Home

Class Changes?

Niner_777

First off, I'd try to make uniforms a bit more map specific, mostly a clone trooper thing, diffrent uniforms for diffrent words etc... Also I would give the classes minor diffrences, nothing unbalancing just things to make the sides more unique.

Now as for equipment I would change that quite a bit, assault guys would get an additional grenade type, probably some sort of anti-vehicle device.

HVY troops would get less rockets, but the ones they do have are much more powerful, they also loose their mines but get some sort of heavy blaster type weapon.

Engineers lose the shotgun, instead they are armed only with a pistol, but they have a variety of toys to make them quite useful, like detpacks, mines, and a fusion cutter for repairs/slicing/disarming/salvaging mines and other mischeif.

Scouts would get back the recond droid and would get a 'scout pistol' in exchange for the normal one, basicly somthing with a high rate 'o' fire but it overheats fast and has a grappling hook attachment.

Officers would be really changed, my idea is to give them a durable main weapon (differs per class, usually a command pistol) and maybe some kind of moral boost around them. They would also have the ability to capture CP's much faster and carry supplies they can distribute to troops, designating them as ammo-carriers or health-carriers.

Speacial guys would stay roughly the same, maybe a few tweaks to make them a bit better/balanced.

Personally, I'd like to see some new gun models, seeings how they're basically the same as in battlefront 1. Also, I'd like more diverse weapons between each of the factions. The blaster rifles are all basically the same. They should still be balanced, but be different.

Personally, I'd like to see some new gun models, seeings how they're basically the same as in battlefront 1. Also, I'd like more diverse weapons between each of the factions. The blaster rifles are all basically the same. They should still be balanced, but be different.

Yep. They got lazy. Too many repeats of the E-11 rifle (Boba Fett's flame thrower, Dark Trooper lightning gun, etc.). Vehicle HUD's (and first person view for all vehicle gunnery positions) and weapon models I'd really like to see.

But that would require actual work on the part of the modellers and texture artists. It seems like with patches they only want to give us code updates (the one exception was giving us Jabba's Palace for SWBF1 patches, but they probably had that almost done at the time the game came out and only had to tweak it a bit).

Oh well, hopefully modders can give us these things and in such a way that you can see them even if everyone on the server doesn't have them installed... (since they would just be visual changes).

Here's an idea. Each class could have certain weapons to choose from. For example, the trooper class could choose from a regular blaster rifle, silenced rifle, or machine gun. Stuff like that. You would have to choose one type of weapon suited to your strategy. The trooper would have to pick one type of rifle, one type of pistol, and one type of gernade. Each type of weapon would have its advantages and disadvantages. For example, the machine gun would have a high rate of fire, but it would make you move slower. Then there would be different types of sniper rifles, rocket launcers and so on. This would require a lot of work, but I think it would make the game even more fun to play over again.

That is an excellent idea, but the only problem would be doing this while combat is going on. I'm sure one wouldn't want to spend 2 minutes just customizing their chatacter's weapons while his team has lost a bunch of command posts. It could work if there were pre-selected class variations that you would choose in your profile, then once you choose your class during a battle, the variations are already there.

That would be good. You could set the class variations and have that be the default. Then if the situation calls for a change of strategy mid-battle you could tweak the weapons. Then the next time, it would go back to the default that you've already set the first time.

A unit can have up to 8 weapons. First give eight weapons to each unit, then disable each weapon. In order to change your weapon layout, you would have to run to a weapon store locker, weapon box, etc... When you get to this region, you can run a lua script that disables the current weapon and enables a different weapon. (I'm not sure yet if you can change the player's speed ingame.) Everyone would start out with only a pistol, and you could search the map for other weapons. The regions could be coded to only give out a certain amount of weapons. Nice idea, its doable.

If I coud change anything, I would change the weapons so each different weapon looked different (though I suck at moddeling so I won't, and you wouldn't want me to ;) ).

Woah, remember, this is Battlefront. Your first priority is whether to ditch the Arcadeness or not. Having custom layouts is all well and done...but if you die-shoot-die-shoot-run-die-shoot then what's the point? Yeah, I'd "really" get to benefit from a silenced gun when my average lifespan is 30 seconds (unless I'm camping).

Me, I'd make the elite clone a Republic Commando, especially as they have a training limit of 4 for elite units I believe.

Maybe it wouldn't benefit you, but I'm sure there are people who don't die every thirty seconds. The way that they don't die is pobably by using each class's weapon in a way that compliments their strategy. Having more weapon choices just gives you more choices of how to handle different situations. Maybe a little bit of stealth will help you survive longer.

Btw, I also would like a Republic Commando for a unit. They're so cool.

Erm, don't cuss my skills. :) Play Polis Massa as a front range troop and don't camp. In most scenarios, I'd put a fair wager that lifespans drop really low on that level. You cannot argue that Battlefront 2 is not one of those games where things are slower paced. Heck, I suck at Battlefield and have a longer lifespan. I suppose it depends on whether "running for the health machine" counts as a valid tactic or not.

