Home

Damage Stats (Ship/Shield HP & Missle/Laser Damage)

dro

Torpid, Question to you and everyone who might know the answer:

Is there a resource we can tap to get information regarding battle stats information? The instruction manual that came with the game is very general - it lists no information regarding the amount of damage ships can take or do. I'm looking for a resource similar to what blizzard has on their http://www.battle.net/war3/orc/units/blademaster.shtml website - unit stat information. Is this available for EaW?

Example:

I'd like to know what the "hit points" are on ship hulls and shield strength. I'd also like to know hero hit points and the amount of damage concussion missles, turbo lasers, laser cannons, and proton missles do to every ship.

This knowledge is good for the strategically inclined. I'm a big fan of the space skirmishes, and I find myself often wondering - Hmm...how many of ship X do I need to take out ship Y if damage is Z.

Anyone else looking for this information? Where can we get it?

Just one more thing the creators of Rebellion gave you when you bought the game. I'm not picking on Petroglyph, b/c I don't know what their situation was in terms of pressure from Lucasarts.

If they were under no pressure, then yes I am picking on Petroglyph. If they were under pressure, then I blame Lucasarts for a very unpolished game.

Hell, Rebellion came with a freaking Bible that you could read. I miss the days where gaming companies made very detailed gaming manuals that gave background stories, art, individual unit details right down to the kind of gun they are using.

Hell, Rebellion came with a freaking Bible that you could read. I miss the days where gaming companies made very detailed gaming manuals that gave background stories, art, individual unit details right down to the kind of gun they are using.

It happened once gaming became mainstream.

Funny isn't it, as gaming "progresses" the length, quality and immersion of games lags behind.

[/Quote]

Ever heared about budget cuts ?

Right now to produce the game is almost eaqualy as to produce the movie (in cost regard). When you add the fact that the PC game market is droping really fast in the USA you can understand when they want to make any possible save of money. I don't know what you guys exactly got but in Euro version we got the comparaison chart such as "When you are attacked by this awnser with this".

P.S.

You can blame pirates for killing PC game market. PPL don't even bother anymore to buy games they just download warez. The only thing that is successful against pirating is the hardware protection. I have the game where I need to insert an USB key in order to play. The serial on the game disc and the serial encoded within the USB key hardware need to be same and that is impossible to crack unless you can made your own hardware.

well, they cant make a chart with everythings stats until everything is balanced

Good point.

Also, someone said Petro was to blame, but it's Lucas Arts that made the manual. Darth Torpid didn't even see it till he got the game. (that's what he said in one thread, anyway)

I'm gonna ask this again, but how was Rebellion too hard?

It was pretty much exactly the same, except, no propper ground battles.

Well, there was the diplomacy thingy to take into account, you couldn't just land troops and take over the planet. People tend to not like being conquered. :p

I'm gonna ask this again, but how was Rebellion too hard?

Well, I didn't think Rebellion was hard to play in terms of strategy (I know that's what he's probably talking about), but it was hard to play in terms of the interface. It was like you had to micromanage every planet and fleet, balancing numbers of units, ships and buildings. The whole transport thing was a big pain in the back side. I still liked the game, but it was a lot of work to play out a turn. Most people don't like that level of micromanagement.

Well, I didn't think Rebellion was hard to play in terms of strategy (I know that's what he's probably talking about), but it was hard to play in terms of the interface. It was like you had to micromanage every planet and fleet, balancing numbers of units, ships and buildings. The whole transport thing was a big pain in the back side. I still liked the game, but it was a lot of work to play out a turn. Most people don't like that level of micromanagement.

That also made me laugh. Once you get your production planets set, turn on auto manage with your droid helpers. Then they will manage your refinery's, mining, and even garrisons.

That also made me laugh. Once you get your production planets set, turn on auto manage with your droid helpers. Then they will manage your refinery's, mining, and even garrisons.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the economy automation because I didn't always trust the way it built (for example it would always build too many infantry units). It's been more than six months since I played Rebellion. (Yes, I like to play old games like XCOM) Still, If I recall correctly, it was best to build all your ship on one planet, and all your ground troops on another, with multiple space docks and training fac's. Then you had to build fleets of transports and carriers to move your infantry and fighters. There wasn't any automation for that part to the best of my memory. Please be kind if I've forgotten anything else. My old brain is slow sometimes. :)

What I didn't like about the rebelion it was the ability for the fllet to jump from sysem to system. There was no choke sectors. You could have rebel flet jump just in the core system while your forces are in the outer rimm looking for them. Then if you don't have planetary shieleds and planetary cannons you can say by bye to all your buildings.

What I didn't like about the rebelion it was the ability for the fllet to jump from sysem to system. There was no choke sectors. You could have rebel flet jump just in the core system while your forces are in the outer rimm looking for them. Then if you don't have planetary shieleds and planetary cannons you can say by bye to all your buildings.

Frequent spy missions can reveal enemy fleets still in hyperspace routes to your system, therefore you can intercept them. If you don't have planetary shields and they bombard your planet, they risk the chance of hitting civilian targets which can be even worse than losing a few ships.

I remember purposely letting the AI cap planets that are loyal to me just to go and recap them to increase my popularity within the entire sector. A great way to swing your popularity within the entire sector into your favor w/o spending large amounts of time doing diplomatic missions.

If you left your production planets unguarded, then that's your own fault.

Gosh it's hard to stay on topic sometimes.

Anyway, I'm sure that unit specs will be available on some web sites once all the balance settings are finalized. The strengths of all the units are easilly found by looking in the XML files, and I'm sure someone with way too much free time will post charts and graphs of the values. Heck, there's probably already someone working on it. As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy to just play the game and figure out what works best. I've already found some interresting unit combos that perform better or worse than the numbers would suggest.

Well, okay, it was/is timeconsuming, I'll admit that. And you definatly have to think alittle further forward than in EaW. :)

But the game is still so easy to beat on hard, it's pretty much boring.

And I am far from a strategically advanced person.

That made me laugh. You basically just said, "I'm an idiot and don't like to think when I play a game."

OOOKKKK. actully I did not like the way the tactical way you had to fight the ground battles. I seem to get my butt kicked. Weather it was becuase I did not like the game so stopped trying beat the game. Seem to get wiped out before I could build what I needed. That was a long time a go and only vaguly remember the game ( I saw it when I was packing my house).

As for you saying I am calling my self an idiot, I have been playing wargames since 1978 and have played titles like Air war ( an massive micro-managed pilot sim done on a hex map ) and Squad Leader ( a board game with indavidual counters representing a solgers and the varous equipment you may equip him with). as well as several monster games from Avlon Hill.

My computer gaming days started ~1984 If you can call what came out games. I do not know what games I would have to play for you to not to think I was a idiot but I do know that I could careless what you think! But you sure are fast to attack people you do not know. Thus regardless of how L33t you think you are , you are a real loser in life my friend. Enought said to you.

I still think this game rocks even if it is easy to play. I some times like easy strat games where people have to think vs just making a huge army and zerging the other side. The pop cap is great and forces you to take the offence if you want more units.

Archived