Home

Music in General

JofaGuht

This thread is mainly one extension of the many (off)topics of the David Lynch thread. I guess we'll start where we left off.

What aspect of it/what sort o’ music, other than audio engineering (whose concept I am not sure about), have you gained interest in?

All aspects really. I think the reason why music is so intriguing for someone that has been into film for so long, is because it is a mood-mender, and a storytelling device, and an art (I think even moreso of Music as an art than I do of film).

I've always been into music but I kind of used to shy away from it, probably because I thought that it had all been done before. But I sort of had this realization one day that it HASN'T all been done before, and in fact the possibilities are endless.

I say audio engineering, although I'm not even really sure what it is, because when it comes to music, I think sounds and textures and the pattern of the sounds are equally as important as the melodies if not more.

To answer your first questiong about "what type"....well I guess I started really loving heavy metal and I used to be huge into bands like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth, but I sort of began drifting away into a genre some might call Prog, but honestly I don't think there's a name for it yet. I like any music that is challenging really. I hate the songs on the radio, and I'd like the songs to be at least 7 minutes long, because it's much easier for me to get lost in it that way.

My all-time favorite bands: Opeth, Neurosis, Primus.

There's a lot more, but those three I think are the ones I'll never stop listening to no matter what.

Do you play any instrument?

I've played piano for about as long as I can remember. I started up guitar about a year ago. But all in all, I'm more about writing than I am playing, though I love playing. I've got hundreds of compositions I put together on my computer's MIDI system. You know, using crappy sounding computer noises to pretend I have a twelve-piece band. It's good practice for layer-building.

Oohh....long post. See why I didn't want to post it in the other thread?

(I think even moreso of Music as an art than I do of film).

I don't. I find it difficult to consider modern 'musicians' (most of them just scratch six/four steel strings and claim that they can play the guitar; that instrument is much more than chords and rithms) artists.

The only people who make music that I'd consider artists are any sort of classical music/orchestra/jazz players. But this has more to do with my biased personality, for I don't exactly like contemporanean music.

It's a complex issue, still.

Regarding guitarists, some time ago I read one of these 'Top 100' lists (I'm not very keen on them, mind you) where Jimmi Hendrix was said to be the best guitarist in the world.

Please, what about Django Reinhardt? or Paco de Lucía, Al Di Meola, and so many other amazing guitar players? I don't even recall them being mentioned at all.

Pop Culture sucks.

Forgive my conservative music taste, but I guess I don't have much respect left for electric guitar players.

But I sort of had this realization one day that it HASN'T all been done before, and in fact the possibilities are endless.

That's exactly the beauty of it. With just a little bit of basic theory on scales one can have an endless amount of musical styles arranged.

I'm more about writing than I am playing, though I love playing

Opposite with me. I rather get hold of sheet music and play them, instead of making my own; still, I adore jamming to Jazz or any other musical style I may like at the moment.

I've got hundreds of compositions I put together on my computer's MIDI system. You know, using crappy sounding computer noises to pretend I have a twelve-piece band. It's good practice for layer-building.

That is certainly one of the many positive things computers have. What programme do you use, if any?

I don't. I find it difficult to consider modern 'musicians' (most of them just scratch six/four steel strings and claim that they can play the guitar; that instrument is much more than chords and rithms) artists.

The music you here on the radio is not the only music in the world. In fact, it's almost none of it. You have to be willing to make impulse purchases, you must have an open mind, and all in all you have to look for good music. But once you find out where it's hiding, it's pute flight from there. Every single week, there's more music available than there was before. There a so man great minds out there, too many to name, they're just not on your local radio station.

Neurosis. Neurosis. Neurosis. They are pure Artists. I'd suggest The Residents as well. For both bands, you need an open mind. Their music is not accessable in the least, and my friends call those bands, especially the Residents, "weird" I think was the word that they used.

egarding guitarists, some time ago I read one of these 'Top 100' lists (I'm not very keen on them, mind you) where Jimmi Hendrix was said to be the best guitarist in the world.

