Home

My EAW Review

MasterJack

Well, I have played the game through the campaigns and some skirmish modes and I have to say I am very disapointed.

The major problems are:

(1) terrible pathfinding for the AI

(2) ALL maps are too small

(3) assigned locations for buildings and structures is terrible and takes 98% of the strategy out of the land games. Every map plays the same, AI comes down the 1 or 2 paths to your base and attacks

(4) both space and land battles are all the same-repeats and plays the same no matter where you are

(5) the rock/paper/scissors way the units counter each other means you attack or defend with the same units each and every time

(6) AI is dumb as dirt

On the plus side the hero's are nice as is the graphics.

If this wasn't a Star Wars game it would flop as a RTS. I enjoy playing with the units from starwars but would have much prefered a build where you want system. The maps are way to small and too much of them is unpassable leaving only 1 or 2 routes to take leaving no strategy other than picking the units to attack based on the rock/paper/scissors system. Every map plays the same.

If they decide to patch the hell out of this game it could be great. Remove the build pads, improve the AI, much bigger maps and better pathfinding. This will make the game a keeper. As it stands now its not worth the 50 bucks.

What we really needed was a standard RTS game with the heros and star wars units. The former Westwood employees dropped the ball. Lets hope they can fix it with a huge patch or an add-on expansion. I am sure the mods will make this game a keeper but I didn't pay 50 bucks to have to fix the game myself. Its still the best Starwars RTS out there, but that is not saying much. It is far far away from being a great RTS.

I give it a 5 out of 10.

ps I am a huge star wars fan and an rts junkie, so please don't flame me about that.

Well thats my 2 cents worth, flame away.

I agree with alot of the criticism about the technical bugs however i do not find that it being not like other RTS to be a problem, i think its refreshing from my point of veiw. the rock/paper/scissors in space and be easily remidied (i can give you examples in another post, this in just gonna be general of stuff i agree and dont agree). i lvoe the fact the many units are based on squads tactics and not unit spmamming and winning by sheer number (and yes i know one can get an over abundment of ties but thats not what i mean.)

I think a well rounded force makes perfect sense, even against a smaller fleet.

though you cant say that always. from the rebel side you can scout planetery defenses and ive come to find out that i dont have to send in a major fleet, i could just divert a few fighter and 2 alliance frigates when finding the enemy has only 3 missle bots and a few tartan frigates. or in the case of them having a 2 victory class sd i sent 3 x-wings 2 a-wings and 3 missleboats and won (used a-wings lure on bombers and fighters just skirting far away enough from the sd's so the missleboats could kite them, took some work) this made it possible for me to divert heavy hitters like moc cals to defend my borders.

And i think you should give them some credit of how well they did with galaxy over lay and its many options and tool they give you. everyone says it needs some tweeking but all the same i bet you felt some nostalga finding how very useful ways of taking over the galaxy. It was impressive i think.

i think the problem is alot of people wanted it to be like any other AOE or Total War and even HomeWorld. thankfully its not, i didnt wanna pay for this if it was just a starwars clone of those two games

I agree with almost everything you said, except your complain about fixed building locations, thats fine because else everybody would just build his base where the Enemy has to enter first and will kill him off immediately.

And if you want a standard rts with star wars units then there is battlegrounds (or how it was called)

I agree with almost everything you said, except your complain about fixed building locations, thats fine because else everybody would just build his base where the Enemy has to enter first and will kill him off immediately.

And if you want a standard rts with star wars units then there is battlegrounds (or how it was called)

I really expected a story and some surprise. Why do we have figures like R2D2 doing, when they are not worth their money ?

Hmmm... there could be "R2D2 an C3PO managed to get control on one of our StarDestroyers get them and Han Solo out" or "The Millenium Falcon has been spotted on enemy territory. Lets rush for them"

What I want to say - playing has no surprise. Anyone kows Unreal 1 ? Going down the floor and the light is off and You are attacked ?

Back to EAW: Surprise 1: Heroes appear (e.g. attack from Jedis ?)

Surprise 2: Dynamic Reinforcement Points for both sides - what the hell 2 ATATs set down in front of me ?

