Home

What would you rate Empire At War?

Darth Phantom

What would you rate Empire at War?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rate Empire at War?

• 10 - Perfect
    • 9 - Great
    • 8 - Very Good
    • 7 - Good
    • 6 - Okay
    • 5 - Average
    • 4 - Mediocre
    • 3 - Horrible
    • 2 - Crap
    • 1 - ****ty

I've given it a 3, horrible, its not the game play, which is great, its the worst online gaming. I spend more time waiting for games than playing. Of the approximate 100 games that I have tried to join, 30% form a connection and get into the game. Of that 30%, 29 have gone oos. Without a relative quick patch, to fix the problem I will be quickly trading in my game, and will not purchase any other petro products. I won't go into the multitude of multiplayer issues, I think they have been well documented, and there is no need to flog them. I'm hoping petro is going to fix this stuff, but after the release of patch 1.02 I havn't heard a word from the developers on what's going on.

I consider myself a patience person, and realise there is a big difference between testing a game inhouse and having it out on the web, there are going to be problems. But at the same time, I've grown tired of games having so many issues out of the box, and at the end of the day I don't care what it takes, I just want it to work.

gave it an 8 great game. Especially some of the more frantic space battles. I mean I dont think ive had a moment like when my weakest defended planet got hit by over 100 fighter rebel fighter squadrens ( mix of X and Y and a few Z) and a bunch of thier corvettes against sucha small force that I had. The moments of such hectic work like that has made this a great game, but yeah the mplayer on this has been lacking in quality so that said seems like hteyve been working on it and although I woulda hoped that they woulda ironed that out before we got it. This is an overall great game and another fine tool to see in very stylish way the destruction of those rebel scum.

LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE! :vsd:

Sindeon

Im not a higely experienced RTS fan, but Ive played Rebellion, GB and Foce Commander.

Ive given it a 6/10

EAW is fun, but I must admit, it hasnt knocked my sox off, like KOTOR did for example... This game brings SW gaming to 2002 IMO. What happenned to the days when Lucasarts used to push the envelope..... :(

mtfbwya

Im not a higely experienced RTS fan, but Ive played Rebellion, GB and Foce Commander.

Ive given it a 6/10

EAW is fun, but I must admit, it hasnt knocked my sox off, like KOTOR did for example... This game brings SW gaming to 2002 IMO. What happenned to the days when Lucasarts used to push the envelope..... :(

mtfbwya

I have to disagree what is fun about games where they are 1 player you beat the game then what? Play the whole game again? Gets boring after a while...I thought KOTR 2 was kind of boring it also HAD WAY TOO MANY BUGS. Never tried KOTR 1...

You need to try KOTOR 1 it is a hundred times better than KOTOR 2. Thats why it was game of the year.

As for EAW I gave it a 9. I love this game some people dont like things about it but I havent seen any real distractors. But there is always room for improvement I felt nothing that had to be in there was missing but there are some things that could have been in there that would have blown my socks off.

I love this game the only improvements i can think of is better AI and actually more of everything: units, missions, campaigns.

This is a great game all the people giving it a low score just wish it was a different game. Well guess what we are rating this game, not the game in your dreams. This game is fun, has beautiful graphics, and it has a good replay value. Its a pretty good accomplishment for the developers.

Comparing different genres isn't fair. As to pushing the envelope, this game has some of the best graphics and sound I've ever seen in an RTS. I'm sure an expansion will add a lot more, especially since Petroglyph is involved. The Zero Hour expansion for C&C Generals was gigantic and made it more like C&C Generals 2 with tons of improvements. Have faith. :)

I rate it 6. I think it ignores already existing EU too much to be truly worth of the Star Wars in the title. The AI needs to be improved (both the AI of your own units as well as the enemy AI). The reinforcement points don't work that well (the rushes to the first landing as after a while everybody knows where the landing points are). Lack of story (the campaign had very little movies in it, and GC could also use missions and hero missions). Lack of external factors (there is the weather, but it hardly does anything, more events on a galactic scale would also be nice). There are plenty of games with these things in it and they are also RTS games or half trun based and half RTS. Just a few:

Rome Total War

Red Alert 1

Command and Conquer 1 and Tiberian Sun

Emperor:Battle for Dune

Force Commander (one of the best stories I have ever seen in a RTS)

Galactic Battlegrounds (but not that much)

ST Armada 1 and 2

Maybe these games did not have everything I mentioned, but they all had something of it an they had it done right. Other things may have been bad about these games, such as balancing issues. However I find that Empire at WAr is too much like C&C Generals gone Star Wars. This game had opportunities, but it didn't take them. This game could have been so much more if it did take them.

