Home

Things that Petroglyph needs to **FIX NOW**

evenflow80

This is after three Galactic Conquests guys:

All right, I'm halfway through my third conquest now , pretty much tried and seen everything, and here are some things that Petroglyph MUST address in thier next patch:

- Completely tone down the Rebel MPTL artillery. Actually, not tone down.... FIX. Guys? Its broken. Anything that makes me quit the game and go do something else is broken. I'm not an idiot, and I know how to play this game by now. Its strong against everything, tanks, troops, structures, you name it. It can take down anything short of AT-ATs in one or two salvos, has incredible area splash damage, has unfair range, very high rate of fire, and one of them can generally wipe out your entire force before you can send you fastest units to get it. AT-ATs are nice in theory, but in reality are too slow to react in the split second to kill an MPTL before everything else is dead. The Imperial version is fine, the Rebel one is not. FIX IT.

- There's an AI bug around the planets Genosis, Tatooine, Naboo. After three conquests, it seems to keep moving its fleets back and forth continously between these three planets. Sent a few probes there and apparently its the same fleets going back and forth nonstop continously. I usually wouldn't mind but if you notice, the CPU tends to attack you when the transiting stops, so....

- Rebel airpspeeders are a nuiscane. They're fine in theory, but the problem is they can be used against ground targets and are thus an essential part of a Rebel force. The AT-AA is not. Its a one trick pony that takes up a badly needed unit cap. Most planets you start out with maybe 3 unit caps, and you can't really waste one cap on a AT-AA just so you can shoot down the speeders harrasing you like flies, the remaining two units are not enough to make it to another reinforcement point and its a bit hard to build an anti-air cannon when you are swarmed by enemies. Either give the Empire a comparable air unit or make airspeeders more vulnerable to ground fire.

- various severe performance issues. We all know about the apparent memory leak, game gets slower and slower the longer you play. There is inexplicable sever slowdown on the otherwise static galactic map overview (why?? its not like in made of a million polygons). Path finding issues cause severe slowdown unless you press the stop button for all your units.

- Fog of war in a Star Wars game is silly. I'm sure they've managed to invent radar in the GFFA. It wouldn't be so bad except for the little fact that the CPU opponent isn't bound by it, which allows it to exploit a few cheap tactics that make the game more frustrating than fun. Remove it, there's a reason why we're not chopping down wood and mining for gold in a SW game, and its the same reason there should be no fog of war. This is SW not the Middle Ages.

- Why do some of my space units sit idly by while my fleet is getting hammered a few feet away? I can't count the number of times I would see two Victory SDs and a bunch of fighters just hangind around doing nothing while a ship right next to them is getting hammered. Do I NEED to give you permission to attack the enemy??

Add your own please!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DarthMaulUK

Just because you are probably having problems winning, doesnt mean the game is bugged in the areas you've detailed. I'm getting a little tired of people mistaking their OWN screw ups for actual bugs.

- Completely tone down the Rebel MPTL artillery. Actually, not tone down.... FIX. Guys? Its broken. Anything that makes me quit the game and go do something else is broken. I'm not an idiot, and I know how to play this game by now. Its strong against everything, tanks, troops, structures, you name it. It can take down anything short of AT-ATs in one or two salvos, has incredible area splash damage, has unfair range, very high rate of fire, and one of them can generally wipe out your entire force before you can send you fastest units to get it. AT-ATs are nice in theory, but in reality are too slow to react in the split second to kill an MPTL before everything else is dead. The Imperial version is fine, the Rebel one is not. FIX IT.

So because you cant deal with it, this must be a bug? Artillery is ranged. Thats the idea of it. Why not use your own artillery, or even better send in the swift TIE Maulers and have them self destruct?

- There's an AI bug around the planets Genosis, Tatooine, Naboo. After three conquests, it seems to keep moving its fleets back and forth continously between these three planets. Sent a few probes there and apparently its the same fleets going back and forth nonstop continously. I usually wouldn't mind but if you notice, the CPU tends to attack you when the transiting stops, so....

Rebels can break through blockades and have alot more freedom around the map. They can do raids and pop up just about anywhere. Not a bug

- Rebel airpspeeders are a nuiscane. They're fine in theory, but the problem is they can be used against ground targets and are thus an essential part of a Rebel force. The AT-AA is not. Its a one trick pony that takes up a badly needed unit cap. Most planets you start out with maybe 3 unit caps, and you can't really waste one cap on a AT-AA just so you can shoot down the speeders harrasing you like flies, the remaining two units are not enough to make it to another reinforcement point and its a bit hard to build an anti-air cannon when you are swarmed by enemies. Either give the Empire a comparable air unit or make airspeeders more vulnerable to ground fire.

Oh no! I dont remember hearing General Veers cry at General Rieekan about the Airspeeders. Again, not a bug. You really need to sit down and think your strategy. Thats the whole idea. Limited pop caps means just that, you have to work your way around the map. Replacing units once they are lost with something else maybe. At-AA are essential for the Empire to combat rebel air strikes - Just be prepared.

