Home

What the heck is up with auto resolve?

Iamme

It's completely screwy. Earlier I lost 3 broadsides and 8 Star Destroyers to a single fleet commander. Not because of, to. THE TRANSPORT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A GUN. I don't know where petro's getting these numbers but I want to autoresolve to skip over battles that should be lossless, the big battles I can do myself.

Auto Resolve favors overwelming odds. And when I say overwhelming Im saying for one mon cal you better have 3 star destroyers. No joke, unless you want to lose a lot of ships. And at that you'll probably lose one of the SDs.

But this sounds ridiculous, losing that much to one unit. I've never had that happen, but I have had devestating loses before.

iv noticed with auto resove if u auto resolve after your about to win (there wehre 9 isds and there down to 1 isd and u decide to auto resulve) it seems to base the auto resolve off of the ORIGINAL amount of units (my loses are more if my oponet still had 9 isds)

You use auto-resolve for battles that you know you will win but don't want to waste time actually fighting.

Example: Rebels move their fleet away from a planet, you send in your forces to attack their station. It has no defences bar spawns.

Why bother loading up the attack if you know you'll win?

Guest DarthMaulUK

Ground battles are alot of fun. You just have to put some effort into it. I love it when my attack is pressing and I can bring in more troops to strength my assault. I think alot of RTS fans have been spoilt with the likes of Rome: Total War and its mass ground battles. Thats how things were in those days.

The Rebels certainly cant afford to mass armies like that and go into combat and to be honest, Star Wars is all about the space battles really.

DMUK

I like the ground battles more than the space battles. I make a good General, not a good Admiral.

I win the Land battles hands down, but I am terrrible in Space battles.

I try to make the ground battles more balanced and fun. More stuff and surprises.

It is easy to fix the autoresolve.

In every unit description within XML file you have Autoresolve value of the unit. You edit it and problem has gone.

That's not the point; we should not have to edit the game so that Auto-resolve functions correctly.

But then again, it might. Perhaps it does it intentionally. The game manufacturer wants you to play for long periods of time, so auto-resolving everything might not be in their favour; perhaps auto-resolve works exactly the way it was meant to, so that it would deter the player from using it?

That's not the point; we should not have to edit the game so that Auto-resolve functions correctly.

But then again, it might. Perhaps it does it intentionally. The game manufacturer wants you to play for long periods of time, so auto-resolving everything might not be in their favour; perhaps auto-resolve works exactly the way it was meant to, so that it would deter the player from using it?

The Autoresolve is NOT how it meant to be. Medieval and Rome series that has this function do it correctly. You have 10 ATATs and you see 1 rebel infantry guarding the planet. Why wasting time at this battle? Click autoresolve and you're done, but, oh, you might lose 4 ATATs [...].

The XML data values are just incorrect. To give you an example, ATAT has (by default) 1000 tactical health points, whereas it gets 400 autoresolve health points...

EaW:Kindedge mod will fix the autoresolve issue so that it works correctly.

The Autoresolve is NOT how it meant to be. Medieval and Rome series that has this function do it correctly. You have 10 ATATs and you see 1 rebel infantry guarding the planet. Why wasting time at this battle? Click autoresolve and you're done, but, oh, you might lose 4 ATATs [...].

The XML data values are just incorrect. To give you an example, ATAT has (by default) 1000 tactical health points, whereas it gets 400 autoresolve health points...

EaW:Kindedge mod will fix the autoresolve issue so that it works correctly.

That's not quite what I meant.

Perhaps Petroglyph designed the Auto-Resolve so that you would want to go down onto the planet and take out the enemy yourself, instead of just Auto-Resolving all the way until the end.

I also do NOT think the enemy would just have one infantry on the planet; in each Hard game that I played, the AI would have at least some tanks, soldiers, and artillery.

Sometimes, though, Auto-Resolve is a godsend.

Take, for example, Dagobah. In the "The Conflict Begins" Galactic Conquest game, Dagobah is infested with pirates. You may only initially bring in 2 squads, against a plethora of pirate forces: Pod Walkers, Swamp Speeders, etc. etc. With the Auto-Resolve, it ignores this fact. If indeed you did not use Auto-Resolve in this level, and you did not have Airspeeders to your disposal, you would surely lose the battle to the Pirates.

Which is another thing: Squad numbers on certain planets should be raised.

Can anyone explain to me how i lost a fleet commander when i autoresolved a ground battle?

Whoa. That's really stupid. Is that even possible? Can he even go onto the ground? XD

Poor you. ): EaW is full of strange, no-so-wonderful things.

Archived