Home

Rookie stuck... Help

Steelhed

OK, i guess it had been a while since i used an editor... I've aswered my own questions except one... After i design like a test level, and save it as the whatever.WLD, why wont BFII load my map? its always this default flat map.. I tried copying the LVL datat into the addon in original BF2 and everything, It still will not load my level...

my ODF and MSH folders are both inC:\BF2_Modtools\data_CAK\worlds Are they supposed to be in folders? Cause thats what i have them in... And i did both munges... Is there another munge i must do after i designed my level? BTW thanks for the response.. I really want to work with this engine and make a couple maps, and ultimately use it for a Viet Nam MOD...

I do save over it.. Im doing something wrong. Derkie, when i save my .WLD file, and then i go to play my level, it's playing it from the C:\programfiles\lucasarts\gamedata\addon folder right? This isn't getting updated when i save a map from the zero editor to a .WLD file... Does this help you to help me? Thanks in advance..

open up your CAK.req file look for the lines that says omething link CAK=obejects01 or something like that, just make sure the line above is not a regular map name, say KAS2 or HOT etc and make sure it reads 'CAK' , this file has been giving me problems too, esp. the object line, if I change that line to my map name then some of my opjects are missing, if I change it to say KAS2 (which a lot of my objects are coming from [odf's and msh's]) then I get my objects but I also get KAS's objects too and they're floating around all over the place. This req file requires more documentation. but I think that's where your trouble lies.

No. The map name, while referring to files, are the three letters you pick in Visual Munge. In that program there is the "Full World Name" that is the name that will appear when playing it. The "_conquest " is the game type, obviously, where did you see that exactly? Inside the Wld file? Ah it doesn't matter. What I was referring to , although I'm not sure it's what you're having trouble with, was the file called (in your case) CAK.req. It should be found in; (again: in your case) "DRIVE:\BF2_ModTools\data_CAK\Worlds\CAK\world1" folder. This file has the lines that were screwing me up, namely this section (this is my map now);

REQN

{

"world"

"FCF"

"kas2_Objects01"

"kas2_SoundRegions"

"kas2_SoundEmitters"

"kas2_Rocks"

}

If I change the "kas2_" to "FCF_" then my world will be missing some Key objects. (not that they're missing from the ODF or MSH folders)

If I change the first line to to "kas2" and the rest to "FAF_"

then my objects are missing (mostly) and the world is flat.

If I use it as it is above than my world is flat but all my objects are there, but so are Kasyak's and in the position they are in the shipped map. So objects are suspended in mid air.

I'm think your problem may be related, but I'm no expert. If fact I'm trying to solicit help for my problem by posting to yours :-)

You can some screen shots of the map I'm talking about here;

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=161238

Look for my post, in the water there should be "kasyak pipes" but they won't show up unless I play with the "req" file.

I think at the same time as I figured out what you were talking about I also figured out my problem :-)

You might have been talking about within the file "CAK.req" the reference to "CAK_conquest" under section "World" ... if so that was where my problem was, my map is only playable as a CTF 1 flag, but by default I had nothing under the "world " section but "FCF". I added under that line, the line ; "FCF_1flag" (you probably have CAK_conquest, and maybe more entries...I had nothing). I noticted the "Kas2_Objects01"(in kas2.req) reference was referring to most probably the "Kas2_Objects01.LYR" file, as it seemed to be the only one of the "kas2_Objects01" files that had any real data in it. so I looked for my "LYR" file and found only the "FCF_1flag" file.

It worked.

Before (note the pipes are there in the editor but not in the game):

13zq1.jpg

After

46ww.jpg

59kq.jpg

OK, I am absorbing all this and will post once my brain matter has comprehended..lol... I didn't have an "Objects" line in my .req file... Maybe this is part of the problem.. I am a total rookie and might have missed some simple equasions here.. I apologize for asking questions that might be, well, like i said, i have read the docs a number of times, but havent cought my problem... I do appreciate the help tremendously.. I really am ready to put some serious time and effort into a mod here.... So any help is gonna save me alot of despair... So dont give up on me...

The reason i settled on using this engine is for a couple of reasons... One, it is a very clean engine and operates well online without lag.. I could care less about ragdoll physics.. I feel i have the best chance other than the torque engine to realize my modding dream... I will stop at nothing to see a successful mod from myself, whether it be me alone, or i pick up some personel along the way... So, no thoughts and suggestions are bad ones in my book right now...

Don't get me wrong, I'm no modder either, I can make maps. "Modders" to me are the guys who can script , model ,skin as well as make maps. I found with the old editor, that most of the major screwups I encountered were 1 of two things, 1. not having all the msh's needed for a particular odf. Or two having a bad line in one of the "mapname.*" files. Like in my case; FCF.wld, FCF.req, FCF.prp,FCF.fx etc etc, also the addme.ula, and other "mapname_type.ula"'s. All these files can be edited up. But since I have no formal scripting knowledge, I have to learn through trial and error( or CRASH and reboot :-).

Ya, I understand exactly what you mean. Im only a skinner, and not the rest of that. But hey, can't skinning help some of the cause? We need to all help each other out if we are to all make something truly wonderful for a great game such as Battlefront 2. I got an idea, why dont we all just join together? :)

Edit-Oooh, btw, I only did clone skins, and I have yet to find the skin layouts for any of the other soldiers!! :( Help...

Well, once i get a working map, i'll know i can continue.. I already have Softimage XSI, so importing models is gonna happen... Yeah the scripting is gonna be my headbanger.. I've only done minimal scripting, and that was years ago.. Its not that bad once you get familiar... This whole thing i wanna do, is gonna take some time because of the learning curve.. However, it just so happens that I'm also a movie score composer of which i can do really well, and i have about 15 thousand bucks worth of proffessional samples, and sampling equipment... I have ten thousand sound effects as well, and design many of my own... Ofcourse, the sound and music part is my fav... Once i get to the point that i feel confident in all areas, i will be recruiting help for those that would like to participate..

I'm not doing this for any other reason than i think its time someone did a damn decent Vietnam Mod, and for my personal enrichment.. Not lookin to get a job, just want to accomplish a great MOD... I'm ready to bang my head against the wall again.. I've learned some serious programs through banging my head against the wall and im ready to do it again..LoL But as long as we are all here, we might as well put our heads together when questions arise..

Revan and Steelhed, you two should get together for the project, but frankly myself, I don't think I'd be much help to you guys. I can answer newbie questions here in this forum, and Zeroeditor questions, but skinning and modeling? (you know the hard stuff)I'm not familar with at all. I also have commitment issues....sure I'll get into it for awhile, then something new will come and I'll drop it like a stone :-) . AADD (adult attention deficit disorder :-). This is why I never get much beyond average at this moding business. In a few weeks, I'll get board and switch my focus to Radient for Quake or something else. But you two actually have some assets and skills.

...Is there another munge i must do after i designed my level?...
It sound like you are missing your last munge. Go to your game's SWBF2 addon folder and delete your map if its there. Now go to your data_ABC\_Build folder. Run "Modtools VisualMunge.exe" Click 'Select All' and then Munge (takes awhile). If something went wrong, another window will open up with error messages. If not, go run SWBF2 instant action and play your map.

Hey, I'm a modeler and I'm currently working on models for an Empire at War mod, so far a TIE Interceptor and a Carrack Cruiser model in this thread.

(http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=161089)

Anyways, back on topic, I'd love to help if I can ever get my Battlefront2 working again, because after I updated some new things and got a 5.1 speaker setup, Bf I and II have been crashing on loading, anyways, I'm looking forward to whatver you guys do.

Archived