It shouldn't bug you. 100 lists are only there to sell magazines. All the answers are pre-packaged. Let me guess: Eric Clapton was number 2, right? These people are so predictable.

still, I adore jamming to Jazz or any other musical style I may like at the moment.

I'd love jamming if I could do it. It's a tough skill. I know those Primus guys can do it so beautifully; the sounds are so full and ethereal you can't believe it wasn't written beforehand.

What programme do you use, if any?

TabIt. As simple as it gets. It's MIDI, nothing fancier.

I'm heavily into music. My main interest lies in electronic dance music which I know is not to everyone's taste. I'm a hobbyist DJ and I've played a few gigs around my city, I mainly play "Drum & Bass" which is a genre of dance music. But my tastes also extend to hiphop, jazz (mainly of the swing variety) and some broadway show tunes stuff (Gershwin etc).

I also dabble in computer based production using FL Studio. I mainly produce experimental dance stuff with intricate rhytms and sometimes in different time signatures (tackling 5/4 at the moment). I'm also very interested in audio engineering too but that stuff can be very hard! It takes a lot of time to get an "ear" for it.

I like a lot of electronica as well. My brother used to be big into spinning (DJing), and I like a lot of that, though I tend to look for the less repetitive and more ethereal stuff. I really dig the later Orbital stuff, particularly the Blue Album. I also dig what some might call "trip hop" like Tricky, Sneaker Pimps, Massive Attack, and one of my favorite bands, Portishead.

Is Fruity Loops worth the money? I always contemplated getting, but never did.

Ah, trip hop, I like that stuff as well, mainly Massive Attack and Sneaker Pimps. DJ Shadow as well although not all of his work could be called trip hop. On another note, just last night I saw Infected Mushroom play, you may have heard of them, they are pretty big on the international scene. They're a trance duo who also incorporate a bit of metal into their sets. I'm not usually into trance, but their stuff is quite unique.

As for Fruity Loops, I aquired it using less than legal means as the full version costs a couple hundred dollars. It's very easy to use and quite powerful despite what some diehard purists may say.

just last night I saw Infected Mushroom play, you may have heard of them, they are pretty big on the international scene

Yeah I'm familiar. I have one of their albums that seemed a little less colorful and interesting, but then I heard another I really dug. One of my friends if huge into them. I would've gone to that show.

I'm really bad at catagorizing, and my brother is the pro at subcatagories, and there's a billion of subcatagories when it gets to techno. He'll go on and on about the difference between trance, epic, hardcore, happy hardcore, bubblegum, house, drum & bass, goes on and on.

I'm really bad at catagorizing, and my brother is the pro at subcatagories, and there's a billion of subcatagories when it gets to techno. He'll go on and on about the difference between trance, epic, hardcore, happy hardcore, bubblegum, house, drum & bass, goes on and on.

Yeah there are hundreds and it can get pretty tedious, especially when dedicated fans argue endless over what defines what.

Do you see many music shows (of any style)? What's the music scene like in St Louis?

Do you see many music shows (of any style)?

For a good five years, I've been a regular at heavy metal concerts. Some are better than others, and there's a specific channell that will go unnamed that's bringing the worst metal bands into public eye. Either way, we've got this awesome venue downtown, where I've gotten to see Opeth, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Otep, Kittie, Rasputina, just name the best ones. I've seen some good shows at the Pageant as well (although their sound quality isn't as good), but still favorites have come there like Primus, Alice Cooper, and They Might Be Giants. Three excellent shows those (Primus was the best though ;) )

Unfortunately, the proggy/psychedelic stuff I really like doesn't happen very often around here. It seems like I'll have to go up to San Francisco where that scene is thriving. I mean, it's the home base of Neurot Recordings, not to mention The Residents--who, come to think of it, just toured Australia. If you've heard of the What is Music festival, they headlined it I think in four or five major cities down there. Man I would have loved to go.

What's the music scene like in St Louis?

Pretty much like any other US city that isn't San Francisco, Seattle, or New York. We get mostly poppy and metal stuff, whatever's making money.

