Home

What would like to see in an expansion?

popcorn2008

Have any useful suggestions for petro? Post 'em here! Well after playing around and all that good stuff I have a few suggstions for an expansion myself:

1. It would be nice to be able to sell buildings during tactical play, to raise money. Though not a priority it would be a nice feature.

2. Have a "blockade run" ability, similar to retreat. Though this would be similar to a raid fleet it is different. For example, the rebels have blocked an imperial world. The imps can send units to the space and initiate a battle. But they should include minimal defense with these troops to protect them. They can then initiate a "blockade run" which will count down similar to the retreat timer, but it would be longer. While this count downs all transports cannot be controlled, but capital and fighters can be. If succesful then the troops go to the surface, and all left over capital ships and any surplus troops retreat to a system. This would be a great feature for rebs or imps, espcially for rebs who have to many units to do a raid fleet. BUT this cannot be used on enemy systems only those under your control that are blockaded. Whew :D

3. Ability to retreat individual units, in space. Sometimes I want to retreat an individual ship before it blows. This would be a fun ability.

4. More space obstacles. Black Holes *cough* :)

If I think of any more suggestions ill add them ;)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL for one...

Tie Interceptors and Bwings.. etc

Perhaps Assualt frigs, and maybe VIC IIs, IMP IIS

and a lancer frigate would be nice

I cant say to much mroe since i wont get my copy tell frday, so i dont know whats all goin to be in it.. and whats not

I personally wouldnt mind havin some type of a damage system IE- Ship takes days to repair.. .not instant which is not realistic @ all

Some kind of diplomatic feature...

Having the rebels walkin into any planet not occuiped by the imps and land some troops and take control by force doesnt feel right to me...

Proably cause am a Rebellion fan, and in that game neutral planets didnt take kindly in being walked all over.

Expansion? Clone wars or Thrawn and all ofcourse :D

As for patching things...

* Being able to retreat individual ships woud indeed be great.

* Look at Rebellion - more hero's and they can actually die or be captured. Especially the latter meant a huge immersion for me.

* Bit more diplomacy would be nice.

* More different ships.

* Let me burn a forest :)

Ok here it goes :

1. Make possible for troops to hide in the forest area and to pass trough.

2. Bombers are way too powerfull. A single run can take out entire building whereas AA gun can take out only a single bomber.

3. AT-ST should be immune to fire from laser soldiers you have the plex soldiers for that purpose

4. Implement dispersal command for infantry. The way it is now any walker or Tie-Crawler just take out an entire squad without single problem

5. Don't launch bombers and fighters automaticly when the battle starts instead let us control that part of the game. There is no point of launching fighters and bobmers when the patrol ship is in the area or the cruiser

6. AT-AT should be immune to the laser fire from soldiers. In the movie they were unable to stop it with lasers from turrets and from snow speeders. Once again we have plex soldiers for anti armor mission

7. Give us the option to make our own choice on units which will start the battle. I beleive you when you say that you passed your time tweaking the engine to have the mix of the best units which start the battle but I prefer making my own choice. After all I'm commanding the fleet in the battel not the computer.

8. Galactic map should have choke points. We should have the planets of strategic importance which are placed at the crossroad of the hyperspace network. If the player decide not to use the secured hyperspace route then it should be a percenteg of chance that he/she will loose a part of its fleet and/or that the voyage will be slowed down.

9. For the expension you should add clone wars and the expended univers.

Cheers

7. Give us the option to make our own choice on units which will start the battle. I beleive you when you say that you passed your time tweaking the engine to have the mix of the best units which start the battle but I prefer making my own choice. After all I'm commanding the fleet in the battel not the computer.

I cant stress the above enough. The ability to choose my own starting forces would have been a great option. As it is, i have to wait for some units to die before I can put together my "first choice" for starting units.

1. All the blue higlighted features and improved/fixed the orange ones of FC ( http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=159331&highlight=Force+Commader )

2. Better maps, more strategic, bigger galactic map

3. Formations, many option to suite the game to our needs like automatic on/off (of every kind), persistent damage etc

4. Elaborating on Breiti's suggestion, i'd like to be able to see/build on the planet's surface and on space maps, without the necessity to have a battle initiated to do so.

