Home

Anyone interested in "finishing" Trail's Guide?

Kurgan

First off I want to say that we're heavily indebted to Trail (aka "Scott St. Jean" whom I haven't talked to in years, but if he's reading this, thanks man, you're awesome!), and this is just me tinkering with an idea here.

I obviously don't have time to do any work on it myself. I've got far too many other projects going on, in addition to work/school.

However, as we all know, Trail's Guide was one of the best JK/MotS guides out there, since it covered all secrets and was pictorial. He got his guides up pretty quickly back in the day too when people wanted help with the game.

So now the games have passed into classic history, and yet it seems wrong somehow to leave it unfinished. Trail himself admitted he'd gotten sick of MotS and just didn't have the time anymore to complete the guide, so he had to leave it as is. That leaves 10 levels of the game to go (or 9, plus the "Bespin Secret Level").

If anyone is up to the task, of contributing even a few levels, or all of them, I would ask a few things:

1) Do it in the style of Trail's previous entries. So try to get up to that quality standard and match the quality of the screenshots. It shouldn't be less and it shouldn't be more.

2) You'll be credited for your work but if it's put on the site it will be done so in such a way as to not take anything away from Trail's work. That is, it will be clearly marked so he still gets his due for doing most of the work long before we tried. He does have SOME guest material up on his page, so it wouldn't be completely incongruous. The spirit of the site would remain the same and we wouldn't mess with his other material.

So I'm just speculating here, but if ANYONE has any desire to contribute, please contact me via email. Realize you'll be doing all the work yourself, and all I'd be doing is sending you some html files for reference (If you can't download them yourself) and then uploading your contributed files to the server for posting.

Obviously we'd advise that even though Trail is no longer with our network, that doesn't mean you can steal his work, but I'm sure people will be respectful. I'm just thinking how nice it would be to have the guide COMPLETE after all these years, even if the last part is done by other people than Trail.

So, post your thoughts, it's just an idea. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I believe the number of people that fall under the "specialized" category of Jedi Knight players, so to speak, those interested in putting the time into this project are few.

Trail's Guide is an excellent site yes however far outdated. My site http://jkdf2.net covers nearly everything in terms of what Trail's Guide provided/currently provides, with the exception of little. Over at JKDF2.net in some instances we have linked to or in some cases copied information from and provided credit in regards to Trail's Guide.

I have attempted to contact (Scott? I believe his name is) in regards to reproducing his content with no success, his email address is no longer functional and remains someone who has not made himself available to contact.

I really don't think anyone would be willing to spend the time creating a clone of Trail's Guide, so to speak, with updated data, because no one is around to do so, no one has enough time, or no one cares very much, or simply because JKDF2.net is the pwnage and already covers most of that.

Now because Trail's Guide was created as a resource for a smaller category of information, for lack of a better way to put it, Trail's Guide accomplished the creation of an excellent site that specializes simply in the category of guides and soforth, and with my site I am covering a far larger range of Jedi Knight topics, therefore our small little group of people(me and someone else) working on the site are unable to accomplish the level of detail Trail's Guide reached. For this reason, a site specializing in what Trail's Guide specialized in might make sense...

Oh well, just my thoughts there. Of course I'm biased cuz I love my site, but we really have nearly everything your talking about here already set up over there, and while I might feel differently if this was an effort by multiple individuals, the fact that even you would be unable to contribute to such a project makes it clear to me that it would simply be a waste of time...

I understand what your trying to accomplish though, and I respect that. ;)

ReT

• 1 month later...

Well maybe we should start promoting your site or something.

Scott St. Jean was his name, and yeah, thought he's on my ICQ list he hasn't replied to my PM's for many years. He left JK.net when he took a job that left him no time to work on the stuff. Nice guy though! I just hate to see stuff left unfinished (even though I'm as guilty of that as the next person). Anyway, I'll check out your site. If you ever feel like quitting though, let me know and we'll try and preserve it. ;)

A lot of sites have existed with strategy over the years, it's just that they are on those cheesy free hosts usually and disappear after a year or two.

The MSN Gaming Zone is shutting down? Well, the MSN Gaming Zone wasn't that good to begin with, but it was the main online support for a lot of its games, thus being the virtual nail in the coffin for many of them without it. I imagine Microsoft probably sees more money in the console arena, now that they have XBox Live! for two consoles to contend with (Xbox 360 and all that jazz).

Well at least it's good to know that there's true fans of these games still out there willing to work on stuff. Too bad that other guy's JK site had warez on it, otherwise I'd think you guys should have teamed up!

• 1 month later...

Ahh... a misspent youth =). Always interesting to see what comes up when you google your own name. Please feel free to do what you want with that old site, quite dated by today’s standards, it was an interesting hobbie in college to get up on the net and one of the first projects that I did. I was always better at the programming then graphics art.

For those interested in tracking me down, feel free to contact me at my work email address: scottsj@microsoft.com, and you can contact me via IM using the same address on MSN Messenger.

It would be fun to reminisce.

Scott

Ahh... a misspent youth =). Always interesting to see what comes up when you google your own name. Please feel free to do what you want with that old site, quite dated by today’s standards, it was an interesting hobbie in college to get up on the net and one of the first projects that I did. I was always better at the programming then graphics art.

For those interested in tracking me down, feel free to contact me at my work email address: scottsj@microsoft.com, and you can contact me via IM using the same address on MSN Messenger.

It would be fun to reminisce.

Scott

Do my eyes deceive me? Scott! What's it been, six years?

How are you? So you're working for Mr. Gates now? Maybe you can tell the old man to go easy on us poor nerds... ;)

Anyway, Trail, ever since you got a real job we've missed you man... good to hear from you again. I wish I could get MSN messenger to work (via Trillian, I use ICQ and the works with it), but that explains why I couldn't get you to read my PM's way back when, heh.

Your site as you can see, despite its age is being treated with the utmost respect. ;)

Welcome back, in any case... ;)

PS: I realize you just signed up, but please check your private messages when you get a chance.

Archived