Although, in University City near downtown, you'll find some awesome local jazz. I'm sure you've heard of the term "St. Louis blues".

For a good five years, I've been a regular at heavy metal concerts. Some are better than others, and there's a specific channell that will go unnamed that's bringing the worst metal bands into public eye. Either way, we've got this awesome venue downtown, where I've gotten to see Opeth, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Otep, Kittie, Rasputina, just name the best ones. I've seen some good shows at the Pageant as well (although their sound quality isn't as good), but still favorites have come there like Primus, Alice Cooper, and They Might Be Giants. Three excellent shows those (Primus was the best though ;) )

Five years? Does that mean you still go or have you stopped? As for those bands, a couple of those names are familiar. A workmate of mine is really into metal and tells me all about them, Opeth is a band that always comes up.

If you've heard of the What is Music festival, they headlined it I think in four or five major cities down there. Man I would have loved to go.

Yeah the What is Music Festival is a big thing over here.

Pretty much like any other US city that isn't San Francisco, Seattle, or New York. We get mostly poppy and metal stuff, whatever's making money.

That's similar to the city I live in, Brisbane. But in my case it's Sydney and Melbourne rather than SF and NY. Brisbane has a bad reputation for having an apathetic music scene (although its more to do with elitism on the part of other cities in most cases)

Although, in University City near downtown, you'll find some awesome local jazz. I'm sure you've heard of the term "St. Louis blues".

I have, although I know nothing about it. Is it anything like Chicago Blues?

Five years? Does that mean you still go or have you stopped? As for those bands, a couple of those names are familiar. A workmate of mine is really into metal and tells me all about them, Opeth is a band that always comes up.

I still go, just less often.

Opeth is kind of in a different league than metal. It's really hard to describe their music. They'll play somethinf heavy, then they'll go into this classical guitar. It's very epic; their songs tend to run a good ten minutes. If you pick up an album, I'd suggest either Blackwater Park or Damnation.

That's similar to the city I live in, Brisbane. But in my case it's Sydney and Melbourne rather than SF and NY. Brisbane has a bad reputation for having an apathetic music scene (although its more to do with elitism on the part of other cities in most cases)

Sydney's not that far of a drive from Brisbane, though, right? Probably what Chicago is to St. Louis, like five hours or less. I've driven to Chicago to see concerts before, although it's not a big plus culture-wise either. It's more of a really big version St. Louis.

I have, although I know nothing about it. Is it anything like Chicago Blues?

Just that it's a pretty good jazz/blues area. Our hockey team adopted the name though. I'm unfamiliar with Chicago blues, unless it has to do with how isolated and depressed you feel when you go there.

Sydney's not that far of a drive from Brisbane, though, right? Probably what Chicago is to St. Louis, like five hours or less.

It's actually 12 plus hours drive. Many people underestimate the size of Australia. It's the same size as Europe.

I'm unfamiliar with Chicago blues, unless it has to do with how isolated and depressed you feel when you go there.

I'm not really familiar with it also but I've heard a few songs (although no idea what they were or who they were by). I spent a week in Chicago last year. I had a good time because I was on holiday but I can understand how you could feel isolated and depressed there.

The North Side of Chicago is awesome, but the overly super-rich-people area of the downtown, it's like brand-name hell. **** like the biggest Wallgreens and Borders of the world. Ugh.

But North Clarke St. is my friend and I wouldn't mind living there.

I stayed at a youth hostel on W Arlington Place in Lincoln Park. That was a very nice area.

Are you talking about the "Magnificent Mile" or whatever it's called? Yeah that place is pretty superficial. Although at night when they light it up it's nice to look at.

I agree that N Clarke is great, very vibrant area, especially where it crosses N Halstead.

