Home

Should influence be in K3?

Clone L68362

Do you want KOTOR 3 to have the influence system again?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want KOTOR 3 to have the influence system again?

• Yes, it was creative and I like getting stuff for it
    • No, it was a pain and made the game more complicated
    • Yes, but only if they make it way better

I was just looking at a thread asking how to make the Handmaiden dark side, and how if you treat Visas well she won't like you, and that she doesn't like DS acts. And then I thought that influence was a real pain. You could only train some characters by the time you were almost done, they were awful weak, they didn't act DS-ey is they were DS, stuff like that.

I think influence can be better if they work on it a LOT more. Definitely could use fixing.

I think they should have Influence in KOTORIII if they improve it.

For example, if you are Light Side and someone in your Party is Dark Side, they should try to turn you to the Dark Side.

Rewards should also be improved. For example you should get information on a Party Member's past. But they shouldn't just not talk to you for the rest of the game. They should always have something to say.

I thought the influence system was a very interesting feature that added to game replayability and/or frustration (if it wasn't going the way you wanted). I liked the idea of unlocking certain stories if you acted a certain way, or being able to turn party members into Jedi when you got enough influence. You can never have too many Jedi in a party....I've enjoyed replaying the game to see what happens if I increase/decrease influence with certain party members.

I think they could tweak it a bit and make it even better, but I hope they keep it in K3.

Personally, I found it stupid. Because everything ends with that.

Their stories ended quickly anyway once you reached a certain influence point, whether or not they became Jedi. I thought this was one of the unfortunate aspects of the game--you got their stories all at once near the beginning instead of spread out in pieces throughout the game. This meant you didn't have much interesting conversation with them anytime after that, which meant you didn't have any influence opportunities after that, either. If they tied influence into unlocking other stories (like they did with Kreia) and not just turning them into Jedi, I think many of us would have liked that better. For instance, I'm sure that Bao-Dur had some interesting war stories and Atton had some more stories from his past, eh, occupation, too, that could have been explored. This is the thing I would tweak, but overall I enjoyed the concept.

I voted yes only if they made it better. What had been suggested before was that an NPC in your party try to turn you to the opposite of your alignment and that I would go for because this LS/DS system is supposed to reflect the conflict within a person to make a choice. Make the influence more believeable.

I think the "party members can become Jedi"-thing was a nice idea but it was really lousy implemented. I think the way it was done makes the player manipulative - it made me... Ever since I noticed that party members can become Jedi, I never leveled them up until they were Jedi. I think it would be better if it wouldn't depend on the story (their alignment could depend on it though) and there shouldn't be an advantage in saving their level-ups. The party members were too anxious also, too easily influenced - they should be more stable. The only proper Jedi in the party who gave the impression as if he was in peace with the world and himself was ... Jolee in K1. In K2 the player was more a nurse than a leader to them...

The influence system should be "hybrid". I say drop the influence and make it opinion. More like in K1 the party should have to say something until the very end and some dialogues should be triggered only by chance. And I don't want to hear things like "I don't want to talk about it" (at least not so often). The influence (opinion now) should determine *what* they tell me and not *if* they tell me...

I tell you people, even with Achilles' awesome influence guide the whole thing was a real pain to keep track of. Trying to figure out who to have in your party for what parts of what planets and all so you could maximize influence... Ach, me achin' head! :fist:

So yeah, what most everyone else has said that likes the influence idea but feels that it needs improvement if used in the next KotOR.

I think more than anything they need to have more possible endings. Influence determines a lot with an ending, like if you're light and they're dark, would they turn on you? If you're dark and they're light, would they leave, could you kill them if you felt like it (at a certain point, maybe, when all possible storylines had ended with them)... it's so much that it almost makes it impossible to do. There are so many variations to the game they could add to make it better, but it'd take forever.

i liked the concept a lot, but even if they turned all "Dark" they still acted light.

I totally agree. Bao-Dur, Brianna, and Mical really drove me nuts when they said they joined the Dark Side, yet when you did a dark act, they freaked out. That needs to change when they decide to follow you completely.

The influence system just needs a little polish, also they need to have parts of the NPC's dialog story done like it was in KotOR I (you got them as you progressed the story) and parts that can only be unlocked by influence.

Then you don't get all the NPC's dialogue at once, and get bonus tidbits from your influence on them as well.

The only other thing that needs a little tweaking is alignment based dialog responses, like if you corrupt a basic LS NPC to the DS they need to have DS dialog comments instead when you do things in the game.

All just small tweaks and nothing too impossible to do either.

Basically it isn't the Influence system that needs any adjustment, just the usage of it by the game and the dialogues that does.

Yes, the Influence should, nay, must return for KOTOR3. Polished up and tweeked perhaps, but not discarded. Leaders have large impacts on the morale of their followers, and this should play a significant role in the story. I would like to see a change however.

In K2 for instance, your allies alignment was almost completly relative to your own, how much influence you had with them, and whether or not you became a Jedi Master or Sith Lord. This was acceptable in K2 because of the Exile's unique relation to the Force and Force bonds, but this needs to change. People don't fall to the dark side or follow the light path by accident, they have to choose it.

A good example would be from K1, and Juhani's decision to resist the dark side or to strike down Xor. Revan can convince Juhani to go either way on this decision, but ultimately it doesn't change the outcome at all. Now if this were a pivotal moment in her character's development, this could've effected the story in a variety of ways down the road. Say like turning Juhani to the dark side on the Rakatan temple summit?

I agree with more or less everyone else. The influence system was great, but it was frustrating when ,for an example, the Handmaiden was dark sided, but still acted good. Party members should have a border, and if they are on the light side, thay act like light side, and if they are on the dark side they act like dark side. Possibly it could also be a grey zone. They should also add the ability to lie, or be more manipulating, so that you can gain influence on characters of the opposite alignment, without gaining LS/DS-points. Think of a Sith Lord who slowly manipulates his companions through lies, until they are DS too

Influence is a real good feature that makes the game more realistic. Come on, not everybody is willing to share all about his past with someone they don't trust or like, for that matter. And again, if you don't like the system, you can always edit your savegame to set influences to 100 (I hope a KSE-like tool will be developed for KOTOR III!)

it was a nice system. It made you feel you actually needed to do something for their friendship :p

TO bad it was done so little. You can make diciple a jedi in 1 conversation, for example.

Also, although their alignement will change, they will keep their opinions.

My Bao-Dur was as Darkasided as can be, but he still lost influence as i bashed a innocent man in the face.

They should fix that, that they realy could be corrputed by Dark side/Light side, and change their behaviour.

Archived