- various severe performance issues. We all know about the apparent memory leak, game gets slower and slower the longer you play. There is inexplicable sever slowdown on the otherwise static galactic map overview (why?? its not like in made of a million polygons). Path finding issues cause severe slowdown unless you press the stop button for all your units.

Yes the game does slow down - so you've scored one point for that.

- Fog of war in a Star Wars game is silly. I'm sure they've managed to invent radar in the GFFA. It wouldn't be so bad except for the little fact that the CPU opponent isn't bound by it, which allows it to exploit a few cheap tactics that make the game more frustrating than fun. Remove it, there's a reason why we're not chopping down wood and mining for gold in a SW game, and its the same reason there should be no fog of war. This is SW not the Middle Ages.

No matter what time period you are in, there will always be fog of war. It gives you more of a chance to mount surprise attacks, especially against another human opponent and adds to the excitement of combat. If you are worried about long range scanners - destroy them

- Why do some of my space units sit idly by while my fleet is getting hammered a few feet away? I can't count the number of times I would see two Victory SDs and a bunch of fighters just hangind around doing nothing while a ship right next to them is getting hammered. Do I NEED to give you permission to attack the enemy??

You've scored your second point. This is an issue in the game and one I remember seeing in BFME - hmmmmmm,

Overall you do need to take a long look at what units are best for which job. Play as the rebels as well, to understand how their units function, which will give you more of an idea when you play against the rebels again.

The game has its challenges and its up to you to meet them and sometimes planets require a second assault - so be it. Just because a battle is lost, doesnt mean the war is over......

DMUK

Two units I am beginning to hate when on the opposing side are the MPTL and TIE Mauler, different reasons and probably because I've not played enough to get workable tactics against them, but TIE Maulers are nasty against just about any Rebel force because they either run your infantry over or suicide and take your vehicles out, and MPTLs are nasty cause if they're set up near your LZ, they can just continuously attack ground and obliterate anything coming down before it has a chance to react. They're not broken, but they're certainly not pleasant to fight when you've got to face them with a certain force or in a certain way.

I'm not sure that the 'issue' with units waiting for an order before acting is a bug. I wouldn't want to place my fighters behind my cruiser for protection while the cruiser kills a corvette, and then have the fighters decide to attack on their own. I also wouldn't want my ships to move after I tell them to hide in a nebula for an ambush. I want to force the enemy to come in and look for me, so that my fighters have a chance against those nasty Tartans.

It's the memory leak and the pathfinding algorythme.

WHy algo. Whenever I have a very big amount of units and when I start the battle first 2-3 mins I have major slow downs. Once all calculations are finished the game goes on without problem.

I'm not sure that the 'issue' with units waiting for an order before acting is a bug. I wouldn't want to place my fighters behind my cruiser for protection while the cruiser kills a corvette, and then have the fighters decide to attack on their own. I also wouldn't want my ships to move after I tell them to hide in a nebula for an ambush. I want to force the enemy to come in and look for me, so that my fighters have a chance against those nasty Tartans.

It would be nice to have fire control orders...so you can set ships to engage any enemy units spotted, moving to attack and opening fire with all available batteries...or hold station and don't engage unless so ordered. THat would let you set up ambushes more effectively than if your ships are allowed to shoot at whatever while they're maneuvering inside a nebula.

I too am experiencing slow gameplay after a while. Some of my land batles start fine, slow down just a bit after all units are on the battlefield and fighting, but after a while, the game starts to slow down ridiculously. Even if I only have 1 unit vs. another at the end of the battle, performance will be terrible. You can really notice the leak in memory by comparing the movie screen before you start playing(the video screen at the main menu) and after you are about to exit the program.

Another bug which I posted earlier in the tech/help forum is when saving. In short, the time it takes to save increases over time. Eventually, the saves will fail and a message appears asking you to check your disk space. This is a bug that should be fixed in the next patch.

In the meantime, is there a workaround so I can continue playing?

Guys, all that stuff can be modded later. I'm sure some modders out there don't like the fact that artillery is too powerfull, etc, but these are bugs/problems which need a good understanding of the game's mechanics which need to be fixed. Lag is code related(unless your PC isn't that good or it has a compatability issue). Games not saving is another. Ships being idle is yet another. Do I really need to go any farther?

Quote:

So because you cant deal with it, this must be a bug? Artillery is ranged. Thats the idea of it. Why not use your own artillery, or even better send in the swift TIE Maulers and have them self destruct?

End Quote

So basically you think its perfectly fine for a unit to attack you without seeing it, kill of 25% of your forces in the first shot, then you see it, and by the time you send off your fastest units to kill it, another 25%-40% of your units are killed with absolutely nothing you can do about it?

See, that's what annoys me about people sometimes, its like a sin to say anything negative about "thier" game, when obviously something needs to be worked on. What I described above is not a "feature" of the game, its a broken unit that way too overpowered. I'm not a "n00b" and I'm almost done with my third Conquest mode now, so I KNOW how to play the game, but anything that WILL take out atleast 40% of my ground forces without me being able to do a damn thing about it is NOT balanced gameplay.

