Home

Do capital ship turrets DO anything?

I managed to shoot down a fighter once with the machine-gun-like turret. Aside from that, they seem pretty much useless, especially the heavy beam turrets that shoot the single death-star-like beam. Those things do basically nothing.

Plus, the range on them doesn't seem long enough to hit other ships and if they do hit, they sure don't seem to be doing any damage. IE: you can't hurt a frigate with the entire firepower of a cruiser.

I have occasionally seen the shield damage animation when shooting at the opposing capital ship with a turret, but the amount of damage is so negligible as to be pointless. Usually anything other than the front-most turret on the ship (and this is assuming the ships are head-to-head) won't even have the reach to show the animation.

I've had a middling degree of success with all of the other varieties of turret though... with good aim the beam turret can drop an A-Wing or X-Wing in two or three hits.

The beam turret seems to be the most useless to me. It'd be perfect vs. enemy capital ships, but hitting three times on an enemy fighter? Good luck. That thing will be long gone if it's being flown by a human pilot.

the "machine gun" turret seems to do reasonably well vs. fighters, but the damage is again pretty low.

Mostly, the turrets seem pretty pointless and I hardly ever see bombers attacking cap ships anyway. You're better off using a few interceptors around the capital ship to take out bombers, which seems to be what everyone does anyway.

>sigh< Another disappointing aspect of space combat in this game. :(

The machine gun turret is great if you want to rack up kills easily - just keep the turret aimed at your oponents docking bay, and you can eaily nail every single ship that leaves. You might need to practice with the gun to get used to it, but it's fairly effective, just don't forget to zoom in.

It's a pretty cheap tactic though, and is usually frowned upon.

I had no idea you could even zoom with the guns. I still think the beam one is pretty pointless, and the slow laser one sucks. The machinegun is probably the only useful one. Eh, space combat seems a little overly hyperactive to me anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
the ai is horrible tho

they sproticly change from uber sharpshooter who hs you at 100000000000000000000 miles away while your bunny hopping to a 1st grader with a heavy assult rifle ie they cant do crap with it

in english please?

actually, the turrets cause me quite a bit of grief, so i just head into their hangar using a transport or bomber (lots of armour) and blow the auto turret defence up from inside. :) doesnt kill all of them, but they dont cause a problem after that.

• 3 months later...
in english please?

actually, the turrets cause me quite a bit of grief, so i just head into their hangar using a transport or bomber (lots of armour) and blow the auto turret defence up from inside. :) doesnt kill all of them, but they dont cause a problem after that.

In elitism please?

He spelled one word incorrectly.

• 3 weeks later...
The machine gun turret is great if you want to rack up kills easily - just keep the turret aimed at your oponents docking bay, and you can eaily nail every single ship that leaves. You might need to practice with the gun to get used to it, but it's fairly effective, just don't forget to zoom in.

It's a pretty cheap tactic though, and is usually frowned upon.

Unless they're playing CIS, they can just go out the other side :p

• 5 months later...

Capital ship turrets are effective in the hands of a hardened veteran. Repeating Blaster Turrets (the machine gun type ones) are most effective at destroying enemy Multi-Purpose Starfighters and Scout Class Fighters. Heavy Ship Cannons / Heavy Turrets are best employed against enemy shields and emplacements, and Particle Cannon Turrets are best against Attack Transport Flyers and Bombers. Defend your Auto-Turret Defense Mainframe as well. The auto turrets are excellent against most classes.

Archived