I think I might also throw in some whining about the grafx. EaW hardly tests the capabilities of current spec PCs like other games do... There's nothing to look at and say OMG thats awesome like in Half Life, Doom, Call of Duty etc. The cutscenes and character rendering in EaW in seriously low end.

I think I'm going to check out Rome Total War... from what most people say. its seems to be the golden standard for an RTS.

mtfbwya

Astrotoy, check out some of the latest posts in the screenshots thread--there's some freaking awesome stuff in there. Especially the latest shots people have been getting of terrains and water. Definitely on par with other recent stuff. (And, hey, Call of Duty? The Q3 engine is getting old, man...that game didn't have really great graphics, it just pulled off a terrific atmosphere)

I rate it 6. I think it ignores already existing EU too much to be truly worth of the Star Wars in the title.

Can you clarify that? Are you just complaining about the fact that Lancer Frigates are called Tartan Patrol Cruisers? Or is the issue that the events in the campaign/galactic conquest don't fit with the Expanded Universe?

If the latter, the EU is fairly mutable. The books/comics/games contradict each other in many places (especially the games, since new Dark Lords keep having to be invented!). Besides, given the genre of Empire at War, they have to allow some deviation from the "established" EU storyline. You can't very well have an engaging real-time strategy game where they tell you EXACTLY what to do and when so that your game experience coincides precisely with the movies. Or worse, with the comics.

I find the galatic map and the generals feel give this game an intense yet very thoughtful feel. I'd say this is the best RTS games I've ever played. Most of the time I play them and get tired of the same repetition. Having a real time galatic map with such an epic storyline really makes this game super addicting.

As to the graphics, your people make foot-prints in the sand, water splashes with bullets, soft-shadows, and the space battles are outstanding. If there something wrong with graphics, I hope people mention it, instead of 'the graphics suck'. I have everything maxed out and from the dust-winds, to the big explosions, to the rain drops, it's quite amazing.

The way this game plays reminds me of my favorite "RTS" of all time called Syndicate, made by BullFrog.

:)

Well, it's EU in the sense that it makes up a lot of units not in the movies. They aren't EU in the sense that they've appeared previously in other EU sources (many of them anyway), but they're EU in that this is an "official" sources (as games go) which isn't from the movies.

So it's "EU" in the same sense as the original Dark Forces or Shadows of the Empire (both of which take place during the classic trilogy timeline and involve some of the same characters).

The EU was thrown into chaos with the release of the Prequel films, so at this point I wouldn't be too critical of anything in EaW that doesn't conform to old EU sources (or new ones created too recently for the developers to really have time to adapt that material into the game).

So yes, I guess it makes the most sense to say that EaW is geared towards the movies, and they made the rest of the stuff up, for variety's sake.

Can you clarify that? Are you just complaining about the fact that Lancer Frigates are called Tartan Patrol Cruisers? Or is the issue that the events in the campaign/galactic conquest don't fit with the Expanded Universe?

If the latter, the EU is fairly mutable. The books/comics/games contradict each other in many places (especially the games, since new Dark Lords keep having to be invented!). Besides, given the genre of Empire at War, they have to allow some deviation from the "established" EU storyline. You can't very well have an engaging real-time strategy game where they tell you EXACTLY what to do and when so that your game experience coincides precisely with the movies. Or worse, with the comics.

I was just complaining with the tartan cruiser and most of the other units. It's not just that it's 1 unit that was forgotten, but it is a hole lot of units. On both sides of the conflict. Here's a list.

T1-B

T3-B

Assault Frigate (alright, the rebels have the assault frigate, but it looks completely different)

AT-PT

Lancer Frigate

Also I think the TR-MB would have been very usefull in this game, considering the reinforcement points. That unit could have added so much more to this game. I mean A mobile reinforcement point that the enemy can't take and must destroy instead. Even better if the enemy can't even see it on the radar. Though I am thinking about modding a TR-MB in, I can't think of how I would do that.

Basicly this game feels like one of those games that doesn't have SW in the title (so they don't have the license for official SW stuff), but you can't deny that the game is based directly on SW.

Archived