Home

Official "I got the game/First Impressions" Thread.

Jeff

Got the game? Let everyone know about it. If you've gotten the chance to play the game, post your first impressions here too.

Remember to use the

tags when necessary ;) I'll merge any current threads about this topic in here so we can keep things kind of organized :)

My first Impression : awesome.

My impression after 4 hours of playing : nice

My impression after 8 hours of playing : land battles start to be boring, same to the space battles.

Don´t get me wrong: It´s really a nice game but every ground mission is the same, every space battle is the same. And by offering us the possibility to automatically compute the results of a battle there is no real need to actually fight those. Except the storyline missions.

And multiplayer ? well the land battles feel like C&C Generals without ressource management

-> Boring

Sorry I thought it would be cool to play without the ressource management, but now I now : there is something missing.

In my opinion it was a bad idea to leave out the ressource management and to concentrate on the fights.

And the galactic map doesn´t have that much possibilities for me ...

I am really sorry but for me it seems that the whole concept of the game is kind of broting after a while. This is nothing you could fix in a patch.

I´d give it 78 %.

And by offering us the possibility to automatically compute the results of a battle there is no real need to actually fight those. Except the storyline missions.

There is a need to do so, you will lose a lot more units most of the time by auto resolving then by doing the battle yourself, if cash is tight and you can't afford to lose many units, then it's perferable to fight the battles yourself

Nope - not true.

When doing the automatic fight i normally loose between 2 and 6 units.

thats acceptable.

What happens if cash is tight ? The rebelleion or the empire takes away my planets and I have to conquer them again. Again the same battles.

:(

i dont know if its really fair to compare this game to something like C&C.

the styles of games are just too different. C&C is based on commanding a series of linear battles whereas EaW is based on commanding an entire war.

think of it like a realtime Risk.

bad? probably not(i'd say no, but i realize its opinion) different? certaintly(at least for now,.. Battle for Middle Earth 2 sounds very similiar).

Well I just compared it to C&C because thats the most simple but entertaining RTS I know. By comparing them I wanted to say that EaW is even simpler and therefore starts to get boring.

It´s true that you´re fighting a complete war but does that matter when the single battle is boring ? The Galactic map is not so entertaining to compensate this.

realtime risk ? Yeah maybe but Risk also gets boring.

And I wanted to have an entertaining RTS game and now I got something like a RTS experiment that got wrong in some aspects of the game...

I'm thinking part of it may have to do with the fact that you just played Eight hours of gameplay consecutively. Of course the maps are going to get old if 8 of your last 24 hours were spend on the game. There is such a thing as balance in life. Despite my love of Rome Total War, I still get really tired of the game after going on a gaming blitz. The maps are boring, scenarios are all the same! I would say. And then I'd play the game again a day or two later and discover new ways to improve my game, up the difficulty, etc.

All that to say, I seriously doubt that in eight hours, you've carved out all the fascets of the game. Especially with all of the mods on the horizon.

BTW, you nailed it on the head. Risk gets boring...only after you've played it for four hours straight. Same with Axis And Allies. Games get boring. Even the best of the games I've played get boring after over exposure. If EAW can appreciate nearly the fame Risk does, it will be an instant classic. The amount of people I know playing your "boring" Risk is probably at least a hundred. You walk into a dorm, you see people playing risk, axis and allies, etc.

Well these comparisons lead to nowhere.

First : I played a&a for at least 10 hours and it never got boring

Second : I didn´t play eight hours consecutively, I played eight hours from Wednesday til today. And I have to say that it starts to get boring even with several breaks. I enjoyed Generals, AoE3 etc etc for hours.

Third : I played the imperial campaign alone - not together with somebody else, so the comparison with risk is wrong. Risk alone is as boring - together wirh friends its fun. But I expect from a computer game that I can play it alone and have fun.

Forth : I only played Land - battle in mp : And this feels like (sorry for the word) a castracted normal RTS.

Please guys, take your battle to private message (or to a 1x1 skirmish map ;)). All of these opinions are valid even if you disagree. I'm not trying to moderate, just want to make sure the thread doesn't get hijacked.

I think both opinions hold merit. I played for about 5 hours straight yesterday and needed a little break after a while. I still have concerns about not being able to "center" on units during battle: I wanted Boba Fett to attack an A-wing squadron, but I couldn't find him in the battle and wasn't sure whether or not he was close to the A-wings or closer to another unit. This is problematic and requires me to pause the game to hunt down where my specific units are.

