Home

Cheap AI tactics

Orao

It is possible to build ships while you have room in your pop cap, and then lose planets to the enemy and have a pop cap of 103/87 (for example) I have yet to come even close to the pop cap in the imperial campaign. So if you figure that the rebels own 5 or 6 planets, their pop cap is pretty high. Just my thoughts.

Yes it is possible but as I said before, I had to fight some very large battles before I let the AI only with one planet. And just when I hoped that the last planet will be the piece of cake I came up with this battle. This is why I posted the screenshot here, so the ppl can't tell me that I'm imagining things.

I've noticed that the AI tends to build multiple barracks and vehicle factories on each system it controls. Those buildings add to the pop cap. Maybe it raises it's pop cap early in the game and the massive fleet you're seeing at the end is just consolidated from many planets retreating as you advance.

That's odd...I've never been in a situation quite like that before (playing on medium). The AI certainly does build a lot of corvettes, but I always try to take out their station's hangar early on in the mission to limit their ability to bring in reinforcements (at least, I think it limits their ability to bring in reinforcements...certainly it cuts off the garrison units). 124 Corellian Corvettes, though! That's ridiculous for one battle. Maybe they should look into it.

Remember that you don't need a fleet at every planet, you just need large garrison fleets on the front lines--maybe a second layer or a large core fleet at a central planet in addition, but you certainly don't need to project force into already-secured territory. That can gain you some flexibility. You can also improve your population cap by building or upgrading space stations. Since mines don't 'run out,' the only limiting factor on upgrading all your space stations to allow bigger forces to be built is time.

• 2 weeks later...

Has either of the patches fixed the AI breaking the population cap? I was playing a Galactic Conquest and once I had the Empire down to their last two planets where they had the majority of their ground/space retreated to....it was impossible to continue. I got them down to one planet but they had most of their ground in a space slot and their space....so when we'd battle there were over 100 imperial transports on the screen. I don't know if your computers can handle that action, but mine can't. I tried to suffer the lag to take down as many as I could before the Empire would jump to hyperspace again. But then we'd do it all over again when they landed on my planet next door.

I actually won't get internet until tomorrow...and that's when I'll get the patches at home. Just wondering ahead if this was fixed because in the end I couldn't finish that game.

Yeah...at least it isn't online. :xp:

Most likely.

But even if they were already built, it's not like they had control for most of the game. So with my pop cap at around 150 when I have control of all but 2 planets, how are they having 300 units just in Stormtroopers and Commanders alone?

Again, if that's how it's supposed to be....I guess that's fine. But I can't play the game with that much stuff on the map.

I am just wondering what the heck you were doing attacking a system that had over 150 ships in it. LOL. I think you got the verson of the game shipped to the Parisians. You should bought the game we send to the nice countryside folks. We also send this verson ( in english) to other big city people like New York City also. LOL

I will make sure I do my scouting and you make sure you send this screen shot to the bugs department. Must have been some fight ! Nice work.

This happens to me all the time in the Imperial Campaign. I never have this issue on easy, only on Medium and Hard. Admitably, it makes hard...well, harder, but on Medium it can get ludicrous.

The AI seems to build and build and build at all times. It's build que is ALWAYS full it seems. For example, on the Imperial MIssion for Jabim, as more Rebel bases were revealed, each one had atleast a fleet of 10 Nebulon-B Frigates, 5 Corvettes and 10 Y-Wings. On my most recent battle, towards the end of the Imperial campaign, I engaged ninty four rebels ships. In the end, I had to raise the planet pop cap in the XML to stand a chance. I went there with 100 VSDs. 64 came back.

(No, I have not cheated by adding more ships in the XML, just raised the pop cap so it matches the AIs production levels, balancing my games out more. That and I was rich by careful management of my resources.)

Over the course of the campaign, massive rebel fleets have cost me somewhere around 300 VSDs. That's roughly 900,000 credits spent on building and rebuilding my fleets from devestation. It seems to still be an issue on GC but not as much as it is in the campaigns.(Note, numbers include many auto resolve battles which often have extreme losses well above what would be lost if I commanded the fleets myself) Thank the maker for my high income rates...

Puzzled why that I seen the AI build huge numbers of Mines at the start of the game. They must be rolling in huge sums of cash up to the maximum allowed per turn. That would allow them to afford a huge offensive space fleet at the expense of planetary poor defenses support.

Later in the game, it took back one of my planets I captured from the Rebs, now they are building Ion Cannons. I started at tech level 5. Seems like a good strategy as any.

It almost seems the AI uses a few different attack/defense global plans.

I have one question: When these corvettes kept coming and coming ... had you already taken out the spacestation or?

Cause a level 2 space station and up spawns corellian corvettes aswell, not just fighters.

Garrison kills only register as a Starbase kill. Besides, if you sent in a spy before hand, you'd of probaly seen these numbers. I've engaged systems with 194 rebel ships in earlier today, excluding the garrison...I've never been so thankful for Kuat Shipyards...

I think deppending on difficulty level and the AIs production, the starting deffense fleet at newly revealed planets changes. On easy I find hardly anything. On medium, every fleet consists of atleast 45 ships. Gotta love the Death Star...

• 2 weeks later...
am talknig about GC not skirmish, they know where your base is cause its on the minimap which makes sense since you have the info, but them knowing where your weakest planet is.. like cheating

Yes, although it doesn't seem to do them much good. They keep coming after Dantooine (the planet that I stripped of defenses while setting up for the Mon Cal attack).

I left it with just a space station (max level possible for Dantooine) and an ion cannon on the planet and so far I've fought off two attemtps with at least 2 ISDs/3 VSDs/3 Broadsides/3 Tartans each. The AI is just too simple minded and the ion cannon if used correctly can deprive the entire fleet of shields and keep several ships totally inactive.

I'm playing the Empire on hard and have the Rebels surrounded, but they have a fleet of 150 mon cal cruisers and 100 assault frigates

I control 2/3 of the galaxy, and the AI is still able to build ships, although it's decided to build fleets on other planets of 150 a-wings but those I'm at least able to counter

Archived