Surprise 3: local people - hey 20 wookiws are supportiung me or give me extra abilities (fog of war disappears, different weapons than standard)

Surprise 4: ground - traps, holes, fire etc.

Surprise 5: Sudden Reinforcements from Pirates :D, Astroids (" do not concern me at the moment" ;-) )

Where are the typical Star wars gadgets ? In every episode I am used to get some special surprise (gangngens, under water towns, Siths, traitors, etc.) and thats missing for me ... come on ... where is the expansion :-)

Battlegrounds has terrible graphics, no physics, and terrible pathfinding. I would have preferred a AOEIII version of Star Wars. Just my opinion.

Another good thing about the game is the galactic map but with the other flaws it doesn't have much of an impact

Did you even play Command and Conquer, where was the rock-paper-scissors gameplay? It was just different units doing different damage values, not different damage types. As for the other stuff, the only problem i have with the game is the below-standard AI. Seems that you are looking for a different kind of game, that doesnt mean this one isnt good.

Gotta agree with all of what is said here.. the maps are too small and restrictive (and all basically the same - where have the cool map designs from the C&C / redalert series gone?).. the non-existant AI just spams vettes in space and MRLS on the ground.. also doesnt seem to obey the same rules with regards to unit limits. Its really only held up by the gfx - though if im going to be brutally honest even on max they dont seem as good as RomeTotal War - and thats what over a year old now?

Overall Dawn of War still holds the RTS crown for me. And RomeTW for large scale strategy.

Did you even play Command and Conquer, where was the rock-paper-scissors gameplay? It was just different units doing different damage values, not different damage types. As for the other stuff, the only problem i have with the game is the below-standard AI. Seems that you are looking for a different kind of game, that doesnt mean this one isnt good.

Yes played all the C+C games, loved them. Not looking for a different game, just looking for a great Starwars RTS. This isn't it.

You know, many people have leveled the "rock-paper-scissors units" criticism at this game, but I don't really find that to be precisely true. "Rock-paper-scissors" implies that there is Unit A, which is an anti-Unit-B squad; Unit B kills Unit C, and Unit C kills Unit A, and none is much good for anything else. Empire at War doesn't really have specific settings for which units kill which--sure, it let's you KNOW what your units' strengths are, but that's not ALL they're good for. The direct "rock-paper-scissors" relationships are limited to real-world sorts of strengths and weaknesses: capital ships are vulnerable to bombers; anti-fighter craft...well...kill fighters; space superiority fighters kill other fighters; bigger capital ships kill smaller capital ships. That's exactly how it SHOULD work, and it's not quite so rigid as to be truly rock-paper-scissors. I've heard people complain, "this system forces me to have a balanced fleet!" Bull. Balanced fleets are usually better in any case.

You know, many people have leveled the "rock-paper-scissors units" criticism at this game, but I don't really find that to be precisely true. "Rock-paper-scissors" implies that there is Unit A, which is an anti-Unit-B squad; Unit B kills Unit C, and Unit C kills Unit A, and none is much good for anything else. Empire at War doesn't really have specific settings for which units kill which--sure, it let's you KNOW what your units' strengths are, but that's not ALL they're good for. The direct "rock-paper-scissors" relationships are limited to real-world sorts of strengths and weaknesses: capital ships are vulnerable to bombers; anti-fighter craft...well...kill fighters; space superiority fighters kill other fighters; bigger capital ships kill smaller capital ships. That's exactly how it SHOULD work, and it's not quite so rigid as to be truly rock-paper-scissors. I've heard people complain, "this system forces me to have a balanced fleet!" Bull. Balanced fleets are usually better in any case.

I agree that a balanced fleet is better, however in this game its the same fleet for every map, every time. Same battles over and over and over on tiny little maps with terrible pathfinding.

Am I one of the only ones that enjoyes this game????

I am really starting to wonder. People like you make me deprsed :(

i enjoy the game,i dont think there anything bad about the game.its awesome.mpas are awesome too and their big enough for me too.i wouldnt change anything to this game :D.

and i very doubt that they are going to remove the build pads, leave them there i'll show u how to us ethem ;)

Archived