Some of the things I really liked included the planets with buildings on them. Occasionally there's a 3-D moment that strikes me as amazing: a walkway bridge between two buildings that towers hundreds of feet in the air which adds remarkable depth; same with stairways and ramps that provide really nice 3-D elements; the cinematic mode allows me to really enjoy the landscape greatly (probably the biggest strength of the game); fell in love with using the TIE mauler to roll over enemy units--the rebels literally crunch under their treads (very nice sound effects)--the TIE maulers earn their name and actually became my absolute favorite anti-infantry unit despite needing to highly micromanage them to get them to squish the rebels. Some of the planetary maps and most of the space maps are fairly small in physical size; this makes the battles very fast paced but kinda short. I did like the space "build pads" that I didn't know existed before the game release; added some very nice proximity defenses around my space stations.

The CE box is beautiful and worth the $10 by itself, IMHO. Very cool. My sons loved the Death Star ball--I've never seen them glom onto a ball with so much love and respect. Ah, the beauty of making my sons love Star Wars! They're 4 and 2, and already know all the battle units. Not sure how my wife feels about this (actually, I do... :)). Love the placard with the strong/weak against data available. Gives a great overview and allows me to more easily plot my strategy.

I have some mild disappointment in the rock-paper-scissors ease of unit v. unit battle. Someone else had mentioned the idea of units gaining XP as they fight making them more intelligent over time. I definitely feel this is a needed enhancement as it would make the game much, much more complex: do you battle your inexperienced units to get them battle-trained or do you train a small number of battle-hardened units to take on overwhelming odds hoping their experience tips the battle. Like that concept. Prima Guide is nice, but thus far adds only a little bit over the game instruction manual. Still reading through it. Found it funny that a guy named Knight wrote the book (Jedi, anyone? ;)). Back to playing...

First Impression:

Another uncompleted, untested piece of **** released before it was ready.

Thanks for nothing Lucas Arts.

You would think that with the millions of dollars and all the time invested in developing this game, that they would have made sure that it wouldn't have all the connection problems that it does. And a patch ready the day it is released? Lame! They knew it wasn't ready!

Another $50 down the drain...when am I ever going to learn?

W.C. Fields was right...there is a sucker born every minute and it's me!

The fact that they bothered to release a patch ASAP to save us grief is noteworthy. Those bugs don't make the game unplayable.

Would you rather they not release a patch? Although it is true that it could have been fixed before being sold, which is indeed a negative point, they still regain some respect for coming up with a fix so quickly.

As to the boredom section, well, I got bored of Warcraft 3 after 1 day. But 3 years later, I can spend a whole day on DoTa, another on Battle for Minas Tirith, another on Card Shuffle, another on Sim City, all mods for WC3.

I'm looking forward to doing simple modding and playing quality mods from other gamers.

Huh Texxxxx

Look it this way... Some games are so instable and they never get the patch tp fix them. Petro showed us however that they worry about their customer base by continuing to test the game even after the copy was declared gold. There is such thing like the marketing pressure and the game called Battle for the Middle Earth 2 which rushed the LA to release the game.

Even so the game has still less bugsthan other games that I've played such as Act of War (after 3d patch the game is still locking up on systems with ATI cards).

Now we can argue with dev about the gameplay or different features that were not implemented and we would like to have them. But we certenly can't argue with about the support for this game.

I mean what's the problem with patch, you was able to download it even before the game hit stores.

Nope - not true.

When doing the automatic fight i normally loose between 2 and 6 units.

thats acceptable.

What happens if cash is tight ? The rebelleion or the empire takes away my planets and I have to conquer them again. Again the same battles.

:(

True, I tested it,

In fights that I used auto resolve I lose 3-6 units when I might lose 0-2 units if I resolve it myself if I fought a similar force.

The Auto resolve is a poor strategist, and if the casualities your occur is acceptable, well.....

It seems to be exactly what it was supposed to be; an RTS based on clasic Star Wars. I don't think there were any unpleasant suprises for me. In fact, I played the demo extensively, and I'm extremely pleased to see the performance improvements between the demo and version 1.01. I can set my graphics much higher now, without affecting game speed.

The first thing I did after installing was run the tutorial, just to see it. When the first ground map loaded up, it was raining. The sound effects are amazing on a full EAX sound card like the Audigy2.

The strategy of the gameplay reminds me of the first PC version of the board games Axis and Allies and Risk2. Strategic map with limited lanes of travel. Stacks of units on each map tile, and you only get to use what you bring with you when combat starts. Many people are complaining about the combat, but I like it this way. It makes you think harder about where to attack and where to defend. It's the positioning and distribution of your forces that matter most, like chess. I can't wait to try 1v1 campaign this weekend. I'm trying the single player modes first.

"and if the casualities your occur is acceptable, well....."

... well that means that there is no real need for me to fight those battles.

Why should I fight if I can compute those battles ???

The units I lost don´t cost that much so I think there´s something wrong within the gamne itself.

Ah .. by the way : For all the bug-lovers:

Besides two matches on Feb .the 15th I wasn´t able to play once in multiplayer because EaW disconnects instantly!

And I don´t care if there are better games for mp - mp is in the game and it HAS to work.

Archived