Home

Boll to call it Quits?

Lightsaberboy

That's right, folks. After 'Farcry", Uwe Boll is might stop making video-game movies!

http://psp.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148099&did=1

my favorite line from the article:

"The dangerous thing right now is that a lot of people bash me without thinking about the movies. It's fashionable to hit on Uwe Boll, and this is what I don't get. And I don't get why this comes so harshly from the games press."

I find it funny that he doesn't understand why people don't like him.

offtopic: 800th post! YAY!

Hmmm...Why do gamers like to bash Uwe Boll? Well...let's see.... Maybe it has to do with the fact that he takes video game plot lines and just completely trashes them to the point that they don't even look like the game to begin with. The sooner this guy just quits making movies in general, the better.

I wonder if Germany closed its tax loophole he was using then...

EDIT: HA! They did! There's your reason he's quitting. :D

Talking about Postal seems to have cheered Boll up a bit, so let's throw in a tricky question while the going's good. Is there any truth in those rumours that Boll has been exploiting a tax loophole in German law to fund his films, and to provide a dodgy tax break for investors?

"There is no loophole," Boll says - at least not any more, it seems. He explains the situation used to be that if you invested, say, $100,000 in a movie, you could reduce the income you pay tax on by $100,000. As a result of this, German investors funded around 30 per cent of Hollywood movies, but all that's changed since the law was amended in December.

Here's my favorite part of the interview. I've never seen one of his films, so I'm pretty impartial on the subject of whether or not his films are good, but he makes a very nice argument for himself and his work here: "And besides, says Boll, what exactly is it that we are expecting from him? After all, he is using videogames as his source material, and they're hardly reknowned for their complex characterisations and sophisticated narratives.

"Let's be realistic, what is House of the Dead? House of the Dead is a brainless shooter, where you shoot zombies into pieces. So what are you expecting from the movie, Schindler's List?"

I've wondered the same whenever I see people trashing his flicks.

"Let's be realistic, what is House of the Dead? House of the Dead is a brainless shooter, where you shoot zombies into pieces. So what are you expecting from the movie, Schindler's List?"

Well, that makes sense... I didn't see Blood Rayne, even though one of my friends suggested it, I greatfully explained how I make good movie choices, where I say we see Serenity while he says we should see Doom.

Well, if he says that video games don't have a real plot other than to shoot things, wouldn't that be a clue as to whether or not they would make a good movie?

oh, they do have plots. Some games have really complex and intriguing ones too. the MGS series, Kindom hearts series, and Silent Hill are among a few.

"And besides, says Boll, what exactly is it that we are expecting from him? After all, he is using videogames as his source material, and they're hardly reknowned for their complex characterisations and sophisticated narratives.

Except that his movies usually actually significantly WORSEN the plot, dumb it down, change all the bits people loved and pretty much trample all over the expectations of fans of the game.

And therefore makes people think that videogames are all dumb.

And then he has the gall to blame the videogames...???!?!

Ok, House of the dead was a weird choice, and probably would never have been intelligent.. but his movie didn't even have a HOUSE!!! ;) Plus he is such an incompetent direcor that he copuldn't even put together an average zombie slasher flick... heck i could do that.

Alone in the dark had an interesting setting, plot and characters... so he dumped all that.

Bloodrayne actually had good potential to be a fun-but-dumb blade style movie... but the two things that set it aside from blade and all the other vampire action flicks were: missisipi and nazi settings. So he dumped that an put it in ancient castles???

He'll probably set Dungeon Seige (another weird choice) on the moon and Farcry in 60s New York. :D

More and more games DO have complex plots and characters.. often moreso than movies due to their much longer running times. All japanese RPGs, resident evil (another seires dumbed down and changed unnecisarily - but not by him this time), Deus Ex, Thief, Chronicles of Riddick (better plot and characters than the movie!), AvP2 (again better plot than the movie) etc...

Its just that those making the movies pick dumb films (HOTD, Dungeon Seige, doom, halo, Mario Bros, Streetfighter etc..) that either have no plot, or are generic in terms of setting. And then they don't get what is important to the franchise, change the important bits and keep the irrelevant bits, dumb it down even more... and then blame video games for being dumb...

How about instead of blaming him or the games, blaming the audeince. Film making is a business. And like all business's, if they aren't making money, they go out of business. Someone's watching this stuff, and it ain't me. It seems mostly to be people that hate his movies that are watching them, which I find to be odd.

How about instead of blaming him or the games, blaming the audeince. Film making is a business. And like all business's, if they aren't making money, they go out of business. Someone's watching this stuff, and it ain't me. It seems mostly to be people that hate his movies that are watching them, which I find to be odd.
I don't think that he really cared about what audience he had. With that German tax loophole, I think that people were actually paying him to produce low budget movies and bomb them. Of course, now that's gone, it's no longer expedient to do so and he's calling it quits.

Archived