5. Some diplomacy features!!!

I'd like to see a system where you can pick and choose which units go into the first attack and individual unit withdrawl, this allows you to create a force which can go in and find the enemy as well as determine their strength, then you can cal in reinforcements to help destroy individual units, then say, tell the Star Destroyer to withdraw and then call in your Broadside Cruisers to launch their missle attacks on the enemy positions... As you tell the units to individually with draw there would be a timer which would not allow you to call them back into play for like 30 to 60 seconds, just so no one withdraws, then recalls it elsewhere....

Nakatomi,

I like your spin on single unit retreating. It feels like something Thrawn would do. Send in a small scouting force, then call in the Cruisers to barrage the enemy position, then when the enemy pursues the cruisers you retreat them and pounce with Star Destroyers. After a 2 minute cooldown the cruisers can be called back to barrage the enemy space station. Although with single ship retreating I think the retreat countdown should extend some to give the enemy a good chance to disable/destroy the ship. Otherwise I see big battles turning into a retreat fest to constantly bring in fresh ships. This simply never happened in Star Wars and could negatively effect gameplay.

After playing a bit, I came up with these :

1. The game would really win by drawing features from Rebellion. Rebellion is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated game in computer gaming history. Give Empire at War the diplomatic features of Rebellion, and it would be a killer game.

2. Bigger maps : they are a bit too small for my liking, especially the space maps.

3. Like Orao said, the Empire should be able to decide when to launch fighters and bombers. It really bugs me when my bombers get damaged/destroyed right after hyperspacing in.

4. Special missions such as espionnage and sabotage (like in Rebellion) would also greatly enhance the galactic conquest mode.

Some more things I would think would be nice:

1. Land Placement of Units - When you zoom into a planet, somewhere in the view you should add a map of the land. Maybe in the location of the mini map. And on this map would be designation numbers such as 1, 2, 3, etc. This are locations you can put units at, if you put a unit in a certain slot on the garrison squares. This way you can strategically place units. Would be fun :)

2. Fleet population - I think it would be a good feature to have the game display how much population cap a space fleet uses just along side where it says Fleet 1, 2, 3. This way I know when I go over the initial 20.

My only requests are the following:

1. Reduced difficulty on Easy for more enjoyable gameplay

2. Custom Game mode, where you can start from scratch with both sides having a single planet and no defenses or ships with random events

3. Reduce the AI's forces and max capacity on easy to make it more fun and enjoyable (it is the easy difficulty after all, it is meant to be easy)

Hey DarkLord check this.

Click on the rebel planet and you will see the circle. The circle tells you where the fleet from that planet can travel. If you want to prevent any attack from rebels just place your fleet adjascent to their system and their fleet will trigger the tactical combat whenever the AI tries to attack some of your planets.

However I've just noticed one thing. When you run the blockade on the planet your opponent is still making money from that planet. It's pretty stupid since all the trade is now controled by you on the blocated planet.

Hey DarkLord check this.

Click on the rebel planet and you will see the circle. The circle tells you where the fleet from that planet can travel. If you want to prevent any attack from rebels just place your fleet adjascent to their system and their fleet will trigger the tactical combat whenever the AI tries to attack some of your planets.

However I've just noticed one thing. When you run the blockade on the planet your opponent is still making money from that planet. It's pretty stupid since all the trade is now controled by you on the blocated planet.

Well, i am more talking about when it gets to ground combat, the AI knows exactly what i have and always has the exact counters to them, its so annoying, its what put me off of Homeworld 2.

The difficult should be reduced SEVERELY on Easy.

What I would like to see is a more involved ground combat. Ground combat can get tedious, boring and repetitive.

One thing I liked about C&C Generals was the "urban" combat options. The ability to fortify an abandoned building w/ your troops was a great way to create defensive points so your main army can advance to them.