CDs I got for my birthday-

Attention Deficit - The Idiot King

Supergroup featuring Tim Alexander(Primus), Michael Manring, and Alex Scolnik. Crazy yet absolutely amazing stuff. Alexander is a heavy drummer; he does not play soft jazz in the least. Manring is known for his symphonic and ethereal way of playing the bass, not to mention just plain psychedelic. Scolnik is a funk/jazz almost-virtuoso. What we have is a very heavy symphonic funk band were you can head-bang, get lost in another world, and admire the instrumentation all at the same time. Absolutely awesome stuff, highly recommended.

Pelican - The Fire in our Throats will Beckon the Thaw

First of all: Best. Album Title. Ever. Other than that they seem to be like a less ambitious version of Red Sparowes. I requested the album to further my search for Neurosis-like bands, but honestly I think this band still needs to grow a little. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, so I might prove myself wrong. But from listening to it, while it's definitely my style, it could be executed more cleanly. They also desperately need a new drummer as theirs seems way too straightforward for their kind of stuff.

Frank Zappa - Jazz From Hell

I'm more into the Apostrophe-era of Zappa, but this album's pretty sweet in the fact that it is absolutely nuts. It's a crazy freaking album. Downside: full of 80's-style synths.

Michael Manring - Soliloquoy

Haven't listened to it yet, but I'm a little worried since the liner notes say he recorded it real-time with no overdubs. I dig his style alone, but I dig his collaborations way more. The Book of Flame was such an excellent album, I fear this may be a decline. However Manring is absolutely god-like so I could be wrong. Will return with more info after I listen.

Isis - SGNL>0

Haven't listened to yet.

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol II

Whoahman! This is about as profound and imaginative as minimalism gets. Here's how I see it: Philip Glass one day had a fever of 105. He was quite disorientated, enough to think that the perfect medicine he needed was five hits of acid. Four hours later well into a bad trip, he threw himself in a bathtub filled with ice. All the lights were off. He then wrote this album. Excellent, excellent music that provokes many a disturbing thought and is strongly recommended.

Supposedly I've got more coming in the mail.

Wow, did you request all of them or else whoever bought you those must have great taste. Your post really reflects your musical knowledge, I'm jealous :p. Of those CDs I'm only familiar with Frank Zappa and Aphex Twin. I'm really interested in that Aphex Twin CD, minimal music really appeals to me. I might pick it up.

Oh, and happy birthday!

Most of them I requested. Except the Aphex Twin CD, my friend burned that for me and if you asked me my thoughts on Aphex Twin a week ago, I would've said, "They're alright, I guess...." but now I believe this Richard D. James guy is a plain genuis and I strongly recommend this album to you, you will be a better person for it. I suggest you listen to it in darkness with your eyes closed focusing only on the music and the thoughts they bring.

• 3 weeks later...

Shuz, I'm looking through different recording schools all over the place, of course, though out-of-country would be a huge plus. Right now I'm at the ASM website, which is in Gold Coast, right beneath you, I believe. Is there anything you can say on the area?

Of course, Sydney is the ideal choice (with San Francisco, Vancouver, and London in the following), but I'd really rather not go to a really big school with elitist mindsets and a lot of theory/history in their cirriculum. These schools tend to be the ones in these big cities, and I'd really rather go to a hands-on-the-soundboard more independent-type school. ASM looks pretty sweet, although I know you said Brisbane has a pretty weak music scene.

The Gold Coast is largely a tourist city running along a series of great beaches. It's about an hour's drive from Bisbane. Apart from the main central area called Surfer's Paradise, the city is mainly just suburban sprawl. The Gold Coast is fine if you like sun, sand and relaxed attitudes. As for it's music scene, I don't know much about it since I hardly go down there for music. All I know is that it's small and is mostly just an extension of Brisbane's scene.

Of course all this has little to do with recording schools. ASM could be a very good school. University's and TAFEs (sort of like community colleges) in the Gold Coast are usually very hands on and practical, so it sounds like what you are looking for.

BTW I might have been a bit harsh on Brisbane's music scene. I wouldn't call it weak, just small and tight knit.

The Gold Coast is largely a tourist city running along a series of great beaches. It's about an hour's drive from Bisbane. Apart from the main central area called Surfer's Paradise, the city is mainly just suburban sprawl.

