Home

Official Petroglyph "Need to fix" Thread - 1.02 Patch Released

Darth_Torpid-PG

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've looked around and not found much reference to what I feel is the Tartan's obscene deadliness. Tartans are cheap (and often free), very common, and with the "maximize firepower" ability turned on, can utterly shred fighters and bombers like its going out of style. In games like X-Wing vs TIE-Fighter, ships like these could be easily destroyed by your fighters and bombers; how come here these vessels are so deadly that fighters can't even get close enough to shoot back without being annihilated? In singleplayer this is very frustrating; to jump into a system with six squadrons as a screen ahead of my big ships (which the game forces and I can't change, as far as I can tell) and have a Tartan or two show up, and destroy all my starfighters before I even have a chance to tell them to run their happy asses away? In one mission I lost over 26 squadrons of starfighters, and the enemy only had four tartans; they didn't even have Broadside Cruisers. These losses were taken despite the fact that I actively tried to avoid the patrol cruisers with the fighters, and actively hunted them down with gunboats and frigates. The frustration of jumping four Y-Wing squadrons into clear space away from combat, tell them to target a space station hardpoint, then have a single Tartan appear out of the gloom and destroy them all within five seconds as I tell them to run away... argh.

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but I skimmed trough and I saw nothing about (IMO) the weakness of Y-wings. Y-wings are VERY inefficient against any ship armed with a lazer cannon. They're too slow, even for bombers, I mean, a caorvete or a tartan could outrun a Y-wing any day, so the Y-wings are EZ targets (its almost impossible to fire on them and miss). I think the speed of Y-wings should be upped, their shields should get a small boost, AND there should be 4 Y-wings per squadron. This would render them more efficient against TIEs and Tartans, along with many other ships. Another solution would be Rebel ships spawning Y-wings, but that would also take away uniqueness from the Empire and remose the strategicall value of using up pop and resources with Y-wings (making the game more obvious and less hardcore).

Tartans and Corvette's powers are fine, they're anti-fighters, nuff said.

HOWEVER, what isn't fine IMO is that Imperials get free fighters while Rebels have to build thiers sooooo slowly. Frankly, Rebel capital ships should pump out X-wings and Y-wings, only much, much less than Imperials and TIEs. Then, when you reach a certain tech level, ships get an extra A-wing squad per ship. Its still accurate: TIE are disposable and greater in number, Rebel fighters are better but fewer.

Problem solved really. But For the Rebels, I don't know, its a lot of money and time to build a Y-wing squad with a measly 3 bombers each that get taken out in an eyeblink by almost anything...

In this post:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2036838#post2036838

I think this person makes a good point. The problem with game balance is it focuses way too much on counter units in a black and white manner, instead of like C&C Generals where the counter units were more powerful to the units they could attack but they could also do a decent amount of damage to units they aren't specifically designed to fight -- particularly in space battles.

It doesn't bother me that a Tartan can deal some major damage to fighters. That's all well and good. The fact that just two or three Tartans can wipe out over fifteen squadrons of starfighters in the first few minutes of the game, despite me actively trying to avoid them, and attack them when avoiding was impossible (since the Tartan outruns the Y-Wing... Imagine that...) there's something too extreme going on. If you set five squadrons of Y-Wings against a Tartan, you should be able to take it out with some losses. As it stands now, you'll hardly scratch it and lose every fighter.

A small bug I found recently. When an Air speeder attacks an AT-AT and the attack fails, the AT-AT gets stuck and cannot move. The cable has disappeared but the AT-AT cant move, it can still fire though. I was just wondering whether either the cable is supposed to remain around the AT-AT or whether there's a problem with the AT-AT moving again after the attack. A simple tweak to include in a future patch.

First, an interface change request (small one). It would be nice if tactical display always displayed all your units, and highlighted the ones that are selected to make it easier to group units. (Similar to Total War)

Here's a new one I saw over the weekend. When I sent bounty hunters to a planet that had a whole bunch of Emperial commanders, there were a bunch of relic commander icons on my interface screens afterwards. On the galactic map there were several overlapping commander icons near the play/pause button. When zoomed into a planet there were several more scattered arround the screen. (I took some screen shots) I also noticed that the price to eliminate them was shown with a dollar sign, in stead of credits. They were gone during tactical combat, but returned afterwards. Changing video settings didn't fix anything. Restarting the game fixed the problem.

