Home

What's up with those enormous save files??

laurent40

Yes, my save file at the end of the third rebel campagn mission was 95 mb. It was so big it took 5 minutes to save and after that it just locked up. I couldn't save anymore. To big a file.After restarting the game the save file was gone. I have uninstalled the game and will just wait for a patch to fix this bug. A real shame because I think this a great game.

I continue to have this problem. After the 4th rebel campagin mission, my save game was 97 Mb, and literally took 15 minutes to save, and I've got a decent PC. I literally just walked away and watched TV until I heard the little *beep* signaling that the save was done. It's crazy. I like the game, but when you spend more time waiting for the game to save / load, that's called "a problem". I hope they patch this quick.

I literally just walked away and watched TV until I heard the little *beep* signaling that the save was done. It's crazy.

Hmmm, maybe we need to start a thread about things to do while waiting for the game to save.

Example: dust behind your monitor, push-ups, organize your towel closet by color, etc...

One of the things I've seen mentioned in relation to the long save times is the AI moving a whole bunch of fleets around the map at random. I've seen the random movement, but not the long save times, so I'm not so sure they're related. Are these long save times only in campaign and GC mode, or do you have trouble in skirmish also? Have you tried pausing the game before you open the save menu?

I'm playing the Campaing from the imperial side, about to do the mission to invade mon calamari. My saves are 8-8.5mb. I did notice looking back at my save history (I keep a save after nearly each planet taken) that there was a time when I left my computer on overnight to try and build up some cash. Of course some time during the night the rebels attacked and the attack option screen came up and paused time running, but I did get some money built up.

Anyway, the save before I went to bed was 8mb, the save after I woke up the next morning and fought the battle was 11mb. I quit the game afterwards and later that day played for about 30 minutes and the save was back to 8mb.

I don't know if this is any indication of anything or supplies any additional information or not.

It most probably has to do with each player's computer specs and the cache/memory programs used to handle memory leak. Mine saves/load take 2-3 secs.

I had the memory issue in an old game and the reason was insufficient physical mamory. Simply, the paging file of Windows was too big for the memory i had to handle. Now, even if you do not run into leaking problems (the memory stops and it says you "paging file exceeded..."), the game will horribly slow down in some of his functions, it won't lag; one of this functions is save/load.

The best to find this out is, while you play and want to save/load, just get out of game (not quit) and see the memory/cpu eaw.exe uses that time (ctrl+alt+delete --> threads).

Finally, take in mind that Windows do not use systems memory and cache memory the best way they could. I use the CachemanXP program to keep everything in order; it's the best out there, tested, and it's free :) (btw, im not advertising the program here, i have no reason to do so, just spread out what helps me).

In case you don't know what "paging" etc means, below is a quote from Cacheman's product page (the italic+underlined phrase refers to our problem):

If Windows does recover RAM already, why bother?

As an example imagine a computer with 512 MBytes of RAM. After booting up you have 300 MBytes free RAM left. You launch several applications, work with them and free RAM goes constantly down. After 3 hours there is only 10 MBytes of free memory left. Then you start loading a data file that needs 30 MBytes of RAM. Now the Windows recovery feature becomes active, programs that have not been used for a longer time are moved out to the Paging File in order to make room for 30 MBytes of data. This process consumes both CPU time and causes disk activity - it creates a slow down. Preferably you would like to work with the data immediately, not wait until Windows makes room for it. Instead your cursor becomes a hourglass and you have to wait.

What does CachemanXP differently?

CachemanXP will not wait with the recovery until your system runs completely out of RAM. You can configure at which state (below value) CachemanXP should perform the recovery process. The postpone recovery on high system activity option ensures that no recovery happens if you are working on an important task and do not want to be disturbed. CachemanXP will wait until the job is done and perform the recovery thereafter. Since the recovery happens earlier as usual your system will have free RAM left for a much longer time.

Archived