Home

KOTOR Comic series discussion thread

Prime

Just read issue 13 (the one with Jarael, Zayne and HK on the cover).

Once again it's a different artist, this time Dustin Weaver. I don't mind that Brian Ching isn't working exclusively on the book, but I do wish they had more consistency in the art - it's annoying that Zayne looks so different in every book.

The training fight between Jarael and Zayne is a highlight, and it works well when Jarael and Camper take off, and Jarael has to say goodbye to Zayne. "May the force be with you," she says, and Zayne just stands behind watching them fly away and then goes, "The force is fine... but I would have preffered some company..." - very good.

Otherwise it's mostly the usual sort of story with Gryph getting himself and Zayne into trouble through his usual antics. Good fun. I'm not sure I liked Slyssk so much, though. I don't mind a trandoshan, but to give them lifedebts is just disappointing, when it's such a copy from the Wookiees'.

People shouldn't get too excited about HK, though. Then again, it's only the first chapter of the "Days of Fear" arc, so it's impossible to say if the plot will be any good.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked issue 15. It had a bit of a shock ending (which I won't spoil), and I'm in two minds as to whether I prefer it to have the sad ending that is implied or not.

Oh, and note the information we learn about Alek/Squint. At the end of "Flashpoint", he wore padawan spacesuit that the masters saw the coming sith threat wear. Around the same time, we saw this mysterious, hooded jedi urge the council toward spy missions against the Mandalorians. In issue 15, we see Alek/Squint talk to a hooded jedi just as they both sense the attack Serocco, while calling the hooded jedi, master...

That surely doesn't disprove the theory that Alek/Squint might be Malak, and that the mysterious, hooded jedi is Revan.

And yes, the series IS picking up. John Jackson Miller has done an excellent job of chronicling the Mandalorian Wars and filling in the blanks with his own sidestory. It'll be very interesting to see what happens next, even though we know how the war must play out. Where will Zayne stand in all of this, for example?

Oh, and I loved the way they used Carth in issue 15. Loyal and good-natured, yet without getting into trouble with Karath, who is even now a complete control-freak with fascist overtones.

That surely doesn't disprove the theory that Alek/Squint might be Malak, and that the mysterious, hooded Jedi is Revan.

I thought Malak and Revan were both Knights, and Malak begrudgingly accepted the rank of apprentice after they declared themselves Sith?

Also, I know its artistic license, but Isn't Malak like 6'10 with head tattoos (dantooine/korriban Vision's)

I thought Malak and Revan were both Knights, and Malak begrudgingly accepted the rank of apprentice after they declared themselves Sith?

Also, I know its artistic license, but Isn't Malak like 6'10 with head tattoos (dantooine/korriban Vision's)

Yes, but those are years later. Clearly Alek/Squint has already undergone some change. He has full, black hair in issue 0 (and seems pretty taller than Zayne to me), yet in the "Flashpoint" ark, his hair thin to the point of being almost bald, and in the one panel we see him in issue 15, he has no hair at all. And this all takes place years before Revan and Malak found the first starmaps, so Alek/Squint could change considerably before that comes to pass.

Another thing that struck is that Alek/Squint tells Zayne in issue 0 that his master is an acquaintance of Lucien, Zayne's master. Also, Squint is on his way to the front and tries to recruit Zayne for the war - clearly he is one of the jedi crusaders, just like Malak and Revan, and one of the early ones at that.

Then, in issue 9, the hooded figure that seems to be Squint's master in issue 15, is berated by the council, and particularly Vrook, for involving other knights and padawans, suggesting that this person is somehow responsible for it. Given that Revan later split the order on this very issue, that would seem consistent. And as the figure leaves, he/she meets Lucien, who says "we meet again." When Lucien later leaves the jedi tower, he uses the word "revanchism" in a conversation with his fellow jedi. Somehow that seems to me as if the author is making a clue, suggesting further that this mysterious figure is Revan.

And when the nuclear blasts hit Serocco in issue 15, we see several people notice it across the galaxy. Among them Q'anilia and Lucien. Lucien seems to only sense something, while Q'anilia can tell him what it is. This would be consistent with her greater ability for force visions. However, Squint also notices along with several other and mentions it to his master, who just says "I feel it, I feel it" as he/she bends over, as it is more painful or noticeable to him/her. This would be consistent, I think, with the notion that Revan was one of the more powerful forceusers of his/her time.

Yes, all speculation. Complete conjecture. But that panel in issue 15 sure didn't do much to dispel my guesses so far... Quite the contrary. Then again, it could also be deliberately placed red herring.

^^

I completely agree, I drew similar Ideas from what we have seen so far, although, my first thought when reading # 9 was that the hooded figure was Kreia. As you say it is a while before KOTOR and squint could go get tattoos, it's just Alek is a bit close to Malak. as you said probably a red herring.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the first part was obvious, but the second doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Did he take roids and have a growth spurt?

But this series is starting to come into its own, and is now greatly integrated into the universe the games created.

• 2 months later...

What happened to Jarael in "Days of Fear/Nights of Anger/Daze of Hate" storyline? From the very beginning of the KOTOR comics, she is portrayed as a noble warrior type with plenty of go-getter attitude, guts and streetsmarts and from issue 13 and forward she has been transformed into this meek victim, idiot... who clearly can't think even the simplest thought for herself.

...or perhaps it's the writers homage to the change Amidala went through between Ep2 and Ep3?

What happened to Jarael in "Days of Fear/Nights of Anger/Daze of Hate" storyline? From the very beginning of the KOTOR comics, she is portrayed as a noble warrior type with plenty of go-getter attitude, guts and streetsmarts and from issue 13 and forward she has been transformed into this meek victim, idiot... who clearly can't think even the simplest thought for herself.

...or perhaps it's the writers homage to the change Amidala went through between Ep2 and Ep3?

Well, she is inflicted with the Love Bug... an uncurable disease (painkillers like shotguns not withstanding), just like RL.

• 1 year later...

Archived