Home

Very basic question

bullcan

I have never played SWG before and truthfully do not plan on it at this time, but may in the future. I do get everything and anything related to star wars continuity, so I have the "full story" so to speak ( books, comics, video games, movies, etc. ).

My question is: Is there any reason for me to but SWG just to get any star wars continuity? Is there anything on the disks like any scenes or anything or do you have to sign up to do anything at all?

• 3 weeks later...

It's a good SW experience, if you do play SW. I'm talking roleplay baby hehe. It's the power players who are whining constantly. If you're into Star Wars, and you like to roleplay, then SWG is the game for you. You can join my clone trooper guild on Kettemoor if you like, pm me for details :)

It is not just the power players, thankyou.

Hear is a link to the most concise report on the whole thing that I've ever read:

http://mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm?load=forums&loadforum=433&loadthread=70831&setstart=1&loadclass=103&fp=1024,768,2067942390,20060315013326

If you get SWG, you're better off not having played it before. Personally, I'd advise against giving SOE any of your money. Some people who have quit will no longer buy a LA game either, but LA has been involved with plenty of fine games. SOE has frelled both incarnations of EQ as well as SWG, and this is why Smedley is considered to be some sort of devil creature while people still only blame Lucas for the the prequels (and Greedo shooting first of course).

If you want more of my personal opinions, feel free to go read Obten's Emotes at swg.stratics.com. Not that I'm plugging myself, since I'm not writing that stuff anymore...

Basically if you want continuity ala books/movies, SWG butchers that. Jedi is a playable profession that is available to everyone from the get go. You'll be seeing Jedi running around everywhere.

RP wise... yeah you can always RP, but you'll be stuck trying to find others that are in SWG looking for the same thing you are. If you can find a guild of RP'ers great, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone out and about looking to RP openly.

Why are you reading so many bad reviews... well it's because the core game is bad. Many quests from day 1 are still bugged. The combat system and combat abilities of the professions are not complete. I could go on, but there is no need, you have read the reviews and what you have read is true.

I was not a power-gamer by any stretch of the imagination, but I did unlock my Jedi pre-Publish 9 because that was my goal. I was in a guild with over 70 members and of those 20 were very active. Many were crafters of sorts, some RP'd and a few were into guild PvP'ing and defending the guilds bases around Avalon. That guild was destroyed in 2 weeks when the NGE came in. Of all the active people from the guild only 3 remain in SWG today and 1 of them is waiting for his account to run out.

It's sad what has happened to SWG and many of us hope that there will be a Pre-NGE or Pre-CU server released so we can jump onto that one... even if that were to mean we'd have to start fresh. It would be worth it again.

Archived