My favourite class is actually the engineer and the standard grunt. Elite rifle is useful as an insta-kill and Shotgun+health for "teh win".

I'm just saying, that in a game that hectic, weapon choices don't really help unless they're overpowered. I mean, all weapons have "tracers" and from a distance you can't hear them anyway, so silenced weapons have not much of a point, unless they kill invisibly. But if they did, "everyone" would choose it because you could camp very efficiently. The game is not as balanced as Republic commando where you can't be "perfect" with every weapon, as each one has a really big flaw, but I don't see Battlefront being one of those games.

You're right. This probably isn't the right game to have these kind of weapon choices. I guess I'd just like a bigger variety of weapons. It seems like every faction has the same guns. Even if they look slightly different and have different clip amounts, they all do the same basic things. Can anyone relate?

I DO relate. I really do understand your frustration, just that Battlefront is a bit quick/slash for subtlety.

Ever played Halo 1/2? I really love the attention to detail between the Covenant and Human designs, they really emphaphise the differing philosophies of the two sides.

Considering that the rebels are basically a terrorist nation, that the Empire are a relaxed peacekeeping force, the CIS are a mass-produced but "cheap" faction, and the Clones are the "money no object" millitary faction, you'd think that their weapons and combat styles would be different. Why can't the rebels have more kinds of snipers or scoped weapons but really suck close up, or that the Empire do get loads of upclose weapon ranges, or CIS have many anti-vehicle options, say?

I actually like the idea of diversity of weapons, a choice between the human or covenant sniper in Halo is crucial in single and multiplay. Human sniper is harder to trace but louder, the Covenant fires faster, no reloads and quiet, but a blatent tracer gives you away...things like that.

Heck, ain't the CIS sniper a basic rifle? So should it even have a scope? Maybe even a simple one-shot rifle that hurts a ton but needs really good aim, like the Q3 railgun.

Okay, I know I'm talking about snipers, just something that I miss from BF1 where at least the snipers were different. If anything, the sides were more different in that game.

I can really agree as well. I would really love to see some more diffrences between similer classes of diffrent factions. It could be just differing rates of fire, or weapon clips for rifles, or a completely diffrent feature certain classes weapons sport. Somthing to give each side it's own unique style.

These are all great ideas. Battlefront probably isn't the right game to have multiple weapons for each class. I totally agree that each faction should have its own playing styles. Those ones that Redtech mentioned were great. I think that having each faction have its own styles would have greatly deepened the gameplay. How they have it now is okay, but it seems like it doesn't even matter which faction you're playing as. The same strategies apply. I'd like it to be deeper. Anyone with me?

Well, a HEAVY BLASTER PISTOL for the Heavy Class would be good, just like BF1.

Also, we need crosshair for snipers. They maybe overpowered in BF1, but noe they get nerfed big time. Loosing orbital strike is reasonable and nice, but not being able to shoot unzoomed is really a pain, esp when you consider BF2 pistols are kinda crabby, and you don't get perm elite pistol online.

Heck, I'd dump the heavy class. I mean, have "Anti-tank" or "anti-infantry" as a Heavy-class type unit.

More diversity=good I think. So you have a fat, slow trooper who owns tanks, and someone else who has a real beefy machine-gun-thing to blow infantry away but is too clunky to dominate.

Yep, I want the Destroyer promoted to "Heavy Infantry".

Sounds good, I'm not sure if we want too many classes though, is anti-tank really a big enough task to warrent an entire class be created around it? Maybe if they change gameplay around a bit, but i'm still more partial to a single heavy class. Maybe with equipment that changes based on map?

The heavy weapons guy would ditch his original equipment (rocket launcher, other heavy weapon, and assorted side arms) for a more anti-infantry heavy weapon that is slow and clunky but quite effective at pinning down enemies to give your guys some breating room.

Heck, this could work with all classes, you could have large map equipment and small scale infantry-only map scale equipment. Basicly it would just mean indoors you have less grenades and mines to use and some guys gain/lose weapons. But you would gain somthing, like better speed or stamina?

Don't see why not that'd work.

Personally, I just feel that the rocket dude is too often argued. Is he supposed to be able to own tanks, is he able to fight well with infantry? I mean, Zerted makes a good case that with the precision pistol AND rocket launcher and high HP, a rocket man owns just about any unit in the game, which is just not on, we can all agree on.

Maybe the rocket dude should be more like the galactic marine etc, which were useful, but more an "all rounder" then a strong candidate in any role.

As for indoor and outdoor classes specifically, well, you can drop the sniper for a start! The machine gun guy is probably adequate, and any chaingun weilding mofos and shotgunners etc. But I would hate to see anymore tight bottleneck levels. Those are not fun and ruin the idea for strategy I think! Take Bespin. It was tight, but you still had space to swing a cat around.

Personally, I'd like to see some new gun models, seeings how they're basically the same as in battlefront 1.

I'd like to see a different gun model for the clone's shotgun because it looks exactly the same as the clone trooper's rifle(not sure about the others)

Archived