Also, the ability to pile your infantry units into fast moving transports to get them from point A to B quicker was also a great idea. Perhaps implement a transport like the flying ones we saw in Attack of the Clones during the Geonosian Battle. Would be a great way to implement rapelling troops onto building rooftops, or quick behind enemy lines insertions.

Last but certainly not least, the ability to increase your units battle "experience" made you use your troops more strategically, b/c the more enemy units you kill with them the more battle efficient they got.

Urban combat doesn't exist in EaW, it's all based on open terrain combat. It's like the Revolutionary and Civil War with StarWars units.......

Also, I posted a thread on the Demo Feedback http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=159847

I love the game but there are some things I think would make the game go from great to legendary.

1) Right now the glatic map feels too stale to me.

ways to fix it:

a) some news reports or chatter at the glatic level keeping you informed to what is happening. Especially if your the Rebels. think of it as a Toyko Rose like broadcast.

b) add a level of diplomacy to the game like previously mentioned where in you recieve messages from neutral planets wishing to join your side or need your protection from the other faction. Mini missions you dont have to do if you dont want to. See I feel that the Stategic Map is too free form, key victories or defeats carry no real dramatic weight, which is odd do to the fact that this based on one of the greatest movies ever.

c) Heros are wrong right now. Well I mean how you get them is wrong. You should earn them in battle not based on tech levels but they should show up based on your performance and aid you in a battle. there could be a formula to this granted like if you recruit enough bounty hunters you will end up getting the attenion of Bobo Fett.

d) commanders, smugglers, bounty hunders, minor heros deserve names just like the ships. I dont care if their randomly generated I think it adds something, just me.

e) More types of ships, bwings, tie advance, v-wings, clones. I dont care which way they go. I guess if they add the clone wars factions then go forward with the OT, if not I would expand the tech to include ep III-V, maybe b wings/tie advanced, SSD as a hero and a upgrade for the DS to fire on ships like a planetary defense weapon.

f) veterans, I know this may not be practical so my thought is that like how some heros affect a planets production they also affect what can be build. Ex. A planet that Vader is on can now produce Vader's fist/ 501th infantry which are elite Stormies. Speaking of Stormtroopers, their special ability is wrong, Rebel troops should take cover but Stormies should have a rush ability like where they run and shoot. Think the begining of ep IV.

g) clone wars factions, unless they plan to make another whole game like Republic at War or something?

The individual retreat option and the EU units are going to be in a mod called legacy of war http://legacy.gamemod.net/.

So I suggest ppl talk to the devs to see what the modders can do first before the expansion. I talked to them and apperently only petroglyph can put in persistent damage. I don't mean to come off sounding rude but if the mods can address some of the issues I'd rather the mods do it and save the changes in the expansion for things that can only be changed in an expansion. That said what I would like to see in the expansion:

1. PERSISTENT DAMAGE

number one. How can you expect to do hit and run attacks that are only effective if you destroy a ship? Make it so ships can be repaired only at space stations then there is some more depth to space battles. Especially if there is the option to retreat individual units.

2. Make Hero Deaths permanent

Right now its like oh on they destroyed Home One. Oh well see you in 2 mins Ackbar. Instead of oh **** they killed Ackbar I'm screwed.

3. Unit Experience/names

Especially coupled with 2 this would give more immersion. Maybe not experience and names for small fighter which face it are cannon fodder but for the ISD's and maybe VSD. On the same note give me an SSD or some type of ship that is unique and takes damn long to build. So if I lose it I will really feel its loss and the loss of its experienced crew instead of being like oh well guess I'll order another ISD.

4. Diplomacy

I never played Rebellion but if it had a good diplomacy system then put it in. Or something like it.

All of these have been mentioned before but consenus is a good thing. I notice some of the devs reading and writing back and it is appreciated hopefully this features will get into the expansion.

My ideas:

1. Be able to transport troops when ever you'd like not just for retreating

2. Not having your force corrupted units slowly lose health

3. Being able to transport and take force corrupted units in transports

p.s I have a question, if anyone has done skirmish yet. How do you create buildings?the tutorial never tells you. The build pads just build turrents, etc. No command centers etc.

Archived