Home

Things that Petroglyph needs to **FIX NOW**

evenflow80

Ever played with HTML in computing class at school, you know, to build basic websites with?

It's very very similar to that.

He should check the mod threads. There's an existing mod that's easy to install that is meant to do exactly what he's wanting. I don't remember what it was called.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep hearing people complain about this 'memory leak', but I have noticed nothing on my system. I've played it for 6 hours straight with no slowdown, and my save games don't ever take any longer than 5 seconds to save. My computer is hardly top spec either, Athlon 2400+ with 1 gb RAM.

I keep hearing people complain about this 'memory leak', but I have noticed nothing on my system. I've played it for 6 hours straight with no slowdown, and my save games don't ever take any longer than 5 seconds to save. My computer is hardly top spec either, Athlon 2400+ with 1 gb RAM.

Yeah, I can sometimes play for a long time without any problem, and I've never had trouble saving. However, it does hiccup now and then. I wouldn't call it a slow-down. Rather a stop and start thing. Once it starts misbehaving, it just gets worse and worse, until I restart the game. I believe Petroglyph said that they suspect a leak and that they're looking for it, but don't quote me.

He should check the mod threads. There's an existing mod that's easy to install that is meant to do exactly what he's wanting. I don't remember what it was called.

Yeah, modding forums would be a good spot to start. I was just refering to how simple it is to mod (to the extent that he wants to), you simply find the value you want to alter and change it to something that suits your idea.

The mod you're referring to.....do you mean that someone has created a basic program that modifies the xml files for you, simply requiring you to alter the values via a 3rd party app??

ie: a window that lets you select a vehicle and then modify it's values?

Because that would be bloody nifty!

That's the first time I've seen anyone complain about that. I don't have a top-of-the-line machine (in fact it's kinda old), but I haven't had any problems with save/load times. I've played through several campaigns and galactic conquests without seeing any increase in save/load times at all. The longest it ever takes is less than 30 seconds. Have other people seen that problem? I can't find any other posts about it. Maybe you have some other problem like disk compression software or virtual drive setup, or low space/disk fragmentation.

If you look hard enough, there is indeed messages imbedded into multiple Threads about this. I did not discover them while skimming Thread titles, they seem to be off-topic questions. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I have experienced, once, a 10 minute save period. I do believe it is caused by the memory leaks, and the AI. It happened while I was saving almost near the end of the Galactic Conflict campaign. The AI kept moving his damn ships around, randomly, to random planets. (I.E Geonosis ---> Tatooine ---> Geonosis ---> Ryloth ---> Geonosis ---> Tatooine, etc.) with no real defining strategy. I couldn't see the rest of the ships in the galaxy since I was not playing Rebellion, but as far as I could tell, the AI was constantly moving. That, coupled with the sheer number of planets and forces, made my Save go from 30 seconds to 10 Minutes.

Ever since, it hasn't happened, even at the end of the Rebel Campaign.

Is someone else experiencing the bug where Veers is being taken down by rebel airspeeders, despite the fact that he is supposed to be immune to cable attacks (says so in his description)?

I was also under this impression, but as I got into the game, I discovered a very crucial fact: The Descriptions lie.

The Mercenary Shipyard does not have the Venator for sale, several Random Missions in Galactic Conquest are worded incorrectly (I.E. a Reward is different. It said I would recieve 2 Venator-Classes, but instead received 2 Pirate Cruisers.)

I have come to the conclusion that Petroglyph hasn't read up on the meaning of continuity. ;D

Yeah, I can sometimes play for a long time without any problem, and I've never had trouble saving. However, it does hiccup now and then. I wouldn't call it a slow-down. Rather a stop and start thing. Once it starts misbehaving, it just gets worse and worse, until I restart the game. I believe Petroglyph said that they suspect a leak and that they're looking for it, but don't quote me.

This has something to do with the Pathfinding. Whenever I am in Space Battle, and it starts to slow down, there is many suggestions which state the same thing:

Press Ctrl+A

Press the Stop Icon

Slowdown is gone, but your fleet is stopped, making them sitting ducks. ):

The same thing happens in Galactic Map; the AI starts moving around to quickly, ships and troops alike moving all the time, nothing stays in one place. I'd wish they'd fix that.

You've scored your second point. This is an issue in the game and one I remember seeing in BFME - hmmmmmm,
Can't agree....!

It's an RTS and not a video or movie. If a ship next to some of your units is under fire you should tell the others to guard it and to be part of the fight.

It's the same as with all C&C based games: You forces won't automatically attack, even if a firendly unit is under fire right next to them.

YOU need to tell them what to do, that's what a strategy game is about.

If you wish your units to auto-counter you should change to a different game or, even better, watch a movie.

Archived