Home

Things that Petroglyph needs to **FIX NOW**

evenflow80

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember that just because you don't have a router/firewall, it doesn't mean the other people you are trying to connect with don't have these things. If even one person in the group has their equipment set up incorrectly it can cause all connections to stop.

As to the other issues (community related), LucasArts, GameSpy and ourselves are working on solving them I've been in the game lobbies and I definitely know what you are talking about (kids these days... :D)

Yeah, HD, but I meant that the more menial tech-support related issues (ie, "When I connect to a game using blah blah settings and my system configuration is yadda yadda, I get an error that says such-and-such") aren't questions for the game developer. Something like the possible memory leak is, yes...it just irks me to see things like the recent dev chat where countless people wasted the time to list their system specs and ask why exception number whatever was generated.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Petroglyph are always checking the forums for feedback and suggestions from the community. It was one of the key things that Mike Legg mentioned to me when I last spoke with him a couple weeks again.

However, when people post threads about problems they have that just are not bugs or balance issues, does make their life a little harder.

DMUK

First: We are aware of the bugs are we are looking into it. Patches take time to make and test, but we are not ignoring your problems.

Second: Let me offer some tactical advice. Some of you have problems with the MPTL, while some of you think the AT-AA is a waste. What you may not have found is that the AT-AA is actually one of the counters for the MPTL. The AT-AA's missile defense field affects MPTL shots as well as concussion missiles. Put some of those on the front line and watch the MPTL shots go wild while you move in to destroy them.

Hi Darth_Torpid,

I can't speak for others but I used the AT-AA and their special ability. Only there was a litle problem. Recharge time of MPTL is way too small. In the heat of battle I can't micromanage each AT-AA so I make groups and when I hit secondary ability button all AT-AA have it activated.

As you know AT-AA can use it only for a limited amount of time after which it needs to be recharged. You set MPTL to recharge every 6.5 secondes after which it will fire 9 proton torpedos with a big dammage area.

What I did is the next. I edited reload time for MPTL. Instead 6.5 seconds I set it at 10 seconds. With such value I don't have 3/4 of my forces being destroyed before they can reach the arty. SUre some are still destroyed but the AI can't spam my insertion point any longer.

Usually what the AI would do is to send 3 or 4 MPTL right where I'm (at my insertion point) and after first salvo I'll have 1/4 of my forces wiped out. After 6.5 secondes another salvo will comme in, by the time I move into the minimal range 3/4 are lost. It isn't the problem in my reaction time since I can clck pretty fast but in the time raction of my troops. Time to find the best path to the indicated location etc.

Now maybe the problem isn't MPTL it self I don't know because I still didn't have chance to paly Vs human opponent, but when in AI's hand it is a terrible unit. Mainly because you allowed the AI to cheat. AI dosen't have the fog of war so it knows exactly where I am and what units I have.

On the other hand when I deactiveted that feature for AI, the AI turned into dumb ass. Not even sending troops to scout the area. No it was just sitting on its position.

But after all maybe there is an error in the AI programation.

DarthMaulUK: No need to be rude, if you can't post nicely, don't post. Admin or not, it just ain't cricket baby.

Anyhow, my 5c.

1. AI - In Gal Conquest the rebels don't build intelligently. Space and Ground bases are rarely fully populated, Mon Calamari is sometimes barely defended and I've yet to see the rebels build their Mon Calamari Capitals, and this is after playing for a couple of game months and not taking Mon Calamari. They had about 100 of every other ship, but no MC's.

Fix:

a. Filling every slot on each planet should be a higher priority, space especially.

b. High value planets like the Capital ship planets should be assigned a much higher defence value and if taken, should be hammered mercilessly.

c. Prioritise building Capitals and ISD's!

2. Pathfinding - Some space maps have you arriving surrounded by impentetrable obstacles, which is cool, but when you instruct your fleet of ISD's to move into an open area, which has a free path to it through the obstacles, they'll bunch up or turn on the spot. I've also found that move commands seem to get cancelled under these circumstances or is it that the ships have clipping zones where they won't bang into each other?

Regardless moving through these obstacles can be far too painful and costly (18 ISD's lost vs Akbar, a lvl 3 station and about 50 misc ships) which I wouldn't have even lost a 1/4 of if I auto-resolved.