Look at it this way: is the Imperial artillery that way? Can it kill 3-4 units at the same time in one salvo? Can it even kill ONE target in one salvo? Does it have a splash damage area that wipes out anything even remotely close to it?

It needs toning down, period.

I really think that the Galactic Conquest map needs to be fixed, but for an entirely different reason.

It's not the map, per se, it's the "random events" that come. The fact is that some of the events get it wrong. What do I mean?

Well, there's this one "Rescue the Pirate" event, which happened to be on Byss. It says that I would receive a Venator-Class Cruiser as a treat. I was like..."OH YAY."

So I complete the mission, and what do I get?

Dumb Pirate Frigate. D: Where's the continuity? XD

The event text REALLY needs overhauling; it looks quite sloppy when a ship that has been out of the game for nearly 4 months is mentioned in an event AND in the facility in Skirmish that allows you to hire Pirate Frigate, the Patrol Vessel, and those other little things.

Hm I havent had the slightest trouble with rebel artillery. Must be just you Im with DarthMaulUK on this one. Let me list you a variety of ways to deal with them

1. Get an AT-AA, Its special ability makes missles uselss

2. Set up artilery at your main base before the opponent does. By the time it gets ready to fire it would be dead

3. Use At-St's, get up close and use barrage area if your in trouble

4. Bombing run when you are being swarmed

5. TIE maulers, self explanatory

6. Rush in with units before it sets up so you are too close to be hit

7. Don't land the majority of your units right away

8. Anti-Vehicle turrets

Actually, even though i dont think rebel arty is that much of a problem i must say that ataas are the most useless unit in the game. You have to keep them with the main force where they'll be killed in seconds and they wont even save you against bombing runs because they rather attack ground units which is stupid and ineffective.

The AT-AA just feels like a badly designed counter to the rebel speeder. I'd prefer to use a stormtrooper rocket squad that is greatly effective against air speeders and somewhat effective against vehicles and infantry. That way it is multi-purpose and won't feel like a waste of a unit point like the AT-AA.

First: We are aware of the bugs are we are looking into it. Patches take time to make and test, but we are not ignoring your problems.

Second: Let me offer some tactical advice. Some of you have problems with the MPTL, while some of you think the AT-AA is a waste. What you may not have found is that the AT-AA is actually one of the counters for the MPTL. The AT-AA's missile defense field affects MPTL shots as well as concussion missiles. Put some of those on the front line and watch the MPTL shots go wild while you move in to destroy them.

Quote:

"Hi Master Nikolaos

I have AMD 64 3500+ With 1 GO of RAM in DUAL Channel Corsair and X850XT PE.

I'm experiencing the slowdowns and the memory leak so I can't beleive it is comming from my weak configuration."

I know, that's what I'm trying to say. My computer's processor prevents me from playing the game to its fullest, but I can tell when the game starts to slow down after a while because even for my system, performance drops dramatically. I know for sure its not my video card, because turning down my settings from all the way up including AA doesn't change anything after extended gameplay. I have to say as well that the game runs fluidly(not fully, but still enjoyable when I turn everything up) when I start playing but not an hour or two hours after.

Thanks for taking notice Petro :D. I know you gus are around(even in the modding forum which is REALLY helpful for us modders). Just a question, have you figured where the slow down problem is coming from yet?

the rebel's arts are fine.They dont need to be toned out at all.You u just need to play the game more, or perhaps try skirmish maps to help u.Theres a reason y this game is an RTS, u have to use strats in order to win.

Next time if ur playing against the rebels that have arts try some moves like:

splitting up ur units(at-st,tie maulers,2m tanks) and sorround it, it cant shoot 2 groups at once.

or use ur troops as a distraction, i like doing that :D

1. FIX ONLINE GAMING!!.. man i only got to play 1game in 1hour everytime i try again it discconects "host has left the game" or something like that.. and quick play never starts when it launch i dont connect to anyplayers.. i have 1.2patch.. no routers and no Firewall..

so whats the problem!!?!? fix it...

2. Online Comunity is bad.. i suggest a makeover for rooms and all.. someone else can fill me up with this please..

3. what happened to rated games?? no points?? like age of mythology had ranking system... it was awesome..

Thanks for taking notice Petro :D. I know you gus are around(even in the modding forum which is REALLY helpful for us modders). Just a question, have you figured where the slow down problem is coming from yet?

I'm no programer, but from what I understand, memory leaks are a bear to find. I've reported the problem, and both QA and the coders are working on it. I know another patch is in the works, it's just a question of scheduling and figuring out everything that needs to go in it.

ive got a couple of problems like EAW doesnt likeaol and routers put together ive tryed the help desk it still does not work and anther problem is that in campane and galactic conquest the anti infentry turret kills every infentry in one shot but in skirmish even set on easy ive had them take 3 anti infentry turrent shots and other times ive had to use 2 squads of stormeis to take down a reb group even thought the stomies are using sort of siper tings and the rebs are using pistle

Archived