Another graphics thing I noticed over the weekend, in multiplayer: When trying to connect, sometimes it shows the tiefighter cockpit background behind the connection windows, sometimes a black background, and sometimes just an orange circle in the top left corner. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I THINK that the tiefighter cockpit background sometimes shows battle cutscenes out the window, and sometimes not (I know this is the case most of the time, unsure of the other case). Connection seems to be most likely when it's a black background.

whever c3po is taken to courascant they disapear, their icon is empty

sometimse the tie fighters move very very fast across the map, circling it about once a second

sometimes when i invade and the enemy retreats, the battle starts up again where it left off, (that may be normal but i know it doesn't happen if i retreat)

I'll most likely regret saying this...

• Tone down the speeders abit maybe? Against buildings at least... Maybe tone em' down against buildings abit and turn them up on units more.... I've begin using them as an initial Raid force. I build 3 squads of speeders (9 speeders) then send them out to destroy all buildings on a map, once destroyed I have them retreat. I do an immeadiate followup with 2 artillery squads, a platoon of infantry, field commander, and a hero...

• Also, as a side note... I ran into a situation online where someone was able to use Boba's Stealth fleet ability to hide an attack force, and do an Imperial "Raid", skipping space combat altogether... Boba wasn't even directly involved in the fight, he was just used to get his men on the ground...

• Also, the "lightspeed fighter" issue I mentioned earlier, and other people have since mentioned, I believe to be a side effect of the 2.5 aspect of the game... Because so much stuff appears in such a small space the fighters need to maneuver around them in order to avoid collisions, they move around 3D dimsionally, and the problem seems that they fly upwards TOWARDS the camera, as they maneuver in preperation to fly down again, the icon is folowing a ground of 3 to 5 fighters at a VERY close proximity to the player, as well as getting spread out quickly... That's what I noticed at least...

• Also, giving Ackbar's Mon Cal a shield generator hard point, and not the other Mon Cal's seems a bit unfair as you can lose his Mon Cal quicker... I understand it's to balance against Piet, but at least give the other Mon Cal's shield hard points to keep things more "realistic"....

• Don't let the Emperor get killed so quickly in online auto resolves... I won a match the other day because the opponent sent him to take on a planet of pirates... The game lasted about 5 minutes because the Emperor got killed... I think as protection the Emperor should be able to retreat from those auto-resolves without incurring enemy loses, nor being lost himself... 'Or something to prevent silly moves like that.....

• Also, I propse a radical new feature, which may, or may not, have been thought of... Since the Rebels have the "Raid" slot, which allows the player to bypass space fights, I proper that Imperials be given a "Trap" slot on friendly planets, essentially the Imperials are allowed to move a single fleet in the game into any friendly planet's Trap slot, and while in there they are undetectable except if 3P0/R2 are in orbit (This because they're the only unit which appears to be able to see ground units when in orbit too) The trap slot would make the planet look ripe for the taking showing no fleets in orbit, and once the Rebels put their fleet in orbit the Imperials can either spring, or not spring the trap. Let's say the Rebel force is a couple of Neb's fighters and some corvettes, the Imperials could opt not to spring the trap, as with so few ships, the rebels would not be able to detect the trap right away... However, if an assault frigate, or Mon Cal is sent into orbit, the trap is sprung automatically due to their sensors being better.... The Imperials would only be allowed one or two planets to be the site of a trap at the same time... So while Byss, Endor, Mon Calamari, Kuat and Kamino are all under Imperial control, the Empire could only have traps at Endor and Kamino at the same time, until the fleet is moved out of the trap slot, no other planet can be used to harbor a trap....

My basis for this is that the Emperor created a trap in RotJ.... Or hell, make the whole "Trap slot" a side effect of the Emperor while he's in space... What ever fleet he's part of is "hiddden" due to to his ability to use the Force to hide their prescence, or even created miltiple identical fleets in nearby systems to confuse the enemy....

It's not at all needed, just think it'd be a good reason to let Ackbar scream "It's a Trap!" and let us all enjoy a good laugh...

