My friends and I wanted to do a mp game and we got the same thing. The gamespy server is probably down. Guess they planned poorly on the numbers of people that will want to play it today.

However, this brings up an important issue. If eaw had support for making multiplayer games through ip then we would at least be able to play even though the gamespy server was down. There should be the ip option and not force us to be at the mercy of only gamespy. If something happens to the gamespy server, like it did today, we can't play any multiplayer. Please petro give us ip support.

Yeah, several recent LucasArts titles have that. I'm surprised they released a patch so soon, but I guess that's a good sign that they're dedicated to supporting this title!

SWBF1 had a patch pretty early on as well, though it was a small one at first. This patch appears to be very extensive. Unfortunately I haven't had time to really test it out since I don't have EaW yet, but it's good to know many of the early issues have been caught before I even play the full version. Keep the comments coming...

I just had a battle in Bespin, and when I attacked, the Rebellion decided to retreat. However, just when the timer for their escape ended, the Space Station exploted, taking with it 2 of my Acclamator Cruisers at the same time. Should this happend? Is it like a shrapnell effect or a tactic or base auto destruct, etc. For some reason, I don't think so.

My online game keeps kicking me out. I have cable so speeds not a problem. I hope you can get this fixed, It's really ticking me off.

Also, The first Rebel level, I went to attack Kuat, First time I did Auto-Resovle. The Emperor died and Tarkin was left. I then attacked the planet. It started up and said We are Victorious. The units were all fighting but with no damage and it never ended.

I was wondering why we don't have our tie interceptors in eaw. The rebels get a-wings and the imps have no real counter to it, Its a bit unbalancing. I believe that a month ago a petroglyph representative responded to a thread complaining about a-wings with the statement that they will put tie interceptors in the game to counter the a-wings. So what happened? I don't see any tie interceptors. For that matter I don't see any sort of counter unit for the a-wings. Nice way to unbalance the game.

Oh and sithman thats a cool picture you got for your avatar. Can you link the site where you got it?

Archived