Everything else is great and the mod community will no doubt make the game outstanding, unless Petro steal their ideas first ;)

Cheers!

Darth Torpid:

I really appreciate the time you are taking to talk to us, most developers woudn't even bother. I apologize if I come off as rude, but when I made this thread it was after quitting the game in frustration at Rebel MPTLs.

As for the memory leak, I don't really know what to make of it. Last three times or so I booted up the game I had no slowdown whatsoever, which is strange because before the game would always get progressively slower as I played, and I'm not doing anything different, and haven't changed anything in my system as far as I know.

What I CAN tell you though is that it seems the CPU struggles sometimes when I have many units moving at once, so if I select all my units and press the stop button it immediately becomes smooth again. Strangely, if I tell those same units to start moving again, most of the time the game remains smooth. My guess? The game struggles when having to guide units around objects on the map (asteroids, nebula, etc), but I really have no idea though, its just a guess.

DarthMaulUK: No need to be rude, if you can't post nicely, don't post. Admin or not, it just ain't cricket baby.

Anyhow, my 5c.

1. AI - In Gal Conquest the rebels don't build intelligently. Space and Ground bases are rarely fully populated, Mon Calamari is sometimes barely defended and I've yet to see the rebels build their Mon Calamari Capitals, and this is after playing for a couple of game months and not taking Mon Calamari. They had about 100 of every other ship, but no MC's.

Fix:

a. Filling every slot on each planet should be a higher priority, space especially.

b. High value planets like the Capital ship planets should be assigned a much higher defence value and if taken, should be hammered mercilessly.

c. Prioritise building Capitals and ISD's!

2. Pathfinding - Some space maps have you arriving surrounded by impentetrable obstacles, which is cool, but when you instruct your fleet of ISD's to move into an open area, which has a free path to it through the obstacles, they'll bunch up or turn on the spot. I've also found that move commands seem to get cancelled under these circumstances or is it that the ships have clipping zones where they won't bang into each other?

Regardless moving through these obstacles can be far too painful and costly (18 ISD's lost vs Akbar, a lvl 3 station and about 50 misc ships) which I wouldn't have even lost a 1/4 of if I auto-resolved.

Everything else is great and the mod community will no doubt make the game outstanding, unless Petro steal their ideas first ;)

Cheers!

After reading, i have some of the same problems, of those i experianced i will post

1.Fully agree, AI seems to never build any captial ships past AFrigates/Vics

2.B,C agree wit that to. Ive played the campaign multiple times(usually on medium) and the AI always seems to defend there planets with 2 or 3 AC. Crusiers/rebel aquivlent and they never seem to build a sizeable fleet unless u play on hard diffcuility. And they NEVER build anything past Victory/Assualt frig.

3.OMG yes, the idea of obstecials are great in theroy, or if the map was larger, but these tiny maps, they can reak habit on pathfinding, I played a 2vs2 LAn match yesterday with some friends and it took us about 15min jsut to get our ships to manuever or just to move to where we orginally told them to go. Can be very frustating and a major headache. But in the end we still had a blast.

Concerning SOme aspects of ground assualt in GC.

What i wish is whatever garrision they have a on a planet that is all the troops they can have if they r under attack. Could you imagine @ the battle of hoth rebel troops training while under attack by AT-ATs???

I wish they would do what the did in Rebellion, have the garrision the only defense on the ground. And not be able to build while under blockade/ground assualt. And what happened to orbital boundbardments?????

Yo,

A problem i have found is disappearing units/heroes. On certain planets, when i move forces from the ground to space (ie organising a raid fleet) they sometimes vanish, leaving only a blank circle with the raid star icon. When i try to move the forces back to the ground, nothing happens. I think it is a planet-specific problem as it only happened on Genosis, and a few others around that area on the galactic map.

Also, please PLEASE enable friendly fire. In response to the people having a spack about Rebel artillery, this would make it much more realistic. Its also so easy to just rush a base with units and spam the base with aerial bombardment, without loosing any units. Especially with the artillery and the tactic of a row of tanks in front preventing enemies from reaching them while they spam the whole area with torps. I think friendly fire would fix alot of problems with the balance of the game.