• Also, the Emperor seems to always over cook the enemy infantry... This should be resolved, as over cooking the enemy infantry is the leading cause of forest fires, and even Wicket agrees, Forest Fire Bad!

Wicket%5FSays.jpg

English to Ewok translation grabbed from This site

Actually, I think that "trap slot" is a great idea. It can be done sort of clumsily right now if you wait with a large fleet on a nearby planet, but then you risk losing the planet and all its assets in the process of blowing up a Rebel fleet, so why not just defend the planet? This would be a great thing to put in an expansion--I think combined with allowing the Rebels to "hide" units at Imperial-controlled but Rebel-sympathetic systems, that would make the game feel much more like a massive government versus an upstart rebellion than just two factions fighting a war.

Hi,

don't know if its been mentioned already (hard to read all through):

Playing Galactic Conquest, many many times Garrisons move from one planet to one next, when I click on the planet on the mainscreen. For example I click on Coruscant and woooosh the Garrison moves though I do not want them to. It's not a problem when they move to an owned planet, but, on frontboarders it's a pain in the a*** and they move to the enemy and they get surely screwed! Even more painful when the garrison contains a Hero :blast5: And its totally nervy!

Dont know if it is meant to be so. It just forces me to click on planets only on the mini-map, and not on the main-screen. Makes no good sense in my eyes.

The (Collectors-Ed) DVD seems to be bugged too, it almost never runs when I want to start it on the first time and says the DVD is not inside though it IS.

When I take it out and load again, it works.

Thx

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but on the land battle autoresolve issue:

Right now, the cheapest way to take a planet is to drop troops one-by-one. A single unit can easily destroy half the buildings and a number of units in an autoresolve, and three units dropped one-by-one usually can take even the strongest planet. I stumbled on this when I realised that the more units I brought to a fight the more I lost - when it should be the other way around. I'd say the CRT have some fundamental flaw.

• Also, I propse a radical new feature, which may, or may not, have been thought of... Since the Rebels have the "Raid" slot, which allows the player to bypass space fights, I proper that Imperials be given a "Trap" slot on friendly planets, essentially the Imperials are allowed to move a single fleet in the game into any friendly planet's Trap slot, and while in there they are undetectable except if 3P0/R2 are in orbit (This because they're the only unit which appears to be able to see ground units when in orbit too) The trap slot would make the planet look ripe for the taking showing no fleets in orbit, and once the Rebels put their fleet in orbit the Imperials can either spring, or not spring the trap. Let's say the Rebel force is a couple of Neb's fighters and some corvettes, the Imperials could opt not to spring the trap, as with so few ships, the rebels would not be able to detect the trap right away... However, if an assault frigate, or Mon Cal is sent into orbit, the trap is sprung automatically due to their sensors being better.... The Imperials would only be allowed one or two planets to be the site of a trap at the same time... So while Byss, Endor, Mon Calamari, Kuat and Kamino are all under Imperial control, the Empire could only have traps at Endor and Kamino at the same time, until the fleet is moved out of the trap slot, no other planet can be used to harbor a trap....

My basis for this is that the Emperor created a trap in RotJ.... Or hell, make the whole "Trap slot" a side effect of the Emperor while he's in space... What ever fleet he's part of is "hiddden" due to to his ability to use the Force to hide their prescence, or even created miltiple identical fleets in nearby systems to confuse the enemy....

It's not at all needed, just think it'd be a good reason to let Ackbar scream "It's a Trap!" and let us all enjoy a good laugh...

That is quite simply a superb idea and should be implemented when all the other 'issues' have been dealt with.

Instead of having to ctrl A - select all units - and then decide how to manage them. It would be cool if there was an optional sidebar with a list of all available units within the view screen (so not the entire map but just what is visible) and you can click on the icons to control where they should go. Often, especially in space, it's difficult to click on specific fleets and not accidently click on others.

If that's not possible, perhaps a visual version of CTRL 1 - 9, where you can highlight a group of ships and click on an icon (1 - 9) to assign them, and then use those icons to re-highlight and navigate them.

Thank you. :)

Often the in-game text (help) isn't as accurate as the manual. For example, the text on a shield generator doesn't mention protection against orbital bombardments. In fact, it's somewhat inaccurate. It says it only prevents lasers from going through it.

Archived