Hmm....well I think I'm just gonna keep looking. I'm gonna escape from the suburbs just to go back to the f'cking suburbs.

I need my school to break me of my current daily patterns. Either I go to school on a secluded tribal shamanistic island with no electricity and little English, or I'm goin' to a superheavy-culture walking city like I've been dreaming about since I traveled to Sydney seven years ago.

------------------

I'm gonna use this as a segue to a new topic. While I often write music by myself and I love the freedom of doing that, there's nothing like collaboration and jamming. I was in a black metal band about three years ago and there's no stronger high than when three or so people combine an idea and it works. But now, I don't really like black metal. Or really anything that my friends are into. Okay, it's music that my friends may like but nothing they'll ever play.

Finding someone who shares the same mindset of music with you in West County of St. Louis is like trying to find a good CD at Walmart. Suppose you do find somebody, there's a chance they can't play a single instrument. If you can find someone who shares your ideas and can play instrument, that's excellent. Now try finding three or four of these people.

So that's a huge reason why a heavy culture city would be my sort o thing. Of course every human being has a different perception of music, yet it's all about combining these perceptions to create a synergy. San Francisco would be an excellent area for this: 75% of my favorite bands are from the bay area. Yet a small apartment in San Francisco is a price of a mansion out where I live. I can only imagine how much a school would cost over there.

If you are looking for a super-heavy culture city and people to jam with in Australia, Melbourne is your best bet. Sydney is the financial capital of Australia, Melbourne is the cultural capital. It's music scene is much more diverse, dynamic and interesting than Sydney's. But I think you should go to SF, as you said, it the best place for you. Maybe you could get a job there or something. Share an apartment with other musicians? You know, live the struggling artist life hehe.

Or go to London, can't get much more super cultural than that. I'm thinking of going there next year.

Yeah, I wasn't judging Sydney by culture. Just, you know, those memories you made when you were ten turning into paradises. I remember for a good three years or so of after going to Sydney, moving there was all I could think about. But I got over it and I'm pretty sure that memory was pretty idealized.

My dad is a paranoid liberal that thinks the draft is a day from being reinstated, so he really, really wants me to move out of the country. Though, if I were to move out for government reasons, I'd probably go to Canada before I'd go Australia, no offence of course, just seems Canada has it righter than anywhere else right now.

There's a place called the "London Contemporary School of Music" which was where my brother wanted to go. The avant-garde scene is excellent in UK and Europe of course, but their jam scene is missing. Another reason for SF.

SF gives me the creeps though. I traveled up there a few years ago and either having to walk up or drive down those hills gives me eerifying feelings, not to mention that the weather never changes and at night the pollution causes the city to look like Kansas in Wizard of Oz.

Ah....rambling again. More coffee now, I need.

No offense taken. I wholeheartedly agree, Canada has a great government - very progressive. It wouldn't mind living there, and if did I would live in Vancouver. I spent a week there once and loved it. To me it felt like a Canadian San Francisco with bits of Melbourne thrown in.

SF gives me the creeps though. I traveled up there a few years ago and either having to walk up or drive down those hills gives me eerifying feelings, not to mention that the weather never changes and at night the pollution causes the city to look like Kansas in Wizard of Oz.

I hate that with big cities, not being able to see the stars. A few years ago you could see most of the sky in Brisbane, the night sky gets more and more pinky-orangey-purple.

Yeah, I think that's another reason why my brain idealized Sydney. Maybe not anymore, but at least seven years ago I could see the stars and my lungs tasted freshness. The only thing I could think when I made it back home was "What's that smell?"

I read recently that supposedly the carbon monoxide intake of a single breath in Bombay, India is the equivilant of smoking one cigarette.

----

Vancouver would be nice, it's where I originally wanted to go film school when I was into that sort o thing. Supposedly the population is crazy now there ever since they started reforming their Cannabis laws. So I'd probably want to check it out first before I look for a sound school there. I'm sure their domestic prices is heading up to the point of SF as well.

Archived