Actually, I just thought of a *major* issue I have.

When I go into a battle I want to choose which ships are deployed primarily. If I have a fleet of many different ships, sometimes I might not want to deploy fighters or I might want extra corvettes. As the instigator of a battle, I should be able to choose who goes where, not have it randomly assigned.

However, if I am the defender, perhaps this might not be the case so often as I might not get a warning so here's my solution.

Attacker - Chooses the ships to be deployed into the initial engagement.

Defender - Chooses the ships to be deployed into the initial engagement *ONLY* if they are on a planet with radar or have a stealth unit at the attacking fleets point of origin. If you don't know they are coming, you shouldn't be able to prepare.

If Petro (or the mod community) allowed for Spy detection or if you did small lightning attacks just to destroy their radar, you could have some great fights if this was implemented.

Obviously this also would apply to ground attacks as you don't always want to deploy your most powerful non-hero unit first.

What i wish is whatever garrision they have a on a planet that is all the troops they can have if they r under attack. Could you imagine @ the battle of hoth rebel troops training while under attack by AT-ATs???

You could think of it as a number of troops stationed at the barracks coming into the field in rotations, rather than being trained on the spot. Probably the attack caught some of them in bed and they need time to get their combat gear on and their commander needs a briefing before they can scramble out. Though you do have a point about the continued strength of garrisons over the course of a battle. I think the buildings spawn new garrison units a little too quickly.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Cheers!

I was not being rude. The bottom line is, the stated 'bugs' apart from 1 or 2 are not bugs and its getting EXTREMELY boring reading and deleting threads that are not constructive and are not bug related issues.

Too many people are jumping on this bandwagon and need to sit down and spend more time playing the game before complaining that 'its bugged, because I cant win a battle'.

my 10c

DMUK

I wish they would do what the did in Rebellion, have the garrision the only defense on the ground. And not be able to build while under blockade/ground assualt. And what happened to orbital boundbardments?????

I really don't think that would be a good Idea.

The defender can only have ten units defending a planet, while the attacker can bring in more and more troops only limited by the amount he brought to the planet. Even there is a cap and the attacker have to conquer more reinforcement points, it would be unbalanced.

It's not always about realism.

All I've go to say is that my complaints aren't about the gameplay per se - heck, I can't get past four planets in the Rebel campaign to really get into the gameplay - it's the technical glitches that cause the save games to balloon in size, consequently causing the time to save the game to shoot up into the 10-15 minute range. For me, this makes the game unplayable and needs to be fixed ASAP. Now, maybe once that gets fixed I'd be able to provide meaningful feedback on the gameplay. Until then, this game is just a big tease for me because I can't penetrate very far into the campaign before hitting the save game barrier.

In regards to the missions being too quick....drop your game speed down a notch or two.

It makes the ships/ground units move more realistically and the engagements last longer with more tactical depth as larger cap ships take longer to turn around so actually manouvering them is important.

In regards to the missions being too quick....drop your game speed down a notch or two.

It makes the ships/ground units move more realistically and the engagements last longer with more tactical depth as larger cap ships take longer to turn around so actually manouvering them is important.

yeah i have done that i just find there are way to short, i like the game i think its really good

yeah i have done that i just find there are way to short, i like the game i think its really good

Ah rightio mate.

I do agree with you though, on average my space battles last about 5 minutes. Bigger ones tend to go for about 10.

I guess if you're good at editing xml data then you could always have a go at modding your copy and extending the length of the battles that way. Just change a few simple values and you'll be set.

All I've go to say is that my complaints aren't about the gameplay per se - heck, I can't get past four planets in the Rebel campaign to really get into the gameplay - it's the technical glitches that cause the save games to balloon in size, consequently causing the time to save the game to shoot up into the 10-15 minute range.

That's the first time I've seen anyone complain about that. I don't have a top-of-the-line machine (in fact it's kinda old), but I haven't had any problems with save/load times. I've played through several campaigns and galactic conquests without seeing any increase in save/load times at all. The longest it ever takes is less than 30 seconds. Have other people seen that problem?

Edit: Correction; there are other posts about save times, they're just hard to find.

Archived