it seems every game i get i go through the same process,

*buy game*

*get home*

*install game*

*celebrate*

*hit enter key while start exe is selected*

*game crashes*

*face plant*

i'ts no different this time, as soon as it's done loading the music starts going for about 2 seconds before the entire game crashes back to desktop without any error messages whatsoever. I've downloaded drivers for my gfx card, reinstalled directx and i have no clue what else to do, i already checked in the options/help(can't remember which one) my specs and it says they're fine. so please if you would help this poor lone stormtrooper to get his game to run! :ball::cry8:

i have it updated to 1.02 if theres another patch i don't know about please let me know. My computer ran the demo just fine so i have no clue why it won't run the full version. my specs are:

Nvidia Geforce 2 Mx/MX400

AMD Athlon XP 2200+

1.80GHZ

504MB Ram

i took all of that from my system properties except the gfx card so if somehting redundant just ignore it.

Try running Empire at War in safe mode by going to Start->All Programs->LucasArts->Empire at War->Play Empire at War (Safe Mode).

This will reset all graphical settings and switch everything to the lowest setting. See if that works. Otherwise do you recieve any error messages at all?

Also there is a known error with Nvidia graphic cards and a work around is posted here:

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=105188&tstart=0

EDIT: On second thought, that work around wont work seeing as you cant even get the game to start... well just try my first step and see if that helps.

See if that helps and repost you results :D

pardon the double post just wanted to give an update, the reinstall didn't work so now i'm really stumped, it could be the patch as i haven't tried running it unpatched but then i would have to reinstall again and i really don't feel like doing that.

dreamyr, your computer isn't the best out there and even if you manage to get the game working you'll have all graphic options to low. However, the game should ran...

If you face the same problem with games, try formatting...unless the computer didn't act as you say from the beginning it started working.

Ok this is going to sound really stupid, but try running that little compatability program that comes with the game... (It can be found when the spash screen comes up under "Help" > "Analyze your computer") Who knows, maybe it'll help!

It checks to make sure that every aspect of your computer (both hardware and software) is able to run the game. Now it won't FIX it for you, but at least you can narrow it down. ^_^

i don't think theres anything wrong with my card. I'm going to try and take it back and exchange it or get or refund or something and see if it was a problem with the CD or something as i've almost completely ruled out anything wrong with my computer that could keep it from running.

Yeah, I have the same problem dreamyr does, and the same NVIDIA card. Don't bother trying to download a newer version, it's not compatible. We have almost exactly the same system specs, except for the Athalon bit. I use Windows XP.

Edit: Oh yeah, I've also reinstalled 3 times, rebooted a lot, the system checker runs fine, and all of the DirectX tests come out clean.

That really is a very low end (and old - came out 6 years ago - that's like 60 years in video card years) card and according to the nVidia product specs, does not support DirectX 9. That's why you're having so many problems. You need a new video card.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/LO_20010612_4442.html

Has the product specs... suports up to DirectX 7.

You will continue to experience problems with newer games until you update the card.

No don't give up just yet.

But it's true, your card won't run anything without major problems/at all anymore.

Unless you're on a really tight budget I suggest geting a ATI 9600 series card, they are cheap as hell now and will give you a major boost. Not a bad card for sure. Should be the upper end for your current system, too. And no PCI-E trouble :)

i've got about 130$ extra right now but it's i'm saving some of it for the Guildwars expansion pack coming out. Most of the rest of the money is most likely going to go into miscellanious education related things as well as a drivers license. I can get one at the age of 14 and i'm already 16 so yes i'm a couch potato so bite me :D

anyway, yea i know i need an enire new computer. In some FPS games i play i don't lag my ram just sin't enough to keep up i think.

anyway, yea i know i need an enire new computer. In some FPS games i play i don't lag my ram just sin't enough to keep up i think.

Nope, you just need a new Graphic Card, thats all. Anything under Geforce 3 is becoming rapidly redundant with the newer generation of games taking up so much graphical juice. Try and upgrade into Geforce 5 series at the very least or Ati's equivelent. Maybe an extra 256mb of ram won't hurt either, either way you don't need a new comp.

If you still have the demo installed you may want to uninstall and completely remove the folder you installed the demo to. After that install the game and patch. I had a slightly different problem (my PC activity got to 100%) that I fixed this way. I noticed some of the demo files were still installed when I launched from the gamedata folder (I believe the demoperception.dll and the full game's perception.dll or something along those lines). You may have to manually remove the mods, so that's why you need to delete the folder.

Archived